Need advice...bed wetter

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I tell ya, this just justifies our policy of not accepting children..
But you forget, some inns, as in Bree and Seashanty have no choice in the matter. They HAVE no choice under their State law they cannot refuse children.
I take kids and so far, so good, have never had a problem - and I hope it stays that way.
gillumhouse said:
But you forget, some inns, as in Bree and Seashanty have no choice in the matter. They HAVE no choice under their State law they cannot refuse children.
Time to move. It's ridiculous when the State tells an individual who they HAVE TO allow into their own home. When last I checked a Bed and Breakfast distinguishes itself from other forms of lodging because it has traditionally been in a persons home.
Just advertise that your B&B is nextdoor to a registered sex offender and I'll bet that cuts down on the kid traffic, by yingo!
omg_smile.gif

Frankly, I don't know what I'd do. I think you're doing all you can. Plastic cover, wash sheets every day. Figure out if there's a way to charge her for it.
It definitely sucks.
=/
Kk.

Hey folks...not wanting this to turn into an argument on who is or is not allowed in my B&B...just want to know how to handle the bed wetting situation that is now present.

Hey folks...not wanting this to turn into an argument on who is or is not allowed in my B&B...just want to know how to handle the bed wetting situation that is now present..
I don't know what else you can do without confronting the mother; I think for me a week of running to the laundromat would force me to say something. Plus the ruining of the mattress - you now have me convinced to go buy waterproof covers for all the beds (I have a few up there already) but since I just spent several thousand on four new mattresses I would like to be safe. I don't take real young kids here, but I have had 11-year-olds in the past and would be surprised at the bed-wetting.
I feel for you, and it's a bad week to have it happen with no washer. Hugs to you...

I take kids and so far, so good, have never had a problem - and I hope it stays that way.
gillumhouse said:
Time to move. It's ridiculous when the State tells an individual who they HAVE TO allow into their own home. When last I checked a Bed and Breakfast distinguishes itself from other forms of lodging because it has traditionally been in a persons home.
Just advertise that your B&B is nextdoor to a registered sex offender and I'll bet that cuts down on the kid traffic, by yingo!
omg_smile.gif

When last I checked a Bed and Breakfast distinguishes itself from other forms of lodging because it has traditionally been in a persons home.
I truly am not trying to be argumentative about this. As you are aware, Aspirings lurk and we so not ever want then to have misinformation. While many B & Bs are in people's homes, many are larger and even if the innkeeper does live on-site (and it is their home), a B & B of x number of guestrooms falls into a difference category than the "homestay" B & B such as me (3 rooms). Once you go over the number of rooms the rules are different.
Here in West Virginia, 6 and under do not have to have a commercial kitchen. If I had that 7th room, I would have to install a commercial kitchen - but I would also then be able to have a restaurant if I wished, depending on ZONING of course. Also 3 rooms or less - owner or innkeeper occupied - under the Fire Codes is "just a residence" and if I had a 4th room, those requirements would change. It all depends on where you are and the laws of your State. New York laws limit the number of rooms one can have . Minnesota Fire Codes require a window of a certain dimension but do not require a ladder for that window - folding or otherwise because to quote an assistant Fire Marshal, "we figure people will jump rather than burn. They may have a sprained ankle or a broken leg but they will be alive."
It is the State Legislators - elected by the People - stating what they feel is safe "for the Public" in their opinion in their State. If someone disagrees with this, like we did, get it changed. We did not get what we wanted, but we did get better than what we had - most of our inns were now legal.
When we make a statement about a law or rule, we need to specify in what State it is because there are GREAT differences!

Waterproof mattress covers that do not crackle for all types of accidents. The only draw back is the fact that they might make people warmer than they would like to be when they sleep. I like the idea of a water proof barrier and another mattress cover over that. I guess the only way to tell what sort of a sleep this plan gives is to sleep on the bed. I have mentioned before that I had a gal with a "that time of the month" accident. It could have caused major problems if I had not had a waterproof mattress cover. The other thought. it is not always kids that have problems.
Plastic mattress covers would crackle and sleep hot in my estimation.

gillumhouse said:
omg_smile.gif

When last I checked a Bed and Breakfast distinguishes itself from other forms of lodging because it has traditionally been in a persons home.
I truly am not trying to be argumentative about this. As you are aware, Aspirings lurk and we so not ever want then to have misinformation. While many B & Bs are in people's homes, many are larger and even if the innkeeper does live on-site (and it is their home), a B & B of x number of guestrooms falls into a difference category than the "homestay" B & B such as me (3 rooms). Once you go over the number of rooms the rules are different.
Here in West Virginia, 6 and under do not have to have a commercial kitchen. If I had that 7th room, I would have to install a commercial kitchen - but I would also then be able to have a restaurant if I wished, depending on ZONING of course. Also 3 rooms or less - owner or innkeeper occupied - under the Fire Codes is "just a residence" and if I had a 4th room, those requirements would change. It all depends on where you are and the laws of your State. New York laws limit the number of rooms one can have . Minnesota Fire Codes require a window of a certain dimension but do not require a ladder for that window - folding or otherwise because to quote an assistant Fire Marshal, "we figure people will jump rather than burn. They may have a sprained ankle or a broken leg but they will be alive."
It is the State Legislators - elected by the People - stating what they feel is safe "for the Public" in their opinion in their State. If someone disagrees with this, like we did, get it changed. We did not get what we wanted, but we did get better than what we had - most of our inns were now legal.
When we make a statement about a law or rule, we need to specify in what State it is because there are GREAT differences!
Maybe I misspoke, but we're talking apples and oranges here. When you are a larger establishment you really fall under a different classification. If you have multiple rooms and just happen to live on premises, you become more of a Bed and Breakfast Inn, which is closer to being a small hotel that serves breakfast as opposed to the smaller in-home Bed and Breakfasts. Maybe this forum should make that distinction. Aspirings need to know that there is a difference and that different rules apply.
Where we are, in Lower Podunk, Texas
tounge_smile.gif
, There are similar rules for larger establishments, but for smaller places, Austin just wants to make sure they get their room taxes. We have weird rules about liquor licenses and such, but by-in-large we consider ourselves to be fortunate.

Waterproof mattress covers that do not crackle for all types of accidents. The only draw back is the fact that they might make people warmer than they would like to be when they sleep. I like the idea of a water proof barrier and another mattress cover over that. I guess the only way to tell what sort of a sleep this plan gives is to sleep on the bed. I have mentioned before that I had a gal with a "that time of the month" accident. It could have caused major problems if I had not had a waterproof mattress cover. The other thought. it is not always kids that have problems.
Plastic mattress covers would crackle and sleep hot in my estimation..
I have Beautyrest waterproof mattress covers and they do not crinkle or crackle. I have slept on them and didn't find mine to be any hotter than other plain ones I have.
Check out some of the options on this site:
Overstock.com
Protective Bedding

We can ALL put NOT APPROPRIATE FOR CHILDREN on our websites. We can word it in a way that is a turn off for any parent bringing a kid.
Also rooms are designed for two people only.
If you have a room with more beds, then charge alot more for that other bed. And adult - say sisters traveling together who want their own beds will pay it. A parent will not pay it when KIDS SLEEP FREE at the local hotels. Parents do not want to pay extra for their kids.
These are all ways without involving any law to make our places non child friendly.

Hey folks...not wanting this to turn into an argument on who is or is not allowed in my B&B...just want to know how to handle the bed wetting situation that is now present..
I don't know what else you can do without confronting the mother; I think for me a week of running to the laundromat would force me to say something. Plus the ruining of the mattress - you now have me convinced to go buy waterproof covers for all the beds (I have a few up there already) but since I just spent several thousand on four new mattresses I would like to be safe. I don't take real young kids here, but I have had 11-year-olds in the past and would be surprised at the bed-wetting.
I feel for you, and it's a bad week to have it happen with no washer. Hugs to you...
muirford said:
Thanks. And let's not forget that my town flooded two nights ago..6 inches of rain. So yesterday it was all the campers at the laundromat drying out. Today it will be the locals whose roads are now passable but who don't have water!
And today the pillows and quilt were soaked.

Here is family friendly! What a great place for kids!!!
The farm life
Waterloo Cedar Falls Courier - Waterloo,IA,USA
Just a typical morning at the Farm House Bed and Breakfast just east of Fredericksburg, owners Dianna and Loren Engelbrecht say. The couple make sure their ...

Here is family friendly! What a great place for kids!!!
The farm life
Waterloo Cedar Falls Courier - Waterloo,IA,USA
Just a typical morning at the Farm House Bed and Breakfast just east of Fredericksburg, owners Dianna and Loren Engelbrecht say. The couple make sure their ...
We have in our Assoc a member in PA that is a working farm. They give Junior Farmer certificates to the kids at the end of the stay.

I know that in the UK the guests would automatically be paying for a new mattress. I would be asking for that also. In fact I would be moving them on - I would not keep them as guests at all. I think you should have immediately talked with the family the first night it happened. By allowing it to go on you have given your consent for it to happen. You need to take some kind of action immediately in my opinion.

I know that in the UK the guests would automatically be paying for a new mattress. I would be asking for that also. In fact I would be moving them on - I would not keep them as guests at all. I think you should have immediately talked with the family the first night it happened. By allowing it to go on you have given your consent for it to happen. You need to take some kind of action immediately in my opinion..
I did speak with the mother the first morning. I was stunned she didn't even mention it to us. She said he 'ocassionally has problems with that'. Today, when I approached her again, she told me she didn't know it was still going on. Please. She's sleeping in the same room. She's not even checking.
I have the guy who makes our mattresses faxing me a bill. I'll give that to her when she comes back tonight.
I told her she should get him the 'pull ups' so he's not being embarassed by this. HE won't even talk to us anymore.

Plastic mattress covers would crackle and sleep hot in my estimation..
I have Beautyrest waterproof mattress covers and they do not crinkle or crackle. I have slept on them and didn't find mine to be any hotter than other plain ones I have.
Check out some of the options on this site:
Overstock.com
Protective Bedding
I just listened to NPR on the radio while I was going to the grocery store and they had some stories on bugs - first roaches, then bedbugs. I am getting the mattress encasers, and maybe enough for the box springs, too. Yuck
tounge_smile.gif

gillumhouse said:
omg_smile.gif

Gillumhouse...You are right. Aspirings are lurking and learning. The more accurate the info, the better it is for us potential innkeepers. Thanks

gillumhouse said:
omg_smile.gif

Gillumhouse...You are right. Aspirings are lurking and learning. The more accurate the info, the better it is for us potential innkeepers. Thanks
marcia s skolnick said:
I have to say these are the topics that scare aspirings away! They don't want to hear about any of the grungy side of innkeeping.
But get this, I went to freshen a room today - the bed was made, the towels hung up, I had to search for personal belongings as everything was put away in the drawers and closet on hangers! (I thought maybe they skipped out) BEE-YOU-TEE-FULL GUESTS!
For them I made brownies with mocha kisses inside (they are big coffee lovers). Just for them. Super guests. We do have super guests, we just don't have a whole lot to share about them. But we do get them and enjoy them!
teeth_smile.gif

I know that in the UK the guests would automatically be paying for a new mattress. I would be asking for that also. In fact I would be moving them on - I would not keep them as guests at all. I think you should have immediately talked with the family the first night it happened. By allowing it to go on you have given your consent for it to happen. You need to take some kind of action immediately in my opinion..
I did speak with the mother the first morning. I was stunned she didn't even mention it to us. She said he 'ocassionally has problems with that'. Today, when I approached her again, she told me she didn't know it was still going on. Please. She's sleeping in the same room. She's not even checking.
I have the guy who makes our mattresses faxing me a bill. I'll give that to her when she comes back tonight.
I told her she should get him the 'pull ups' so he's not being embarassed by this. HE won't even talk to us anymore.
this is a serious issue. and it is not just confined to children .... i remember celebrities on a talk show one day discussing their own bedwetting problem that still occurred with stress as an adult.
we have had incontinent adults stay here ... you can't screen for them ... all you can do is have a policy about laundering ... most wear the depends and other items. as soon as these are spotted in the trash, i police their room trash a few times a day to get them out quickly.
i have rubber sheeting that i put on the bed in between the supposedly waterproof mattress pads and the mattresses. the mattress pads are designed for spillage, not soaking .... and a true bed wetter will usually sleep right through the wetting ... that is part of the problem.
one elderly gentleman reeked of urine at checkin, and i cringed when he went to sit down anywhere. when he went out to supper, i put a rubber sheet on the stuffed chair in his room, covered it with a quilt so that i could launder those.
mom is not monitoring this bedwetting ... child is too embarassed to discuss it ... she is likely embarrassed about it as well ... and you are having a major laundry and cleaning crisis.
i wonder if it is aggravated by him being away from home ... perhaps he does not have much of an issue in his own bed? if this is the case, she may not believe you or think you are exaggerating. and if he is unsupervised at nite, she won't be able to restrict his liquid intake in the evening.
have you had any opportunity to show her the bed linens so she can see how much wetting is happening?
biggest question ... do they check out soon??

this is a serious issue. and it is not just confined to children .... i remember celebrities on a talk show one day discussing their own bedwetting problem that still occurred with stress as an adult.
we have had incontinent adults stay here ... you can't screen for them ... all you can do is have a policy about laundering ... most wear the depends and other items. as soon as these are spotted in the trash, i police their room trash a few times a day to get them out quickly.
i have rubber sheeting that i put on the bed in between the supposedly waterproof mattress pads and the mattresses. the mattress pads are designed for spillage, not soaking .... and a true bed wetter will usually sleep right through the wetting ... that is part of the problem.
one elderly gentleman reeked of urine at checkin, and i cringed when he went to sit down anywhere. when he went out to supper, i put a rubber sheet on the stuffed chair in his room, covered it with a quilt so that i could launder those.
mom is not monitoring this bedwetting ... child is too embarassed to discuss it ... she is likely embarrassed about it as well ... and you are having a major laundry and cleaning crisis.
i wonder if it is aggravated by him being away from home ... perhaps he does not have much of an issue in his own bed? if this is the case, she may not believe you or think you are exaggerating. and if he is unsupervised at nite, she won't be able to restrict his liquid intake in the evening.
have you had any opportunity to show her the bed linens so she can see how much wetting is happening?
She is in the same room. She can certainly look over at the soaking wet bed without me having to take her hand and lead her to it. He, however, is making the bed, so I know he is embarassed. BUT, that is leading to the quilt now being sopping wet as well as the pillows.
Yes, those mattress pads DO absorb a lot of liquid, but not a full scale onslaught from a sleeping child. And the thick ones I use have worked for all these years.
And, like I said, the boy is not even talking to us anymore. He would at least say hello in the mornings. I'm chalking that up to embarassment altho we haven't even seen his sister except outside. (Not sure how she is getting in and out without us seeing her!)
Hubs has to handle the billing situation. HE is diplomatic. I have already told her the bed has to be replaced, that this is not like someone's house. I explained the Board of Health stuff to her. She walked out the door saying her son must be very embarassed by all of this and she wished I had told her what was going on. WHAT?
I guess I was supposed to lie in wait for her when she came back everyday to fill her in on her son's problem. 3 days more, not a moment too soon. I am beyond stressed now. Today I stripped the bed and remade it with the bottom sheet and a top sheet. No blankets, no quilt, the rest had to be washed. The thick mattress pad is gone because I'm not washing it again.
We'll see if she does anything about tonight. I suggested no liquids after dinner. But she really seems like an absent parent.

She is in the same room. She can certainly look over at the soaking wet bed without me having to take her hand and lead her to it. He, however, is making the bed, so I know he is embarassed. BUT, that is leading to the quilt now being sopping wet as well as the pillows.
Yes, those mattress pads DO absorb a lot of liquid, but not a full scale onslaught from a sleeping child. And the thick ones I use have worked for all these years.
And, like I said, the boy is not even talking to us anymore. He would at least say hello in the mornings. I'm chalking that up to embarassment altho we haven't even seen his sister except outside. (Not sure how she is getting in and out without us seeing her!)
Hubs has to handle the billing situation. HE is diplomatic. I have already told her the bed has to be replaced, that this is not like someone's house. I explained the Board of Health stuff to her. She walked out the door saying her son must be very embarassed by all of this and she wished I had told her what was going on. WHAT?
I guess I was supposed to lie in wait for her when she came back everyday to fill her in on her son's problem. 3 days more, not a moment too soon. I am beyond stressed now. Today I stripped the bed and remade it with the bottom sheet and a top sheet. No blankets, no quilt, the rest had to be washed. The thick mattress pad is gone because I'm not washing it again.
We'll see if she does anything about tonight. I suggested no liquids after dinner. But she really seems like an absent parent.
Bree said:
She is in the same room. She can certainly look over at the soaking wet bed without me having to take her hand and lead her to it. ...........We'll see if she does anything about tonight. I suggested no liquids after dinner. But she really seems like an absent parent.
Including Absent MInded! Some people should not reproduce. When DH sees children behaving badly and not being attended to, he says 'There's more of those orphan children!'

Back