Need a new toaster

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Because we don't make eggs in the usual sense, yes, quiche is an egg dish that requires toast.
How do you serve your quiche?Switch to plain text editor.
Bree said:
Because we don't make eggs in the usual sense, yes, quiche is an egg dish that requires toast.
How do you serve your quiche?Switch to plain text editor
why must I switch to plain text editor? Oh no do you have this bug now on here? ha ha
Here is my quiche - I make up my plate into thirds. So a quiche slice - red skinned potatoes with garlic, olive oil and rosemary or parmesan,fresh fruit. Grapee cluster, or canteloupe wedges with a kiwi slice in the middle. That is the plate. Served with Texas Pete and/or Tabasco.
the starter would be a fruit mueslie or something non bread as well. Oj. Coffe/tea
for an what I would call an EGG dish, that would be an omelet or scrambled eggs I would serve the cloth napkin in a bowl covering the biscuits and jam, honey and butter on the table with a side plate for each person.
So for the egg dish they may put it all on the biscuit if they want to or eat the biscuit hot fresh from the over as the side dish along with the egg dish.
I have no idea how that 'plain text' thing got in there.
I like the potatoes idea. I'll tell hubs home fries would be another option given he keeps burning the toast.
I said this morning on the second set of burnt toast, 'Why don't you turn the timer down?' He said, 'I already turned it down once before. We need a new toaster.' No, what we need is a less stubborn cook. If it burns on 3, turn it to 2. If it's not done on 2, adjust to 2.5. He watches, literally, the toast toasting. Me, I don't have time to watch toast when I'm cooking & serving. Toast goes in, I start plating everything else, toast comes out when I'm done, voila. I had to put the plates on the stove under the oven vent this morning to keep the quiche warm while he fiddled with the toast. Turn the dang timer thingy down already! (I have adjusted the toaster oven to the proper hot hold temp when he's not looking. He adjusts it back when I'm not looking and so it goes...)
Bree said:
I like the potatoes idea. I'll tell hubs home fries would be another option given he keeps burning the toast.
I said this morning on the second set of burnt toast, 'Why don't you turn the timer down?' He said, 'I already turned it down once before. We need a new toaster.' No, what we need is a less stubborn cook. If it burns on 3, turn it to 2. If it's not done on 2, adjust to 2.5. He watches, literally, the toast toasting. Me, I don't have time to watch toast when I'm cooking & serving. Toast goes in, I start plating everything else, toast comes out when I'm done, voila. I had to put the plates on the stove under the oven vent this morning to keep the quiche warm while he fiddled with the toast. Turn the dang timer thingy down already! (I have adjusted the toaster oven to the proper hot hold temp when he's not looking. He adjusts it back when I'm not looking and so it goes...)
You know how I say pork is a breakfast meat, well potatoes are a breakfast food as much as toast is a breakfast food. When I have guests here for a week or so I have all sorts of variations (if they like potatoes), including trying the cheesy hashbrowns you make. I forgot what you called them, but they ended up with sour cream and green chilies and a side of salsa. LOL!
Cheesy potato pie? Do you serve that as a side?
Bree said:
Isn't it your recipe? I was sure it was. Yes side dish. I am kinda like this, if one thing is spicy then the other items are not so spicy. So if I make the cheesy potato pie spicy, then the eggs would be simply scrambled. One item would have the kick to it. If I made the eggs spicy then the potatoes would be not so much. The main reason is I am not sure if guests like spicy so I have to be careful. Some like it but have not had spicy for breakfast before.
When I made that I made two dishes of it (divided it up), for xtra to try it ourselves. One was not as firmed up, so I kept that one, and one I was able to cut into squares, the guests got that one.
Yeah, it started out as my recipe and then it just went feral. But that's the main course here, not a side.

Bree said:
why must I switch to plain text editor? Oh no do you have this bug now on here? ha ha
Here is my quiche - I make up my plate into thirds. So a quiche slice - red skinned potatoes with garlic, olive oil and rosemary or parmesan,fresh fruit. Grapee cluster, or canteloupe wedges with a kiwi slice in the middle. That is the plate. Served with Texas Pete and/or Tabasco.
the starter would be a fruit mueslie or something non bread as well. Oj. Coffe/tea
for an what I would call an EGG dish, that would be an omelet or scrambled eggs I would serve the cloth napkin in a bowl covering the biscuits and jam, honey and butter on the table with a side plate for each person.
So for the egg dish they may put it all on the biscuit if they want to or eat the biscuit hot fresh from the over as the side dish along with the egg dish.
Bree said:
You know how I say pork is a breakfast meat, well potatoes are a breakfast food as much as toast is a breakfast food. When I have guests here for a week or so I have all sorts of variations (if they like potatoes), including trying the cheesy hashbrowns you make. I forgot what you called them, but they ended up with sour cream and green chilies and a side of salsa. LOL!
Bree said:
Isn't it your recipe? I was sure it was. Yes side dish. I am kinda like this, if one thing is spicy then the other items are not so spicy. So if I make the cheesy potato pie spicy, then the eggs would be simply scrambled. One item would have the kick to it. If I made the eggs spicy then the potatoes would be not so much. The main reason is I am not sure if guests like spicy so I have to be careful. Some like it but have not had spicy for breakfast before.
When I made that I made two dishes of it (divided it up), for xtra to try it ourselves. One was not as firmed up, so I kept that one, and one I was able to cut into squares, the guests got that one.
Yeah, it started out as my recipe and then it just went feral. But that's the main course here, not a side.
Bree said:
it just went feral.
That's pretty funny - need a trap for it? We also serve it as a main dish, not a side. And we serve toast with any savory dish - my DH has the same opinion yours does. Eggs of any kind, even in a quiche with crust or with potatoes in them, need toast.

Bree said:
Bree said:
Bree said:
Bree said:
it just went feral.
That's pretty funny - need a trap for it? We also serve it as a main dish, not a side. And we serve toast with any savory dish - my DH has the same opinion yours does. Eggs of any kind, even in a quiche with crust or with potatoes in them, need toast.
muirford said:
Bree said:
it just went feral.
You could serve it with tortillas! That would be yummo.

I also have a Krupps expresso and coffee maker--I love them--I don't know why the toaster they make is a dud. I think I will pawn it off on one of my daughters--I paid a lot for it and it just kills me that its so terrible.

I also have a Krupps expresso and coffee maker--I love them--I don't know why the toaster they make is a dud. I think I will pawn it off on one of my daughters--I paid a lot for it and it just kills me that its so terrible..
riverbendnewbie said:
I don't know why the toaster they make is a dud. I think I will pawn it off on one of my daughters--I paid a lot for it and it just kills me that its so terrible.
Ha, ha, that's what I did!

I've never made toast for my guests.
I do think that if you have sunny side up eggs, or even moist scrambled, you need toast.
The closest I come is when I serve stuffed croissants, which are stuffed with scrambled eggs... no toast because of the croissants. My "Egg Blossoms" are eggy, in a phyllo crust, and I serve them with mini-loaves of fresh bread. Because eggs need bread, but I'm not making toast. Cheesy Potato Pie, here, usually goes with biscuits and gravy. (I generally only make those when I have a crowd staying more than two days, which isn't all that often.)
=)
Kk.

I have a toaster oven. Good for toasting my bagels just the way I like them, too.
I'm like JBJ...so far, very few occasions to serve toast & usually only on request. Here's the thing...I have to have toast myself that is HOT right out of the toaster so that the butter will melt very easily and smoothly, so I assume my guests want it that way too ;-) Logistically I can't get it to them that easily that way. I refuse to put a toaster in the dining room. No room for it & it just wouldn't look right in there anyway.
Everyone seems happy with all the other baked goods and biscuits so far
teeth_smile.gif

Bree said:
I should have read this whole thing...
Hard to get toast right to satisfy people, I think. Lightly toasted, really toasted, almost burnt. HA! Then, there's the whole buttered, not buttered. It goes on & on. Toast can be tricky. Who would have thunk??
I also serve potatoes on the side with baked egg dishes. Or sometimes the frittata has the shredded potatoes on the bottom.
Always a baked good (biscuits are popular of course, muffins, bread, cinnamon rolls, scones, etc.) unless I make a fruit crisp...then there is extra fruit plated with the main course.

I do think that if you have sunny side up eggs, or even moist scrambled, you need toast.
The closest I come is when I serve stuffed croissants, which are stuffed with scrambled eggs... no toast because of the croissants. My "Egg Blossoms" are eggy, in a phyllo crust, and I serve them with mini-loaves of fresh bread. Because eggs need bread, but I'm not making toast. Cheesy Potato Pie, here, usually goes with biscuits and gravy. (I generally only make those when I have a crowd staying more than two days, which isn't all that often.)
=)
Kk..
Stuffed croissants? mmm.. do you toast the croissants before adding the scrambled eggs? could you share the recipe with us (me) ?

I have a toaster oven. Good for toasting my bagels just the way I like them, too.
I'm like JBJ...so far, very few occasions to serve toast & usually only on request. Here's the thing...I have to have toast myself that is HOT right out of the toaster so that the butter will melt very easily and smoothly, so I assume my guests want it that way too ;-) Logistically I can't get it to them that easily that way. I refuse to put a toaster in the dining room. No room for it & it just wouldn't look right in there anyway.
Everyone seems happy with all the other baked goods and biscuits so far
teeth_smile.gif
Samster said:
I have to have toast myself that is HOT right out of the toaster so that the butter will melt very easily and smoothly, so I assume my guests want it that way too ;-)
That's how I feel about toast, too!
=)
Kk.

=)
Kk..
Stuffed croissants? mmm.. do you toast the croissants before adding the scrambled eggs? could you share the recipe with us (me) ?
alias annie said:
Pop croissants in oven for a few minutes to warm them up (doesn't take very long). Start with canadian bacon or ham, top with scrambled eggs. Close. Original recipe said to pour hollandaise over the top, but I serve it in a gravy boat on the side.
Fast! Easy! Delicious! Elegant!
It's a fabulous breakfast. I start with a fruit starter, then the croissants with potato side.
=)
Kk.

Bree said:
Hard to get toast right to satisfy people, I think. Lightly toasted, really toasted, almost burnt. HA! Then, there's the whole buttered, not buttered. It goes on & on. Toast can be tricky. Who would have thunk??
I also serve potatoes on the side with baked egg dishes. Or sometimes the frittata has the shredded potatoes on the bottom.
Always a baked good (biscuits are popular of course, muffins, bread, cinnamon rolls, scones, etc.) unless I make a fruit crisp...then there is extra fruit plated with the main course.
Samster said:
Toast is toast around here. Unless it is crisped when it comes out, it gets served. It's the last thing on the plate and then I'm running. I agree about the hot enough for butter to melt part, absolutely!
Sorry, had to answer the phone so I didn't finish...we feel the same about making eggs to order as you do about toast. Eggs are too hard to get right. Over easy, no broken yolks, too crispy on the edges, not crispy enough. Nope, too much hassle. I wonder when guests don't eat their toast if it was not done 'right'. Me, I like toast so that it's really just dry bread with a little tan. So, anything approaching 'toast' is too done for me. So, I serve it and hope for the best!
I think we may start serving potatoes. Hubs is comfortable trying stuff now.

Bree said:
Samster said:
Toast is toast around here. Unless it is crisped when it comes out, it gets served. It's the last thing on the plate and then I'm running. I agree about the hot enough for butter to melt part, absolutely!
Sorry, had to answer the phone so I didn't finish...we feel the same about making eggs to order as you do about toast. Eggs are too hard to get right. Over easy, no broken yolks, too crispy on the edges, not crispy enough. Nope, too much hassle. I wonder when guests don't eat their toast if it was not done 'right'. Me, I like toast so that it's really just dry bread with a little tan. So, anything approaching 'toast' is too done for me. So, I serve it and hope for the best!
Don't you have a toaster on the counter sitting out?? I would just say to guests...if you want toast...please help yourself so you can make it the way you like. That way it will be hot as well.
We never served toast. It was always biscuits or croissants.

Bree said:
Samster said:
Don't you have a toaster on the counter sitting out?? I would just say to guests...if you want toast...please help yourself so you can make it the way you like. That way it will be hot as well.
catlady said:
Oh no. We make toast in the kitchen. I don't want guest lining up to make toast.

Bree said:
Samster said:
You had me laughing at your toast comment about warm bread.
I found out when I was first married that my husband and I had different ideas of toast.
I grew up in a house with no electricity and toast was made in the broiler of a gas oven or over the fire of a wood, cob or coal fire. Needless to say, many times it was too dark. Mom would just scrape it with a knife and serve it.
I got the toast a little dark the first time I made it for my husband and he couldn't believe it when I served him scraped toast. I found out he liked his toast like you do. Of course he was raised in the city with all the amenities and I hadn't been and was just making my way in the kitchen.
I really have come a long way. By the way, I don't serve toast either unless requested. Serve homemade bread fresh out of the oven or something else if requested, like bagels or english muffins.

Bree said:
Samster said:
Don't do eggs to order here either, except for an early brekkie for a biz guest perhaps. Too much work!!

i never serve toast. ever.
I make toast for us. But if there is a toast type meal, I make biscuits..
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
I make toast for us. But if there is a toast type meal, I make biscuits.
How do you do this? If the oven is in use for quiche, or whatever, how do you bake the biscuits, too? We just can't make this work here.
Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
I make toast for us. But if there is a toast type meal, I make biscuits.
How do you do this? If the oven is in use for quiche, or whatever, how do you bake the biscuits, too? We just can't make this work here.
double wall ovens
also I never do them with quiche. I consider, in my own bizarre estimation, quiche as a bready food already - i don't make the crustless kind, so I never serve biskits with that.
So what does your quiche breakfast consist of? I ask because hubs will NOT serve eggs without toast. We had an argument about it for Pete's sake. 'Eggs have to have toast. Period.'
Who knew? Breakfast for me was always whatever was put in front of me as a kid, or what I had time to make for myself when I got older. Nothing had a 'set' partner.
No toast here either, unless upon request, then they get what they get depending on who makes it, me= burnt, DH=warm but not toasted!
I wouldn't serve quiche with toast either, probably potatoes, meat, fruit and some other bread food, savory herb bread or something.
To me toast is like cereal, you can have that any time...I noticed that even with our huge breakfasts it's the Europeans who still ask for a side of toast...
I serve a potato side with almost every brekkie.
Any meal with any breadlike breakfast dish- cobbler, pancake, waffle, muffin, cornbread, tortilla, etc. I would include the quiche because of the crust, will not be served with toast around here, just our preference. I would be throwing away loaves of bread if I did. I served a "quiche" that came out more like a savory bread once, it didn't have a crust but I thought it was going to be more eggy & cheesy and I served it with bread, it was just too much...

Bree said:
Samster said:
Don't do eggs to order here either, except for an early brekkie for a biz guest perhaps. Too much work!!
Only do eggs to order if there is a legit dietary need, like they need egg beaters...

Bree said:
Samster said:
You had me laughing at your toast comment about warm bread.
I found out when I was first married that my husband and I had different ideas of toast.
I grew up in a house with no electricity and toast was made in the broiler of a gas oven or over the fire of a wood, cob or coal fire. Needless to say, many times it was too dark. Mom would just scrape it with a knife and serve it.
I got the toast a little dark the first time I made it for my husband and he couldn't believe it when I served him scraped toast. I found out he liked his toast like you do. Of course he was raised in the city with all the amenities and I hadn't been and was just making my way in the kitchen.
I really have come a long way. By the way, I don't serve toast either unless requested. Serve homemade bread fresh out of the oven or something else if requested, like bagels or english muffins.
I ate scraped toast plenty of times as a kid...must be why I'm so pertikerler about it now! All of our appliances were in varying stages of workability. We had a great toaster that the depress handle didn't stay depressed on any longer. Popsicle stick on top of the handle held the toast down. But you had to pull the stick out in time. 2 TV's (don't get excited)...one had the picture (5-6" square screen) and the other (21" screen) had the sound.
We went to the Adirondacks on vacation the first time I saw an electric toaster that had the doors on it. You laid the toast in and closed the door and then hoped you opened the door before it burned. You've got me beat on the cooking over a fire, tho.

Back