Need a webpage scrutinized, please!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
I just added this to my website. If you could give it a look, let me know if it works, is easy enough to use, would be useful to you as a guest and anything else you come up with.
Thank you for the help! Link removed to protect the guilty.

I like it! That was unexpected, but I like how easy it will be to see what DAY an event will be on. I might time my stay to extend a night, or plan it to miss something. Neat idea.

Great! I was going to link to my chamber calendar, but I like this idea better.
~~g..
Gingerbread Latte said:
~~g.
I will pull the Chamber calendar into this one. And any other local cals I find. Most of the problem around here is that the lodging properties keep these things up to date better than the 'officials' in charge of promoting the events do. I got an email on Friday that goes out to tourists telling them to come for the MLK weekend. Most of them were probably gone from work (and their emails) by the time it was sent.

Not for me.
Unless there are events with links jumping off hte page, it is a non essential for a website, imo. Too many are never updated.
Bad enough to click to a website with a PR inn the news and find "Stay with us for Thanksgiving!" it is now January. d'oh!
Not saying that anyone here would not keep them up to date, but they are never up to date from what I can see, and that shows a big "nothing is going on" to me, as a guest.

Not for me.
Unless there are events with links jumping off hte page, it is a non essential for a website, imo. Too many are never updated.
Bad enough to click to a website with a PR inn the news and find "Stay with us for Thanksgiving!" it is now January. d'oh!
Not saying that anyone here would not keep them up to date, but they are never up to date from what I can see, and that shows a big "nothing is going on" to me, as a guest..
This is a pet peeve of mine. BTW PAII still has a class for last Dec. up. Just sayin...

~~g..
Gingerbread Latte said:
~~g.
I will pull the Chamber calendar into this one. And any other local cals I find. Most of the problem around here is that the lodging properties keep these things up to date better than the 'officials' in charge of promoting the events do. I got an email on Friday that goes out to tourists telling them to come for the MLK weekend. Most of them were probably gone from work (and their emails) by the time it was sent.
Our chamber does not include posting non-chamber member events in the area--or within a reasonable distance. Something like this could include things within a broader area.

Not for me.
Not saying that anyone here would not keep them up to date, but they are never up to date from what I can see, and that shows a big "nothing is going on" to me, as a guest..
If it were kept up to date, would you find it useful in planning a trip? Let's say rather than nothing at all on the website about local events.
I know it is not intuitive so I may have to put some text on the page, but you can click on the event and pull up the info AND the link to the event's homepage, if they have one.
If no one other than Gomez finds it useful, it has served its purpose. He NEVER knows what is going on. Every year he asks me again and again why there is a 2-night min on this weekend or that weekend? SAME events every year but they mean nothing to him. Now he has a go to calendar he can look at if anyone asks him what's going on such and such date.

~~g..
Gingerbread Latte said:
~~g.
Our chamber does not include posting non-chamber member events in the area--or within a reasonable distance. Something like this could include things within a broader area.
As with anything I gather info on for guests, I'll go up to 2 hours away as guests will drive that far. Or, they may be going that way anyway.

Not for me.
If it were kept up to date, would you find it useful in planning a trip? Let's say rather than nothing at all on the website about local events.
I know it is not intuitive so I may have to put some text on the page, but you can click on the event and pull up the info AND the link to the event's homepage, if they have one.
If no one other than Gomez finds it useful, it has served its purpose. He NEVER knows what is going on. Every year he asks me again and again why there is a 2-night min on this weekend or that weekend? SAME events every year but they mean nothing to him. Now he has a go to calendar he can look at if anyone asks him what's going on such and such date.
I would find it useful. Our local University has a wonderful theater department. I plan to put the plays on there and even offer a package. Parents will drive all over the country to see their little darlings perform.
Good point about the chamber site, only member events, not all city happenings.

Morticia ~ I just visited your entire website. It's beautiful. The pictures are gorgeous and the navigation was great. What a wonderful place you have.

I like it, and being a "live calendar" it should never be out of date. If it stops being updated it will just appear empty. It is a good view and easy to navigate.
My only complaint from an SEO point of view is that the content is in an iframe so the search engines won't give your site credit for the content. Not a bad thing, just not beneficial from an SEO content point of view.

I like it, and being a "live calendar" it should never be out of date. If it stops being updated it will just appear empty. It is a good view and easy to navigate.
My only complaint from an SEO point of view is that the content is in an iframe so the search engines won't give your site credit for the content. Not a bad thing, just not beneficial from an SEO content point of view..
swirt said:
My only complaint from an SEO point of view is that the content is in an iframe so the search engines won't give your site credit for the content.
Is that fixable in her situation?

i like it and I think it works well. I don't think you have to worry about whether or not it is good for SEO..there are other ways of accomplishing that. I have actually used it for lots of my clients. I have some of them using it as their availability calendar because they are cheap and don't want to bother with other software..so this is my suggestion as a way to at least show on line whether or not they have a cabin or a room available. It seems to work for them.

It really knocks my socks off. I would hire you as my webmaster and calendar maker in a New York minute. All the work you put into your website really shows.
By the way, did you take the photos? You heard about the Jumping Rocks workshop on food photos and I thought yours on the homepage was great.

It really knocks my socks off. I would hire you as my webmaster and calendar maker in a New York minute. All the work you put into your website really shows.
By the way, did you take the photos? You heard about the Jumping Rocks workshop on food photos and I thought yours on the homepage was great..
Innkeep said:
By the way, did you take the photos? You heard about the Jumping Rocks workshop on food photos and I thought yours on the homepage was great.
Thank you. The really professional-looking photos of the food (and rooms) I hired out. I need a better camera to get those kinds of shots, but most of the candid food shots on the blog are mine. I have huge windows in the dining room and it's a great place to shoot food pix.
See this resource for the person who took the prof pix. https://www.innspiring.com/resources/cooking/breakfast-book-bbs

My only complaint from an SEO point of view is that the content is in an iframe so the search engines won't give your site credit for the content. Not a bad thing, just not beneficial from an SEO content point of view..
I should go back and edit the page a little to build up some good keywords for SEO. Wanted to see if it was helpful to my peeps before I got too involved in it!

Samster said:
I like the idea but not the Google calendar where it chops off the events. I know you can click on the even for more info but I'm wondering since people don't read anyway if they'll explore more. Just sayin'....
It's predicated on the size allowances. I could make the calendar wider and avoid the chopping off SOME of the events, but then I have to make the template larger and it gets to be a lot more work! I will add the 'click on the event for more info' statement so guests know what to do if they've never encountered a calendar like this before.

Thanks all for the help. Will remove the link now to remain 'anon'.
wink_smile.gif

Back