Nantucket

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandynn

Reaction score
If you were going to Nantucket where would you stay and what would you do? Is Sept a good time to go?

Oh my goodness! I will be working at the Centre Street Inn in October! Check out their website - www.centrestreetinn.com - contact the owners - I'm sure they will be a wealth of information as they have lived there most of their lives! Sept. should be lovely - I have been told that Oct. may be a bit chilly, but I am excited! Let me know if you go!

Oh my goodness! I will be working at the Centre Street Inn in October! Check out their website - www.centrestreetinn.com - contact the owners - I'm sure they will be a wealth of information as they have lived there most of their lives! Sept. should be lovely - I have been told that Oct. may be a bit chilly, but I am excited! Let me know if you go!.
How cool for you. I kinda am kicking this around. I would love to go there and we just had guests that go there in Sept every year. They said that is the time to go. I don't care about going when it is cold. I am a baby about the weather. If we can't go this year maybe next. How did you get to work at the inn? I want to know all about it.
It sounds like a lovely place.
Our guests said to fly in to Boston and take the bus to Hyannis. Then take the fast people ferry. If you take the slow one they said it was a two hour ride. Then they said you can rent a bike or take a taxi around the island. They said you don't need a car.
There looks like a lot of place that are cool there. The average high in Sept is 70. So that is pretty good for me.

You have done more research than me thus far! I was wondering what the best airport would be, but I will already be on the east coast for my nieces wedding so my sister and I will be driving up together. We will be there Oct. 5th - 17th if you change your mind - maybe it will be a warm fall!
Someone recommended us to the owners and they hired us! I think this is actually the 1st job (in 8 years) we got without actually meeting the owners - not a place that I just drive thru on my way to another job (which is how we get a lot of jobs). I like the meet and greet process.

Oh my goodness! I will be working at the Centre Street Inn in October! Check out their website - www.centrestreetinn.com - contact the owners - I'm sure they will be a wealth of information as they have lived there most of their lives! Sept. should be lovely - I have been told that Oct. may be a bit chilly, but I am excited! Let me know if you go!.
How cool for you. I kinda am kicking this around. I would love to go there and we just had guests that go there in Sept every year. They said that is the time to go. I don't care about going when it is cold. I am a baby about the weather. If we can't go this year maybe next. How did you get to work at the inn? I want to know all about it.
It sounds like a lovely place.
Our guests said to fly in to Boston and take the bus to Hyannis. Then take the fast people ferry. If you take the slow one they said it was a two hour ride. Then they said you can rent a bike or take a taxi around the island. They said you don't need a car.
There looks like a lot of place that are cool there. The average high in Sept is 70. So that is pretty good for me.
I think Sept will be gorgeous. You won't get the leaf colors but the temps are usually great and, if it is anything like here, the first couple of weeks of the month are dead. BUT, it's the kind of place you need to plan everything. Keep in mind that the ferry ain't cheap and you need to have a reservation. You might want to look into flying from Boston to Nantucket on one of the puddle jumpers.
I think cars are discouraged, especially with the ferry fees and really small streets.

i used to live on nantucket. was there last month. september is a great time to go.
as an off islander, the price is high to bring your own car over on the slow ferry. car rentals on island are also pricey, so it's a toss up. i prefer to have my car with me so i can go everywhere i want to. but if you stay in town, you can walk everywhere.
if you are a bike rider, you can bring one over on the ferry or rent. the shuttle bus is awesome and cheap, it also accommodates bicycles, but it doesn't run year round so you have to check. moped rentals are huge on nantucket just be really really (really) careful.
my cousin gerry owns the century house and it's a beautiful place, in town but up the road just out of the way. amazing continental breakfast and gorgeous, but it's expensive.
you can rent a cottage since a lot of the rates drop after labor day. my favorite area is madaket, best sunsets ever. look on vrbo and homeaway if that interests you.
check out the nantucket chamber of commerce website.
if you have specific ideas, i can point you in a direction.

You have done more research than me thus far! I was wondering what the best airport would be, but I will already be on the east coast for my nieces wedding so my sister and I will be driving up together. We will be there Oct. 5th - 17th if you change your mind - maybe it will be a warm fall!
Someone recommended us to the owners and they hired us! I think this is actually the 1st job (in 8 years) we got without actually meeting the owners - not a place that I just drive thru on my way to another job (which is how we get a lot of jobs). I like the meet and greet process..
Don't expect temps above the 70's in Oct. Don't even expect temps IN the 70's. Especially on an island.

i used to live on nantucket. was there last month. september is a great time to go.
as an off islander, the price is high to bring your own car over on the slow ferry. car rentals on island are also pricey, so it's a toss up. i prefer to have my car with me so i can go everywhere i want to. but if you stay in town, you can walk everywhere.
if you are a bike rider, you can bring one over on the ferry or rent. the shuttle bus is awesome and cheap, it also accommodates bicycles, but it doesn't run year round so you have to check. moped rentals are huge on nantucket just be really really (really) careful.
my cousin gerry owns the century house and it's a beautiful place, in town but up the road just out of the way. amazing continental breakfast and gorgeous, but it's expensive.
you can rent a cottage since a lot of the rates drop after labor day. my favorite area is madaket, best sunsets ever. look on vrbo and homeaway if that interests you.
check out the nantucket chamber of commerce website.
if you have specific ideas, i can point you in a direction..
Good info. Thank you so much.

The owners of the Centre Street Inn are on another chat board and are very nice people.
RIki

The owners of the Centre Street Inn are on another chat board and are very nice people.
RIki
Yeah! Good to know!

We did a tour of New England when we lived out West & flew into Boston & rented a car. Seems like we took the ferry over from Wood's Hole to Martha's Vineyard, and then left the car there when we went to Nantucket. We ate fish & seafood. Walked on the beach & biked everywhere. There are some museums. September sounds like a great time to go! Enjoy!
Here's their visitor site: http://www.nantucket.net/

almost forgot! a lot of places didn't used to take credit cards ... some still don't. but they WILL take personal checks. so check ahead of time so you don't go in without cash or a check.
BRING all your essentials because there are no shopping malls or 'cheap' stores and you don't want to be hit with tourist prices. there is a stop and shop but the prices are higher here. everything is priced higher here.
if you go when the buses are running, it's very inexpensive to ride the different loops
definitely go the lighthouses ... you have to have a beach vehicle and sticker (rentable) to get out to great point light and sometimes access is restricted ... but brant point and sconset light you can drive and walk to.
whaling museum (sad but true) ... you get a historical society ticket and check out the sites using that ticket
nantucket ghost walk if you'd like to walk around at night with a guide ... he's the first one who did the ghost thing, there is another night walk, too.
sconset (also called siasconset) very picturesque, tiny and exclusive ... have lunch at the sconset cafe ... crowded but worth it. ice cream at the sconset general store or back in town near the steamship authority
the summer house restaurant, also in sconset ... love love love the piano bar .... $$$ to eat there
the starlight theatre (movies and cafe) has only 90 seats, yes 90. you can buy tickets ahead of time but don't go off too far or you might come back and not be able to sit together! the dreamland theatre is still being renovated ... they were showing movies outside, don't know if that's still happening
if you like plays and live performances, the theatre workshop in town is the place to go.
you might like the maria mitchell observatory or just get up to the windmill (i used to live five houses down) nighttime you will see stars, day time check out the mill.
faregrounds restaurant on fairgrounds road (yup two spellings) they have all you can eat specials of a different main course i recommend the prime rib and the turkey dinners. pub seating is fun ... on quiet nights you can grab a board game or watch tv. reasonable prices
best new england clam chowder is at the seagrille
something natural for great take out sandwhiches
bean on center street for coffee
56 union for a lovely dinner
pearl and 21 federal for dinner are awesome but $$$$
ak diamonds or rose and crown for another reasonably priced meal
sophie t's for pizza - typical pizza, good service and low prices
go up in the bell tower of the first congregational church (i was married at this church) $5 ... and it's about 100 steps up. bring your camera !
wear good supportive sneakers and walk up and down all the streets in town. check out all the boats moored in the harbor
breakfast ... my favorite is the downyflake. (they make their own donuts) if you go, email me for my name and tell them i sent you.
also go to the fog island cafe for breakfast. yumm.
places for lunch or dinner ... brotherhood of thieves,
get over to madaket and watch a sunset, very cool.
check out some of the beaches ... there are a lot.

almost forgot! a lot of places didn't used to take credit cards ... some still don't. but they WILL take personal checks. so check ahead of time so you don't go in without cash or a check.
BRING all your essentials because there are no shopping malls or 'cheap' stores and you don't want to be hit with tourist prices. there is a stop and shop but the prices are higher here. everything is priced higher here.
if you go when the buses are running, it's very inexpensive to ride the different loops
definitely go the lighthouses ... you have to have a beach vehicle and sticker (rentable) to get out to great point light and sometimes access is restricted ... but brant point and sconset light you can drive and walk to.
whaling museum (sad but true) ... you get a historical society ticket and check out the sites using that ticket
nantucket ghost walk if you'd like to walk around at night with a guide ... he's the first one who did the ghost thing, there is another night walk, too.
sconset (also called siasconset) very picturesque, tiny and exclusive ... have lunch at the sconset cafe ... crowded but worth it. ice cream at the sconset general store or back in town near the steamship authority
the summer house restaurant, also in sconset ... love love love the piano bar .... $$$ to eat there
the starlight theatre (movies and cafe) has only 90 seats, yes 90. you can buy tickets ahead of time but don't go off too far or you might come back and not be able to sit together! the dreamland theatre is still being renovated ... they were showing movies outside, don't know if that's still happening
if you like plays and live performances, the theatre workshop in town is the place to go.
you might like the maria mitchell observatory or just get up to the windmill (i used to live five houses down) nighttime you will see stars, day time check out the mill.
faregrounds restaurant on fairgrounds road (yup two spellings) they have all you can eat specials of a different main course i recommend the prime rib and the turkey dinners. pub seating is fun ... on quiet nights you can grab a board game or watch tv. reasonable prices
go up in the bell tower of the first congregational church (i was married at this church) $5 ... and it's about 100 steps up. bring your camera !
wear good supportive sneakers and walk up and down all the streets in town. check out all the boats moored in the harbor
breakfast ... my favorite is the downyflake. (they make their own donuts) if you go, email me for my name and tell them i sent you.
check out some of the beaches ... there are a lot..
Thanks this is such good info to know. :)

Yes, thanks zillions SeaS!

Yes, thanks zillions SeaS!
you're welcome. it really is a beautiful place ~ one of my favorites and i was lucky to have lived there for a while.
like i said, very expensive but there are huge advantages too. all the beaches, very low crime rate (but please DO lock your car or room or cottage where you're staying ... don't be lulled into thinking there is no crime because there is, the kind that grabs and runs) we loved getting permits to go clamming and scalloping ... people go fishing from spring through november ... you can fly cast at miacomet beach and also fish at dionis beach or off the jetties near brant point light. and there are fishing charters; you'll see the boats lined up down near where the hyline ships come in.
just strolling around town, up and down the streets off cobblestoned main street is a kick ... you almost forget you have to stay on the sidewalk on those side streets and watch out for cars. there are no traffic lights on nantucket and only a couple stop signs. new bike paths too.
check out bartlett's farm (produce, flowers, homemade soups and yummies plus events) and nantucket vineyards and cisco brewery nearby. they have wine tours ($20 i think ... you need a reservation)
also don't know if i mentioned the atheneum (library)
even if you don't fly in on the puddle jumpers that take about 15 minutes from takeoff at hyannis til thet land on nantucket, you should go out to the airport just to see what it's like. a casablanca airport with the planes right there ... they have the more formal security for big planes to boston etc, but i flew out and back a month ago and it was the same old nantucket. very casual and numbered cards as tickets. on a day when the weather is clear and the winds are low, it's gorgeous from up there.
i could go on and on ... obviously.
embaressed_smile.gif

Back