Need a new toaster

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
What kind of toaster do you use and are you happy with it? We need, like everyone else, I'm sure, at least 4 slots.

We just got a new one at Sam's that's four slots - the nice thing is that each set of two slots work independently. It's a Cuisinart - cost maybe $30.

We just got a new one at Sam's that's four slots - the nice thing is that each set of two slots work independently. It's a Cuisinart - cost maybe $30..
muirford said:
We just got a new one at Sam's that's four slots - the nice thing is that each set of two slots work independently. It's a Cuisinart - cost maybe $30.
Oh, yes, the slot sets have to work separately!

We have a 4 slot(individual) Krups and although its suppoesed to be very good I find my old Black and Decker better.Go figure!

We use a Oster toaster oven - holds 4 slices of bread and is great for warming, broiling, baking, etc.

We have a 4 slot(individual) Krups and although its suppoesed to be very good I find my old Black and Decker better.Go figure!.
riverbendnewbie said:
We have a 4 slot(individual) Krups and although its suppoesed to be very good I find my old Black and Decker better.Go figure!
I gave away an almost brand new Krups. Did not like it at all.

We have a 4 slot(individual) Krups and although its suppoesed to be very good I find my old Black and Decker better.Go figure!.
riverbendnewbie said:
I had searched around for a six-slot toaster when we first bought the inn - full house for us is 12 - but have only ever seen them on UK websites.

riverbendnewbie said:
I had searched around for a six-slot toaster when we first bought the inn - full house for us is 12 - but have only ever seen them on UK websites.
muirford said:
I can only carry 2 plates at a time, so a 4-slicer works fine for me.
wink_smile.gif
(Full house for me is 19. It's all the extra beds...)

i never serve toast. ever.
I make toast for us. But if there is a toast type meal, I make biscuits.

I make toast for us. But if there is a toast type meal, I make biscuits..
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
How do you do this? If the oven is in use for quiche, or whatever, how do you bake the biscuits, too? We just can't make this work here.

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
How do you do this? If the oven is in use for quiche, or whatever, how do you bake the biscuits, too? We just can't make this work here.
Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
double wall ovens
also I never do them with quiche. I consider, in my own bizarre estimation, quiche as a bready food already - i don't make the crustless kind, so I never serve biskits with that.

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
double wall ovens
also I never do them with quiche. I consider, in my own bizarre estimation, quiche as a bready food already - i don't make the crustless kind, so I never serve biskits with that.
So what does your quiche breakfast consist of? I ask because hubs will NOT serve eggs without toast. We had an argument about it for Pete's sake. 'Eggs have to have toast. Period.'
Who knew? Breakfast for me was always whatever was put in front of me as a kid, or what I had time to make for myself when I got older. Nothing had a 'set' partner.

Because we don't make eggs in the usual sense, yes, quiche is an egg dish that requires toast.
How do you serve your quiche?Switch to plain text editor

Because we don't make eggs in the usual sense, yes, quiche is an egg dish that requires toast.
How do you serve your quiche?Switch to plain text editor.
Bree said:
why must I switch to plain text editor? Oh no do you have this bug now on here? ha ha
Here is my quiche - I make up my plate into thirds. So a quiche slice - red skinned potatoes with garlic, olive oil and rosemary or parmesan,fresh fruit. Grapee cluster, or canteloupe wedges with a kiwi slice in the middle. That is the plate. Served with Texas Pete and/or Tabasco.
the starter would be a fruit mueslie or something non bread as well. Oj. Coffe/tea
for an what I would call an EGG dish, that would be an omelet or scrambled eggs I would serve the cloth napkin in a bowl covering the biscuits and jam, honey and butter on the table with a side plate for each person.
So for the egg dish they may put it all on the biscuit if they want to or eat the biscuit hot fresh from the over as the side dish along with the egg dish.

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Bree said:
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
double wall ovens
So what does your quiche breakfast consist of? I ask because hubs will NOT serve eggs without toast. We had an argument about it for Pete's sake. 'Eggs have to have toast. Period.'
Who knew? Breakfast for me was always whatever was put in front of me as a kid, or what I had time to make for myself when I got older. Nothing had a 'set' partner.
Bree said:
So are you saying the "quiche" breakfast is eggs? I guess I never think of it as eggs. If that is what you mean.
I have never had toast with quiche, in fact if you eat out and order it usually it comes with a little salad on the plate and some fresh fruit.
In fact I will be doing this tomorrow. I have a couple from the UK - who typically detest sweet american breakfasts - but load their coffee with sweetener and love marmalade.
regular_smile.gif
So they will have this "standard drill" beakfast with fresh from the oven biscuits, altho they will call likely them scones. I do the biscuits and sausage gravy for overseas guests when I can as well. They want to enjoy the culture of a region, which includes the food, imo.

Bree said:
why must I switch to plain text editor? Oh no do you have this bug now on here? ha ha
Here is my quiche - I make up my plate into thirds. So a quiche slice - red skinned potatoes with garlic, olive oil and rosemary or parmesan,fresh fruit. Grapee cluster, or canteloupe wedges with a kiwi slice in the middle. That is the plate. Served with Texas Pete and/or Tabasco.
the starter would be a fruit mueslie or something non bread as well. Oj. Coffe/tea
for an what I would call an EGG dish, that would be an omelet or scrambled eggs I would serve the cloth napkin in a bowl covering the biscuits and jam, honey and butter on the table with a side plate for each person.
So for the egg dish they may put it all on the biscuit if they want to or eat the biscuit hot fresh from the over as the side dish along with the egg dish.
I have no idea how that 'plain text' thing got in there.
I like the potatoes idea. I'll tell hubs home fries would be another option given he keeps burning the toast.
I said this morning on the second set of burnt toast, 'Why don't you turn the timer down?' He said, 'I already turned it down once before. We need a new toaster.' No, what we need is a less stubborn cook. If it burns on 3, turn it to 2. If it's not done on 2, adjust to 2.5. He watches, literally, the toast toasting. Me, I don't have time to watch toast when I'm cooking & serving. Toast goes in, I start plating everything else, toast comes out when I'm done, voila. I had to put the plates on the stove under the oven vent this morning to keep the quiche warm while he fiddled with the toast. Turn the dang timer thingy down already! (I have adjusted the toaster oven to the proper hot hold temp when he's not looking. He adjusts it back when I'm not looking and so it goes...)

Bree said:
I like the potatoes idea. I'll tell hubs home fries would be another option given he keeps burning the toast.
I said this morning on the second set of burnt toast, 'Why don't you turn the timer down?' He said, 'I already turned it down once before. We need a new toaster.' No, what we need is a less stubborn cook. If it burns on 3, turn it to 2. If it's not done on 2, adjust to 2.5. He watches, literally, the toast toasting. Me, I don't have time to watch toast when I'm cooking & serving. Toast goes in, I start plating everything else, toast comes out when I'm done, voila. I had to put the plates on the stove under the oven vent this morning to keep the quiche warm while he fiddled with the toast. Turn the dang timer thingy down already! (I have adjusted the toaster oven to the proper hot hold temp when he's not looking. He adjusts it back when I'm not looking and so it goes...)
Bree said:
You know how I say pork is a breakfast meat, well potatoes are a breakfast food as much as toast is a breakfast food. When I have guests here for a week or so I have all sorts of variations (if they like potatoes), including trying the cheesy hashbrowns you make. I forgot what you called them, but they ended up with sour cream and green chilies and a side of salsa. LOL!

Bree said:
Bree said:
You know how I say pork is a breakfast meat, well potatoes are a breakfast food as much as toast is a breakfast food. When I have guests here for a week or so I have all sorts of variations (if they like potatoes), including trying the cheesy hashbrowns you make. I forgot what you called them, but they ended up with sour cream and green chilies and a side of salsa. LOL!
Cheesy potato pie? Do you serve that as a side?

Bree said:
Bree said:
Bree said:
Isn't it your recipe? I was sure it was. Yes side dish. I am kinda like this, if one thing is spicy then the other items are not so spicy. So if I make the cheesy potato pie spicy, then the eggs would be simply scrambled. One item would have the kick to it. If I made the eggs spicy then the potatoes would be not so much. The main reason is I am not sure if guests like spicy so I have to be careful. Some like it but have not had spicy for breakfast before.
When I made that I made two dishes of it (divided it up), for xtra to try it ourselves. One was not as firmed up, so I kept that one, and one I was able to cut into squares, the guests got that one.

Bree said:
i have two DeLonghi toasters, each toasts 4 slices (but 2 at a time, not 1) they are awesome, but they take a while to toast. and i had to have a separate circuit for them because all 8 slots going at once blows the fuse. they have wide slots, wide enough for bagels and english muffins. they have little crumb trays underneath to slide out and get the crumbs. they are three years old so they are probably obsolete by now!!
even though i make crust with quiche and have muffins on the side; and serve biscuits, muffins, and or croissants with eggs, folks often want more toast. i can't be toasting for folks, i have two wooden toaster tongs. first time i served quiche and was surprised they wanted more 'bread' my son said, 'of course!' and promptly toasted himself a bagel!

Back