Need a garnish for baked oatmeal

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
We’re having baked oatmeal and I need something to dress it up. We usually serve it in ramekins, but I don’t have enough of them. It just looks like a big blob on the plate. What can I put on top to make it look less like dog food?

Fresh red raspberries or strawberries. I top my baked oatmeal with fresh red raspberries and have vanilla Greek yogurt on the side.

A little Apple compote might also work. Peel, Slice and cut to bite size pieces. Put in covered microwave proof dish with a bit of water, oj, apple juice and nuke till soft, while still hot sprinkle in cinnamon and sugar to taste, with a bit of cornstarch to thicken. It’s a quick process. I use this on pancakes.

As it turns out, after a convo this morning with the person who doesn’t eat anything, they really don’t eat dairy but find that saying they only eat vegan is so much easier. So, not making the baked oatmeal being as it turned suddenly warm here.

But, I’ll save up that apple compote idea for fall.

We use a silicon Texas size muffin tray (up to 12 muffins) to make individual servings, then when hot glaze with orange marmalade! One of our most requested recipes! (For vegans we adapt the recipe using almond milk and applesauce instead of cow's milk and eggs). The muffin tray also works wonderfully for a myriad of other recipes.

We use a silicon Texas size muffin tray (up to 12 muffins) to make individual servings, then when hot glaze with orange marmalade! One of our most requested recipes! (For vegans we adapt the recipe using almond milk and applesauce instead of cow's milk and eggs). The muffin tray also works wonderfully for a myriad of other recipes.
I like that idea!

I use up berries and stone fruit by making compote which is beautiful on a plate with anything...waffles, pancakes, etc. Just simmer fruit with some sugar, a drop of water and some sugar. I add cinnamon, ginger, and a pinch of cumin.

... What can I put on top to make it look less like dog food?

Torani sauce. Not syrup, sauce. It comes in caramel, dark chocolate and white chocolate in a bottle with a top. (There are other flavours, but those are the 3 available here). https://www.amazon.com/Torani-Sauce-Chocolate-Caramel-Packaging/dp/B009ARGXZK and you can draw a ribbon over the baked oatmeal. If course you can make your own with fruit. But you will need to make sure it's really blended and thicken it with corn starch or better, with clear jel. https://www.amazon.com/Hoosier-Hill-Farm-Instant-Clear/dp/B008GHRYIK

A dollop of yogurt with a strawberry or orange slice.

But I like the caramel sauce ribbon idea.

Top with mock Devonshire cream and a stemmed cherry. Mock Devonshire cream recipe was given to me by Debbie Anderson (Victorian House Scones) who said I can give it out. 1 Tablespoon sugar whipped with 3 OZ of softened cream cheese, adding slowly 1 cup of whipping cream (heavy cream). This is excellent. (IF you have mint in your yard, you can also add a sprig of mint.

I have herbs growing around the perimeter of the house. Cannot kill mint and it is useful as a garnish for many things. I also have sage and chives (I get sage year round)

Back