National Parks to get a shot in the arm - Ken Burns "The National Park: America's Best Idea" series

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JBloggs

Reaction score
Article excerpt: Autumn is shaping up sweetly for the Blue Ridge Parkway. The first fall colors are starting to burst, the weather has been cool and comfortable and -- best of all -- a Ken Burns documentary dedicated to national parks is slated to premiere tonight.
"I couldn't have planned it any better," said Phil Francis, parkway superintendent.
Representatives with the National Park Service, including the managers of park service units in Western Virginia, are expecting a tourism bonanza spurred by Burns' six-part series, "The National Parks: America's Best Idea," which begins tonight at 8 on PBS. (Sunday Sept 27)
The 12-hour documentary is expected to be another treasure chest of Burns-produced ratings gold for PBS.
The filmmaker's previous television documentaries -- which include "The Civil War," "Baseball," "Jazz" and "The War" -- have attracted almost 40 million viewers each, won numerous awards and have often increased the public's interest in the films' subjects. Likewise, "The National Parks" is expected to be a boon for the parks, which are already seeing attendance increase this year.
INNKEEPERS IF YOU LIVE NEAR OR ENROUTE TO A NATIONAL PARK I HOPE THIS NEW DOC WILL BRING YOU A BOON IN BUSINESS! JB

I taped last nights airing, will watch with D. tonight when he gets home from work.

Yes I watched last night. It was on every PBS channel several times during the night.
Very interesting. I am anxious to see the one on Shenandoah.

DH started watching it - until he got to the bashing of the "right" that usually takes place in a Burns documentary. OFF!! It would have been nice to just focus on the beauty of the parks and the fact they were created. And this is a comment on the documentary - not getting political. OK, I know - shut up, Kathleen.

DH started watching it - until he got to the bashing of the "right" that usually takes place in a Burns documentary. OFF!! It would have been nice to just focus on the beauty of the parks and the fact they were created. And this is a comment on the documentary - not getting political. OK, I know - shut up, Kathleen..
I expected a bit more on the Scenery side..but the history is what actually makes it. It was good to hear that too.

I will take the left or the right or the center as guests who see it and want to go to the National Park near me. :) BRING EM ON!

I will take the left or the right or the center as guests who see it and want to go to the National Park near me. :) BRING EM ON!.
Jo Bloggs said:
I will take the left or the right or the center as guests who see it and want to go to the National Park near me. :) BRING EM ON!
Yes, the National Parks have been losing visitors for the past ten to fifteen years. I have heard Harpers Ferry gets half the visitiors it got 15 years ago. I have only seen a 45-minute preview but it was enough to make me really want to see some of the parks I've never visited.

I will take the left or the right or the center as guests who see it and want to go to the National Park near me. :) BRING EM ON!.
Jo Bloggs said:
Yes, the National Parks have been losing visitors for the past ten to fifteen years. I have heard Harpers Ferry gets half the visitiors it got 15 years ago. I have only seen a 45-minute preview but it was enough to make me really want to see some of the parks I've never visited.
muirford said:
Jo Bloggs said:
Here is a website with info and lots of great photos to entice even more http://www.pbs.org/nationalparks/history/
I missed the first episode but will try to watch it tonight. We have a couple different national monuments near us which are included in that Parks system, I might have to blog them up again soon. :)
I have it stuck in my craw to buy a travel trailer and hit the road...so many nice KOA type places now and in all these National Parks... Just have to offload a B&B first... :)
You can buy Nat Parks UNO and Scrabble games here

Jo Bloggs said:
Amazingly Shenandoah is up at least 5 % this year!! We started watching the second episode last night and husband was alseep half hour into it. I couldn't take it any longer either:-( I know it's all interesting...but the narrations just lull you off to sleep. I don't think I will be watching the rest until they get to Shenandoah.

Jo Bloggs said:
muirford said:
Jo Bloggs said:
Here is a website with info and lots of great photos to entice even more http://www.pbs.org/nationalparks/history/
I missed the first episode but will try to watch it tonight. We have a couple different national monuments near us which are included in that Parks system, I might have to blog them up again soon. :)
I have it stuck in my craw to buy a travel trailer and hit the road...so many nice KOA type places now and in all these National Parks... Just have to offload a B&B first... :)
After a year or two of innkeeping and not seeing the beautiful NW, we had a "great idea". We would buy a truck, pay it off, then a truck camper so we could take advantage of the slower season when we would have some time mid-week with no guests. We figured we would throw the dog in the truck and go see natural areas and commune with nature.
Well, we bought a huge truck for the "business". We paid it off in a couple of years. We then went and bought a beautiful camper with everything you could possibly want in it to be comfortable (my idea of roughing it is staying in a place with no room service),
So now we're talking about being innkeepers for about 4 years by the time we got the whole setup. By this time, business was much better and now we had no time to go use it! I think we've only used it 4 times, and it was only for 3 days each time.
Hey Joe, wanna buy a beautiful camper????
smileystooges.gif

Jo Bloggs said:
muirford said:
Jo Bloggs said:
After a year or two of innkeeping and not seeing the beautiful NW, we had a "great idea". We would buy a truck, pay it off, then a truck camper so we could take advantage of the slower season when we would have some time mid-week with no guests. We figured we would throw the dog in the truck and go see natural areas and commune with nature.
Well, we bought a huge truck for the "business". We paid it off in a couple of years. We then went and bought a beautiful camper with everything you could possibly want in it to be comfortable (my idea of roughing it is staying in a place with no room service),
So now we're talking about being innkeepers for about 4 years by the time we got the whole setup. By this time, business was much better and now we had no time to go use it! I think we've only used it 4 times, and it was only for 3 days each time.
smileystooges.gif

Breakfast Diva said:
smileystooges.gif
Now there is a road trip for you! Or we could meet in the middle.
Nope we can't buy it with the business, that is for certain. Every time I walked past it I would feel sick - either guilt for buying it without using it, or sick because I am strapped in here and cannot go and use it. :)

i have heard that the number of visitors to the national park near me was up a good amount this year. our occupancy each month was up over last year as well. ( not bragging, just saying)

i have heard that the number of visitors to the national park near me was up a good amount this year. our occupancy each month was up over last year as well. ( not bragging, just saying).
mollysmom said:
i have heard that the number of visitors to the national park near me was up a good amount this year. our occupancy each month was up over last year as well. ( not bragging, just saying)
YOU CAN BRAG! Congrats!
If you blog - blog your national parks...people will be googling them right now...I could barely watch without wanting to load up the trailer and head off to Yellowstone...oh wait, haven't bought the trailer yet!
The new trailers have the bump outs so tons of space, larger bathrooms w showers, light weight...in any weather and you are set. As you can see I am saying sayonara to tent camping...I have reached the no-more tent camping age/stage.

We are very close to a national park ei: New River Gorge but its been a slow year for all of us here including the rafting companies....would love to see the documentary though.

Jo Bloggs said:
muirford said:
Jo Bloggs said:
smileystooges.gif

With the price of gas and the economy, I know a lot of people that always camped that are leaving their RV's in the driveway or selling them.
We have watched the first two episodes and it did make us want to go see the National Parks, especially the ones out west. When our kids were young we spent many a vacation in Maine on Mount Desert Island in Acadia National Park.

Jo Bloggs said:
Amazingly Shenandoah is up at least 5 % this year!! We started watching the second episode last night and husband was alseep half hour into it. I couldn't take it any longer either:-( I know it's all interesting...but the narrations just lull you off to sleep. I don't think I will be watching the rest until they get to Shenandoah.
catlady said:
We started watching the second episode last night and husband was alseep half hour into it. I couldn't take it any longer either:-( I know it's all interesting...but the narrations just lull you off to sleep. I don't think I will be watching the rest until they get to Shenandoah.
Ken Burns shows tend to do that to you.

Back