Need a Vacuum Cleaner

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

greyswan

Reaction score
Well, our cannister vacuum cleaner finally bit the dust and we are considering getting a backpack styler vacuum - anyone here use one and how do you like it? We will need to get a vacuum that is lightweight as it will be carried up and down the stairs (no room to store on the guest room level) that is why we tho't a backpack style would work. We also want to get a bagless style - one less thing we have to buy: vacuum cleaner bags. Thanks in advance for you advice!!

We were left 2 of those back pack vacuums and I hated them. They are not comfortable to lug around so if you decide to go with one, get one meant for commercial use, where the manufacturer expects it will be worn a lot and has adapted it properly. Keep in mind you have just raised the noisy part closer to your ears and the dusty part closer to your nose.
Also not fond of bagless vacuums as you have to shake the cup out, spreading the dust everywhere. Or, you have to stick your hand in all that gunk to loosen it up.

The bagless type really bother me. I don't want to shake out and clean out who knows what from that plastic can. I would rather have one with a hepa filter and a filtered bag so I can just pitch it:) The Orek's are about the lightest weight out there I think. But to me..it was heavy when I picked it up at my friend's inn. But I am a weakling anyway:)

The bagless type really bother me. I don't want to shake out and clean out who knows what from that plastic can. I would rather have one with a hepa filter and a filtered bag so I can just pitch it:) The Orek's are about the lightest weight out there I think. But to me..it was heavy when I picked it up at my friend's inn. But I am a weakling anyway:).
We ahve the Oreck. I dont find it very useful. I know some swear by them, but to me, they just push the visible stuff from here to there, so I guess the really small stuff doesn't go very far, either. However, we DO fill the bag up, so it must do something!
And they are very light, 8 lbs.

We got the Oreck... someone posted a contact to call to get one directly from them. I love it! Dh was dubious... but admitted later that he loves it, too.
We, too, fill the bag up.
=)
Kk.

Nothing I have ever seen on the back works, an Oreck works. It is the lightest and has the best suction and the most expensive for a reason. It does NOT have the hoses and attachments that are a pain anyway. It just works. Go to your oreck store and crush up stuff, throw threads and string down and buy that vacuum. We have been with ours for 1 year and pleased as pie. We had gone through FOUR vacuums until we got the ORECK I kid you not.

Nothing I have ever seen on the back works, an Oreck works. It is the lightest and has the best suction and the most expensive for a reason. It does NOT have the hoses and attachments that are a pain anyway. It just works. Go to your oreck store and crush up stuff, throw threads and string down and buy that vacuum. We have been with ours for 1 year and pleased as pie. We had gone through FOUR vacuums until we got the ORECK I kid you not..
Our friends have a oreck. they just put new vinyl tile in the kitchen last week. As I was standing there admiring it...i see these 'scuff" marks on it...it was from them using the ORECK and as he stopped and turned with it the beater bar/brush roller made marks....uh oh;-( They won't be using that in there again. There is not a way to release the beater bar to do hard surfaces like my hoover:-( The Hoover self propelled I have does a great job..but it is heavy.

I have been using a Dyson slim (orange and grey) for 3 years now. I thought for sure the plastic parts would break off on it but no not a thing has broken. It is used everyday to vacuum 4 rooms and the house. The attachment hose is kind of akward though but it works. It really picks up the dirt too.

Well, DH went to the oreck store and got a cannister Iron Man - light weight - it does have a shoulder strap (sold separately) but is light weight enough to hold in one hand and use the wand in the other. The cord doesn't retract and may get in the way. I think a lightwt upright with a hose attachment would be better as this cannister model has a small disposable bag that is going to have to be emptied frequently. But he's the one that's going to be using it the most, so let's see how it works for him! I'm having Dyson visions in my future!

Nothing I have ever seen on the back works, an Oreck works. It is the lightest and has the best suction and the most expensive for a reason. It does NOT have the hoses and attachments that are a pain anyway. It just works. Go to your oreck store and crush up stuff, throw threads and string down and buy that vacuum. We have been with ours for 1 year and pleased as pie. We had gone through FOUR vacuums until we got the ORECK I kid you not..
I ended up buying an inexpensive upright for the other house, just to have something over there so I didn't have to schlep my good upright back & forth. An Oreck is in the plans. Another innkeeper has told me that they stand behind them too, which is the best part. I like having a bag that I can remove & toss vs. emptying a container. But that is just my preference.

I ended up buying an inexpensive upright for the other house, just to have something over there so I didn't have to schlep my good upright back & forth. An Oreck is in the plans. Another innkeeper has told me that they stand behind them too, which is the best part. I like having a bag that I can remove & toss vs. emptying a container. But that is just my preference.
Samster said:
We've replaced just about every possible part on the Oreck we inherited with the inn. It's good that parts are available given that I think most INN vacuums get used more than most home vacuums.

I have been using a Dyson slim (orange and grey) for 3 years now. I thought for sure the plastic parts would break off on it but no not a thing has broken. It is used everyday to vacuum 4 rooms and the house. The attachment hose is kind of akward though but it works. It really picks up the dirt too..
I have a Dyson and it's at least 20 years old. It's been serviced by Dyson a few times, in fact I don't think there's anything of the original machine left.
At my last service the engineer said they're not making the parts for this machine anymore, so her replaced the motor for me to keep it going as long as possible.

We bought a Shark Rocket (there are a couple different models) but love the lightweight aspect. It is bagless, but has two filters. Has a powerhead option for carpet, and a hardwood/dusting head attachment. The small canister in the handle needs emptied frequently, (probably a good thing) but is washable. Handle detaches, has tools - great option for steps and reaching heights. And hangs on my closet wall! Loved it so much we bought one for each floor. SamsClub had a great deal on them, too!

Back