"Need a pet friendly place"

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
We are pet friendly, I'll start right there. We do allow pets. This has nothing to do with allowing or not allowing pets. OK, got that out, now here's my story...
Got a call for one night for the pet friendly room. Guest says, 'Now you and (another inn) are in this together, right?' (No, that is not right, we are two entirely different places.) I explain briefly. Gues then goes on to tell me they only need one night, bringing dog, very nice dog, we'll not even know he's there, they'll keep him in the crate the whole time they're out.
Oops, stop right there, pets are not allowed in the room alone, crate or not.
Now it gets funny...guest then wants me to take the dog out for walks, a couple of times while they're gone. And to keep him in the kitchen with me. All day, while they are out enjoying themselves. I explain I cannot do that as I have a dog as well who would not understand me taking another dog into the house. No, not in my house, I'm just to keep him in the kitchen, I won't even know he's there.
I am not making myself clear, it's obvious. He's ready to book and I'm still trying to explain the dog can't stay with me or alone in the room. He asks the price. I tell him. Suddenly, now I am perfectly clear and he hangs up. I was ready to give him the name of another place where they have a kid who loves looking after the guest's pets, but too late, he's gone.

How much does one get paid to dog watch/walk guests pets?
cry_smile.gif

Oh, for goodness' sake! That's like the call that I got yesterday. "We are two non-smokers who are no trouble... "
Ended with them getting frustrated when I wouldn't give them a room for $100just because it's Tuesday and we shouldn't be full and need the room.

Oh, for goodness' sake! That's like the call that I got yesterday. "We are two non-smokers who are no trouble... "
Ended with them getting frustrated when I wouldn't give them a room for $100just because it's Tuesday and we shouldn't be full and need the room..
They must have read 10 Things Your Bed and Breakfast Won't Tell You.

Ended with them getting frustrated when I wouldn't give them a room for $100just because it's Tuesday and we shouldn't be full and need the room..
Nope, just cheapskates.
wink_smile.gif

Well if they want someone else to watch the dog the whole time why the heck don't they just get a house sitter and leave the dog at home where he's comfortable???? Why bring him????
RIki

Well if they want someone else to watch the dog the whole time why the heck don't they just get a house sitter and leave the dog at home where he's comfortable???? Why bring him????
RIki.
Like she said, cheapskates. Don't want to pay someone to watch it; they just want to make it someone else's problem. They would probably do the same thing with a kid.
confused_smile.gif

SweetiePie said:
Funny how that article explained a lot of recent posts here and phone calls as well!

I just don't understand why guests don't put their pet in a kennel before they go on vacation or away. It would be a much more enjoyable get away if you ask me.....for them and for the people they stay with and maybe less expensive too.

I hate it when they call you, discuss all the different rooms, you've taken down all their information including credit card, and then the last thing out of their mouth is "oh, we have a dog, that's ok isn't it?"
Oh, and you can substitute infant/child instead of the dog. Both of those are not ok! I wish these people would learn to ask as soon as they call you.

I just don't understand why guests don't put their pet in a kennel before they go on vacation or away. It would be a much more enjoyable get away if you ask me.....for them and for the people they stay with and maybe less expensive too..
knowlesl said:
I just don't understand why guests don't put their pet in a kennel before they go on vacation or away. It would be a much more enjoyable get away if you ask me.....for them and for the people they stay with and maybe less expensive too.
Not everyone has a trustworthy kennel. Some people oppose their pet being confined the entire time they are gone (as some kennels do). A lot of people are travelling from point a to b and have their dog with them (example those who travel from NY to FL to snowbird) and stop here on the way down and get angry when we tell them Foo Foo cannot sleep here too.

I hate it when they call you, discuss all the different rooms, you've taken down all their information including credit card, and then the last thing out of their mouth is "oh, we have a dog, that's ok isn't it?"
Oh, and you can substitute infant/child instead of the dog. Both of those are not ok! I wish these people would learn to ask as soon as they call you..
You could always ask them that question early in the conversation and save yourself the trouble.

Oh, and you can substitute infant/child instead of the dog. Both of those are not ok! I wish these people would learn to ask as soon as they call you..
NW BB said:
Oh, and you can substitute infant/child instead of the dog. Both of those are not ok! I wish these people would learn to ask as soon as they call you.
Totally agree. ALWAYS lead off with the one or two things that are the most difficult to book...pets and stairs. We also take kids because we're not a romantic getaway place, but I need to know that right off so I don't book you into a room with one bed, or book you at all if you have 3 kids you want to put in one room with you.
The stairs thing gets people too. 'Oh, you don't have an elevator?' Hello. This is a house, just like yours.

You could always ask them that question early in the conversation and save yourself the trouble.
SweetiePie said:
That's a tough one. You're talking rooms and if I suddenly throw in, 'Are there any children or pets in your party?' it can lead to awkwardness. Even if I ask, 'How many in your party?' to get an idea if this is a couple of friends needing 2 rooms or whatever, still a lot of guests do NOT think a child is a 'member of the party'. Kids are afterthoughts. Much the way pets are.
I think we've had pets snuck in here. My housekeeper found little dog footprints all over the bathroom floor after the guests had checked out. And I absolutely will not take 'pocket pets,' those little handbag dogs. Those owners think nothing of telling me the dog uses a 'piddle pad' so does not need to go out during the day. Oh no, your dog is not piddling on MY carpets.

Sweetiepie wrote: "You could always ask them that question early in the conversation and save yourself the trouble."
I agree with Bree - that would be too awkward for me to ask this, but I do ask how many in their party! Yes, you would think that Kids and Pets would be the first thing out of their mouths when calling but they are an afterthought for several possible reasons - 1) they are thinking that the B&B is just like a hotel kids X & under are free 2) they are thinking 'oh we will just slip them (kids or pets) in and no one will know'

Sweetiepie wrote: "You could always ask them that question early in the conversation and save yourself the trouble."
I agree with Bree - that would be too awkward for me to ask this, but I do ask how many in their party! Yes, you would think that Kids and Pets would be the first thing out of their mouths when calling but they are an afterthought for several possible reasons - 1) they are thinking that the B&B is just like a hotel kids X & under are free 2) they are thinking 'oh we will just slip them (kids or pets) in and no one will know'.
I've only had the 'extra guests' thing twice. And both times the original room guests were young, 20-somethings and the extra guests were people they picked up at whatever event (wedding, concert) they were in town for.
I've had grown women show up at the door with more guests than they booked and say they didn't think it was a big deal, someone would sleep on the floor. Sorry, you can sleep on the floor because you want to but not because you didn't book enough beds for everyone.

People's thought processes have changed these days. DH wants to get a T-shirt that says "Yes, there ARE other people in the world besides YOU!"
Everywhere you go these days, people are only focused on what they are doing...no one else is even considered...Traveling down a grocery store isle this AM, shoping cart blocking complete isle and shopper looking for something on the other side. I stop thinking - surely she will see me and either move or move her cart so I can pass,,NO finally I go to move her cart a little and she turns and says that's mine (ugly tone & facial expression) well DUH! MOVE IT!
Same goes for the extra people and slipped in pet...they only care about themselves, their needs come before your price and your policies...They do not care if it costs you extra in linens, water, breakfast and cleaning. They do not care if your carpet is soiled from their little pet or that you have to clean all the dander so others do not suffer from allergy problems....They are the only people in the world!!!
Rant over - thanks!

People's thought processes have changed these days. DH wants to get a T-shirt that says "Yes, there ARE other people in the world besides YOU!"
Everywhere you go these days, people are only focused on what they are doing...no one else is even considered...Traveling down a grocery store isle this AM, shoping cart blocking complete isle and shopper looking for something on the other side. I stop thinking - surely she will see me and either move or move her cart so I can pass,,NO finally I go to move her cart a little and she turns and says that's mine (ugly tone & facial expression) well DUH! MOVE IT!
Same goes for the extra people and slipped in pet...they only care about themselves, their needs come before your price and your policies...They do not care if it costs you extra in linens, water, breakfast and cleaning. They do not care if your carpet is soiled from their little pet or that you have to clean all the dander so others do not suffer from allergy problems....They are the only people in the world!!!
Rant over - thanks!.
I used to be one of those people. Still am sometimes. It's why hubs married me...he's not like me at all. I think I scared him into it!
embaressed_smile.gif

I just don't understand why guests don't put their pet in a kennel before they go on vacation or away. It would be a much more enjoyable get away if you ask me.....for them and for the people they stay with and maybe less expensive too..
I just don't understand why guests don't put their pet in a kennel before they go on vacation or away.
Because they are not "pets" they are their "children". You would not put your baby in a kennel would you? (Ummm, wish I had thought of that years ago...) They treat the pets better than most kids get treated - better food, health and dental care, attention...... And they can usually afford to do it probably BECAUSE they do not have kids. The pets receive but do not spend or backtalk.

I agree that pets are like children to their owners... but not all have no children. My sister has three (children) and then adopted a dog... she said it was like she went out one day and came back with a fourth child. They take him with them when they can, and found a nice homelike environment at the groomer for when they can't.
I ask, "who are you bringing with you?" and I write down their names... especially with the university up the street we often have discussions about sleeping arrangements, extra beds, who's sleeping on campus, and who will come for breakfast. All fine as long as I know in advance!
=)
Kk.

Back