NaNoWriMo, anyone?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
Are any of my writing buddies picking up the challenge this year? 3 days left of sanity...
I am finishing the book this year.
For all those unfamiliar and possibly interested...go here.
The site is a bit slow right now, and will be for the first week. After that it gets easier...
NaNoWriMo: National Novel Writing Month

I was just thinking about starting this thread... and here it is.
I'm waffling...
My cousin thinks I should finish last year's. Part of me thinks I should just give it a miss this year. The rest of me says, no way! Gotta do it! Gotta start fresh with a new book, too...
Which means I'll probably be doing it...
=)
Kk.

Ooooooh, I'm debating. I had decided I wasn't going to this year, but the "don't make us come after you" email from Chris Baty was very persuasive. I DO deserve to treat myself to a month of 'me time' after a busy summer and fall. Problem is, I still have a pile of stuff to do, including finishing my cookbook.
I will cheer you all whether I write or not!!!

Ooooooh, I'm debating. I had decided I wasn't going to this year, but the "don't make us come after you" email from Chris Baty was very persuasive. I DO deserve to treat myself to a month of 'me time' after a busy summer and fall. Problem is, I still have a pile of stuff to do, including finishing my cookbook.
I will cheer you all whether I write or not!!!.
happyjacks said:
I didn't get that email...
I need to write my cookbook, too...
And yet, I'm probably going to do it.
Why not? The first year I started five days late. Last year my hard drive crashed. I can't do any worse than I've done the first two years!
=)
Kk.

This sounds so cool! I've never heard of it before. I might try it. Thanks for posting.

I will cheer you all whether I write or not!!!.
happyjacks said:
I didn't get that email...
I need to write my cookbook, too...
And yet, I'm probably going to do it.
Why not? The first year I started five days late. Last year my hard drive crashed. I can't do any worse than I've done the first two years!
=)
Kk.
Sorry, guess I tossed the email.
Thx to happyjacks for sending the email again!

I don't Nano but I had my DH sign up. This will be his first year. He is having trouble narrowing down what book he wants to write. He has sooo many ideas and I really hope this will help him just get it "down on paper." Since he works retail, he's worried about how much time he will be able to devote to it.

I don't Nano but I had my DH sign up. This will be his first year. He is having trouble narrowing down what book he wants to write. He has sooo many ideas and I really hope this will help him just get it "down on paper." Since he works retail, he's worried about how much time he will be able to devote to it..
I didn't think I had time, either...then the characters started clamoring...I wrote one chapter each night. It got really easy after the first few chapters. In all seriousness, it's a matter of sitting down either at the computer or with paper in hand and doing the writing exercises little kids do...just write. Don't worry that it makes sense or about spelling or anything like.
I 'wasted' time checking facts but it helped me sort things out a bit. And I hate rewriting so I was able to get thru the chapters that required 'info' by just getting it in advance.
But, really, just sitting and letting the words out without censure is the way to go.

I don't Nano but I had my DH sign up. This will be his first year. He is having trouble narrowing down what book he wants to write. He has sooo many ideas and I really hope this will help him just get it "down on paper." Since he works retail, he's worried about how much time he will be able to devote to it..
cherry64 said:
I don't Nano but I had my DH sign up. This will be his first year. He is having trouble narrowing down what book he wants to write. He has sooo many ideas and I really hope this will help him just get it "down on paper." Since he works retail, he's worried about how much time he will be able to devote to it.
Like Bree was saying... the whole point is to "get it down" and then go back and fix it all later.
I'm YellowSocks over there, too... have him contact me and be one of my nano friends.
=)
Kk.

cherry64 said:
Like Bree was saying... the whole point is to "get it down" and then go back and fix it all later.
I'm YellowSocks over there, too... have him contact me and be one of my nano friends.
=)
Kk.
I'll just log in and do it.
wink_smile.gif
That's how anything get done around our house any way....
Thanks!
cheers.gif

Okay, I'm in. I never heard of it til you mentioned it.
The part that got me was step four telling me that I could eat lots of chocolate!!!

The part that got me was step four telling me that I could eat lots of chocolate!!!.
penelope said:
The part that got me was step four telling me that I could eat lots of chocolate!!!
Did I mention my inner author lives on chocolate? Much the same way a koala bear has a diet consisting soley of eucalyptus leaves.
Uh-oh. It's sounding more and more like I'm in too.

The part that got me was step four telling me that I could eat lots of chocolate!!!.
penelope said:
Did I mention my inner author lives on chocolate? Much the same way a koala bear has a diet consisting soley of eucalyptus leaves.
Uh-oh. It's sounding more and more like I'm in too.
My inner author lives on wine and choco chip cookies. At the wine store they were asking, 'So how's the book going?'

This sounds so cool! I've never heard of it before. I might try it. Thanks for posting..
IronGate said:
This sounds so cool! I've never heard of it before. I might try it. Thanks for posting.
If you do, let me know and I'll add you as one of my nano friends.
=)
Kk.
YellowSocks said:
IronGate said:
If you do, let me know and I'll add you as one of my nano friends.
=)
Kk.
Done :). I'm IronGate over there, too.
Still need to poke around some more to figure everything out.

NaNo begins! I'm all settled in with wine & cookies. And obviously procrastinating already...

NaNo begins! I'm all settled in with wine & cookies. And obviously procrastinating already....
Can we count the words typed here?
or here?
or here?
IronGate said:
or here?
or here?
No. No. And no.
wink_smile.gif

Did you ever see or read 'The Shining'? He sits at the typewriter and all he writes is 'All work and no play make Jack a dull boy.' At first. Then it's just Redrum over and over.

NaNo begins! I'm all settled in with wine & cookies. And obviously procrastinating already....
or here?
or here?
IronGate said:
or here?
or here?
No. No. And no.
wink_smile.gif

Did you ever see or read 'The Shining'? He sits at the typewriter and all he writes is 'All work and no play make Jack a dull boy.' At first. Then it's just Redrum over and over.
Bree said:
IronGate said:
or here?
or here?
No. No. And no.
wink_smile.gif

I have a story about that! When I was in high school, I worked in the housekeeping department of a local hotel, and the manager was reading that book. She told me I HAD to read it, but wouldn't tell me what it was about. So I read it. It was the first scary book I'd ever read, and my imagination went wild, especially since I was working in a hotel. The book was influenced by my hometown, and there are references to many things and places that were real, so it was easy to get swept up into it. My job at the hotel was to do the laundry, and then double-check the cleaned rooms. Our policy was to put two sets of eyes on every room to assure it was "up to snuff". I can tell you that for a time it became very nerve wracking to open a door that I did not expect to find closed!
About the time we were reading this book, someone booked two rooms for over a month, and our instructions were that no cleaning would be necessary during the duration of the stay. HUH? There was a LOT of speculation about what was going on in those rooms, and finally a couple of us couldn't stand it anymore and went in. The rooms were FILLED with all kinds of equipment, mostly photographic. Spread out on every horizontal surface were hundreds of photographs of people and places from all around our area. It finally started to dawn on me that the rooms had been booked by location scouts, and based on the pictures we found, they were scouting for The Shining! The part of the Overlook Hotel was played by the Stanley Hotel, which is about 30 miles from where we were. Two of my cousins had their wedding receptions there.

or here?
or here?
IronGate said:
or here?
or here?
No. No. And no.
wink_smile.gif

Bree said:
IronGate said:
or here?
or here?
No. No. And no.
wink_smile.gif

I have a story about that! When I was in high school, I worked in the housekeeping department of a local hotel, and the manager was reading that book. She told me I HAD to read it, but wouldn't tell me what it was about. So I read it. It was the first scary book I'd ever read, and my imagination went wild, especially since I was working in a hotel. The book was influenced by my hometown, and there are references to many things and places that were real, so it was easy to get swept up into it. My job at the hotel was to do the laundry, and then double-check the cleaned rooms. Our policy was to put two sets of eyes on every room to assure it was "up to snuff". I can tell you that for a time it became very nerve wracking to open a door that I did not expect to find closed!
About the time we were reading this book, someone booked two rooms for over a month, and our instructions were that no cleaning would be necessary during the duration of the stay. HUH? There was a LOT of speculation about what was going on in those rooms, and finally a couple of us couldn't stand it anymore and went in. The rooms were FILLED with all kinds of equipment, mostly photographic. Spread out on every horizontal surface were hundreds of photographs of people and places from all around our area. It finally started to dawn on me that the rooms had been booked by location scouts, and based on the pictures we found, they were scouting for The Shining! The part of the Overlook Hotel was played by the Stanley Hotel, which is about 30 miles from where we were. Two of my cousins had their wedding receptions there.
Ok, now MY story about The Shining...I saw it at the drive in, on a dark and stormy night (really). We were staying with friends who were caretakers of this mansion in NY. There was no room in the caretakers' house so we were going to stay in the Piggery. Really, it used to be a piggery but was turned into a rather fancy club where members could come to stay and hunt.
So, here we are, in the dark in this very long building with rooms on either side of the hallway. The 'big wigs' had ensuite rooms but we were given one of the 'dorm-style' rooms where you had to use the 'gym-style' bathrooms down the hall.
Yeah, so picture it. It's dark, it's raining, the thunder is pounding, lightning is flashing and I have to pee. I have to leave the room, go down the hall and into this huge, dark bathroom with all these shower cubicles WITH CURTAINS on them. Holy cow. I don't think I have ever been that scared in my life.
Seriously loooooooong hallway, with all these doors. Big, white-tiled bathroom, shower curtains billowing because of the draft from me opening the door. And I'm supposed to go in there and pee? Ye gods and little fishes.
Have I ever mentioned going to a talk given by Stephen King? Here's a guy you wouldn't want to run into in a dark alley. He's gaunt. His hair is all over the place. He makes the hair stand up on your neck by talking in the most natural voice in the world about how the most natural things in the world turn really bad really quickly.
I had never had the hair stand up on my neck before. It really DOES happen.

Back