Need a new vocab word

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JunieBJones (JBJ)

Reaction score
I have guests here who are strangely delightful. Yes, that is the combination to describe them.
Whatever they say is not what I am expecting to hear. Without actually giving you all the details, suffice it to say they are an older eccentric $ couple. Maybe IvyLee's Great Gatsby might fit the bill, GATSBY's?

Gatsby is both strange and delightful, but Gatsby has a bit of an air of tragedy. How about 'Bennets' as in Elizabeth Bennet from 'Pride and Prejudice'. She is strange (won't marry for money in 18 C. England) and delightful (love to dance, stomp around in the mud and speak her mind to haughty elders like Lady catherine DeBourgh).
'Bowles' might also be great. There is no stranger more delightful couple than Jane and Paul Bowles.

These guests are here all week. They are still strangely delightful.
So far they, neither of them, will eat any fruit. They have asked me to remove it from their plates each and every morning. The first morning I have some kiwi on the plate to which he said he would not eat. I asked if he had tried it, NO and I don't want to.
The sweetest honeydew I have had all season, the sweetest canteloupe - nope, told me to go ahead and put it in the fridge for later, they won't touch any melon.
I went out specifically and got fresh vine ripened tomatoes to go with their ham and cheese omeletts and rosemary potatoes today! I sliced these big ol' juicy tomatoes and laid them on the plates. The color was fantastic. They said Dh could put them on sandwiches later, they don't want to waste them by not eating them.
I only have a couple more tricks up my sleeve. Each morning it is the same thing, I bring the plates in, I take them back to the kitchen and remove fruit. Somehow due to their strange delightfulness, it doesn't bother me. Tomorrow they dine with a couple from the UK. We shall see what happens...I am going to sneak red seedless GRAPES onto their plates tomorrow.
wink_smile.gif

So far they, neither of them, will eat any fruit. They have asked me to remove it from their plates each and every morning. The first morning I have some kiwi on the plate to which he said he would not eat. I asked if he had tried it, NO and I don't want to.
The sweetest honeydew I have had all season, the sweetest canteloupe - nope, told me to go ahead and put it in the fridge for later, they won't touch any melon.
I went out specifically and got fresh vine ripened tomatoes to go with their ham and cheese omeletts and rosemary potatoes today! I sliced these big ol' juicy tomatoes and laid them on the plates. The color was fantastic. They said Dh could put them on sandwiches later, they don't want to waste them by not eating them.
I only have a couple more tricks up my sleeve. Each morning it is the same thing, I bring the plates in, I take them back to the kitchen and remove fruit. Somehow due to their strange delightfulness, it doesn't bother me. Tomorrow they dine with a couple from the UK. We shall see what happens...I am going to sneak red seedless GRAPES onto their plates tomorrow.
wink_smile.gif
Give up. They don't eat fruit. You really want to tear your hair out? Serve them no fruit tomorrow and wait for them to ask you for whatever it is you're serving. I had a couple here for 4 days. He never touched the fruit, never said he didn't want it, couldn't eat it, he just didn't.

wink_smile.gif
Oh, no...not the grapes!!! hahahaha! (For others who don't know, I'm not a fan of grapes a breakfast & I can't tell you why that is)
Are they proteintarians? Sometimes older folks think that the fruit will be an issue because of too much fiber.

wink_smile.gif
Oh, no...not the grapes!!! hahahaha! (For others who don't know, I'm not a fan of grapes a breakfast & I can't tell you why that is)
Are they proteintarians? Sometimes older folks think that the fruit will be an issue because of too much fiber.
Samster said:
Well that was why I thought, they won't eat anything else, so I better try THE GRAPES. At $2.59 a lb right now I will by fine if we do the 'we won't eat these and we don't want to waste them' and I carry the plates into the kitchen and take the grapes off, spread the food around and bring them back - routine. ha ha
What it is, is this - they are simply meat and potatoes type breakfast eaters, altho she loved French Toast and said that was her all time favorite meal. They also said they would only be eating one piece of sausage, and ate it all.
I am going to make the orange marmalade cake that JUMPED off that website BREE posted, and see how that goes. I might sneak the orange on them... ha ha

wink_smile.gif
Samster said:
Well that was why I thought, they won't eat anything else, so I better try THE GRAPES. At $2.59 a lb right now I will by fine if we do the 'we won't eat these and we don't want to waste them' and I carry the plates into the kitchen and take the grapes off, spread the food around and bring them back - routine. ha ha
What it is, is this - they are simply meat and potatoes type breakfast eaters, altho she loved French Toast and said that was her all time favorite meal. They also said they would only be eating one piece of sausage, and ate it all.
I am going to make the orange marmalade cake that JUMPED off that website BREE posted, and see how that goes. I might sneak the orange on them... ha ha
You'll be proud of me...I bought red seedless grapes at the commissary today :) They were cheap (can't remember the price)! I definitely want to know about that cake it looked yummy in that photo.
Like I've said before, I have cut down on the quantity of fruit (not variety) as so much of it was coming back and that killed me.

wink_smile.gif
Samster said:
You'll be proud of me...I bought red seedless grapes at the commissary today :) They were cheap (can't remember the price)! I definitely want to know about that cake it looked yummy in that photo.
Like I've said before, I have cut down on the quantity of fruit (not variety) as so much of it was coming back and that killed me.
You should check out this recipe. I thought of your grape-phobia when I saw it. Might make a nice breakfast sweet bread since grapes are pretty available year-round.

So? What happened at brekkie?.
Bree said:
So? What happened at brekkie?
IF MY CAMERA were not in here on my desk I would have taken pics of it for you. Ate every drop...and then there lay the little cluster or red seedless grapes.
He said to me as I took his plate, "I decided to save calories and not eat the grapes and had another piece of the coffee cake instead."
Both of them, the same. DOH!

Bree said:
IF MY CAMERA were not in here on my desk I would have taken pics of it for you. Ate every drop...and then there lay the little cluster or red seedless grapes.
He said to me as I took his plate, "I decided to save calories and not eat the grapes and had another piece of the coffee cake instead."
I'm tellin' ya...leave off the fruit tomorrow and I bet they ask for it.

Bree said:
Bree said:
I'm all out of fruit. I mean, new fruit to try. Funny thing is I haven't yet done the yoghurt and fruit and muesli. ha ha I don't dare!

Bree said:
Bree said:
I'm all out of fruit. I mean, new fruit to try. Funny thing is I haven't yet done the yoghurt and fruit and muesli. ha ha I don't dare!
Maybe they are "fruit-shy" because they are traveling. Ahem! as in do not know where we will be if the spirit moves........
A certain someone I am related to will not travel if on an antibiotic because his speed of forward motion is not great enough to permit.

wink_smile.gif
Samster said:
You should check out this recipe. I thought of your grape-phobia when I saw it. Might make a nice breakfast sweet bread since grapes are pretty available year-round.
Oh, so now it's a phobia, huh?
omg_smile.gif
haha! Thanks, I'll check it out. I actually have green & red seedless grapes in the fridge. Now, I just need people to eat them!!

BONZA MATE! I found the achilles heel!
I was making up a batch of biscuits and sausage gravy. What to go with it? I have tried everything. Then I remembered the delicious crisp I had at Grey Swan Inn!! We have a big bowl of apples in the kitchen picked out back.
I quickly peel, core and slice the apples. Put them in the microwave for 3 minutes. Then drop in some vanilla, butter, cinnamon and brown sugar and stir. I put some muesli in a small plated bowl, then heap the apples, a tad bit more muesli, a dollop of cream. Served it warm as the starter.
Ready for this - she ate BOTH. She is very petite and super sweet. She ate both his and hers, and she loved it! She said, Now THIS oughta be put in a cookbook, I hope you took a photo of this one it is fantastic!
EUREKA.
I will be making this as the "standard drill" for guests now since the apples are free, just have to pick em. Forget blueberries...yeah they are quick and easy, but "When God gives you apples - make apple crisps!"
He devoured the biscuits and gravy.

I was making up a batch of biscuits and sausage gravy. What to go with it? I have tried everything. Then I remembered the delicious crisp I had at Grey Swan Inn!! We have a big bowl of apples in the kitchen picked out back.
I quickly peel, core and slice the apples. Put them in the microwave for 3 minutes. Then drop in some vanilla, butter, cinnamon and brown sugar and stir. I put some muesli in a small plated bowl, then heap the apples, a tad bit more muesli, a dollop of cream. Served it warm as the starter.
Ready for this - she ate BOTH. She is very petite and super sweet. She ate both his and hers, and she loved it! She said, Now THIS oughta be put in a cookbook, I hope you took a photo of this one it is fantastic!
EUREKA.
I will be making this as the "standard drill" for guests now since the apples are free, just have to pick em. Forget blueberries...yeah they are quick and easy, but "When God gives you apples - make apple crisps!"
He devoured the biscuits and gravy..
I tell ya, the fruit crisps are always a hit here. Always! I'm like you...bring on the fresh fruit & present it well. Nope, people devour those crisps, praise them like you're Emeril
chef.gif
, and they are super easy!
regular_smile.gif

EUREKA.
I tell ya, the fruit crisps are always a hit here. Always! I'm like you...bring on the fresh fruit & present it well. Nope, people devour those crisps, praise them like you're Emeril
chef.gif
, and they are super easy!
regular_smile.gif

Absolutely on the fruit crisps or cobblers. SO many guests are whisked right back to childhood.

EUREKA.
what a quick way to fix apples.. I'll have to remember that when we're in a fix, and even when we have a lot of time. The miracles of microwave!

EUREKA.
what a quick way to fix apples.. I'll have to remember that when we're in a fix, and even when we have a lot of time. The miracles of microwave!
greyswan said:
Yes and thanks to you for being in my recent memory bank. I cut the apple larger than thin slices, and I tried one to make sure I wasn't poisoning them. It was good. Needed more sweetness (tart apples) and so I added a dash more brown sugar and stirred it.

Back