Need advice...bed wetter

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
so, gillum,
- if the parents don't want the child in the bed with them, and
- they don't want to book a separate room, and
- you can't put a cot in the room (cause it will block fire exists) , and
- you can't move out a queen size bed and install two separate beds,
What's an innkeeper to do? Well, of course, according to State law..
Trisha, what if it's just one parent travelling with a child... say, a mother and her 7 year old daughter? They don't need a cot or two beds because they'll just share the one bed. Maybe in your state with your size place you can say No to them, but there are innkeepers (and aspiring innkeepers) in other states who are not allowed to decline a booking based soley on the age of a guest.

Without being too specific, why are they there anyway? Just wondering. If a kid is a bed wetter you typically do not have him away from home if you can help it or put pull-ups on him and noone needs to be the wiser.
We have had kids sleep here visiting who peed all over the place and I won't invite them back again. I never said anything to them or the parent. But it sure was a lot of laundry and work to get rid of the stench..
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Without being too specific, why are they there anyway? Just wondering. If a kid is a bed wetter you typically do not have him away from home if you can help it or put pull-ups on him and noone needs to be the wiser.
We have had kids sleep here visiting who peed all over the place and I won't invite them back again. I never said anything to them or the parent. But it sure was a lot of laundry and work to get rid of the stench.
Vacation. Simply vacation. And all the windows are open in that room, rain or no. I open them when I walk in.
What is the update? Have you reached a resolution yet to this problem? Did the mother finally agreee to pay for the damages? I bet you'll be glad when these folks check out ;-)
bedwetters.jpg

Here we see two innkeepers attempting to get a bed wetting situation under control.
Thank you for the humor! Greatly appreciated on this, the 6th morning...
so there is one more nite to go or is this it?
have you put down a layer of rubber sheeting and/or trash bags? or what did you try to do to ward off the wet?
i have a gentleman who has brought with him a supply of 'chucks' that he sleeps on. i fluffed his bed and spotted it on the sheet. then saw the pile of them with his things so i discarded the one on the bed. pulled everything off the bed, put extra rubber sheeting between the mattress pad and the mattress and replaced his chuck with a new one. just in case. there were also very wet adult depends in the bedroom trash to dispose of.
my dad became incontinent towards the end of his life. but he was totally aware of it, tried very hard to control it, and miserable about it. reacted badly to med to try to control it and dr. declined to do prostate surgery as he was almost 90 and had weakend heart.
seashanty said:
so there is one more nite to go or is this it?
have you put down a layer of rubber sheeting and/or trash bags? or what did you try to do to ward off the wet?
i have a gentleman who has brought with him a supply of 'chucks' that he sleeps on. i fluffed his bed and spotted it on the sheet. then saw the pile of them with his things so i discarded the one on the bed. pulled everything off the bed, put extra rubber sheeting between the mattress pad and the mattress and replaced his chuck with a new one. just in case. there were also very wet adult depends in the bedroom trash to dispose of.
my dad became incontinent towards the end of his life. but he was totally aware of it, tried very hard to control it, and miserable about it. reacted badly to med to try to control it and dr. declined to do prostate surgery as he was almost 90 and had weakend heart.
Immediately, the first morning we cleaned this up we put down a contractor grade plastic bag on top of the new mattress pad and a towel on top of the bag, sheets on top, blanket & quilt. Next day took off mattress pad & blanket (tired of washing them and realizing this wasn't a one off) and had the plastic sheet in place with towel on top. Next day got tired of washing towel, too and just put sheets on bed. Next day removed quilt. Have now removed all pillows (they're going in the trash).
gosh! not to put too fine a point on it, but this is a lot of urine from one person in the night to destroy pillows, too!
seashanty said:
gosh! not to put too fine a point on it, but this is a lot of urine from one person in the night to destroy pillows, too!
You have no idea, really, no idea how much. That first night it soaked thru the thick (couple of inches) mattrss pad AND thru the mattress. I ended up losing 3 pillows. They went into the trash today.

so, gillum,
Trisha, what if it's just one parent travelling with a child... say, a mother and her 7 year old daughter? They don't need a cot or two beds because they'll just share the one bed. Maybe in your state with your size place you can say No to them, but there are innkeepers (and aspiring innkeepers) in other states who are not allowed to decline a booking based soley on the age of a guest.
That would be our decision to make.
I think the point I'm trying to make is that your B&B is YOUR B&B. And your home, for goodness sake, is yours, and you are responsible for what happens in YOUR home. It's still your home.
YOU have the right to say no or yes, and be ready to be accountable for that response.
I live and thrive here. My Dh and my dogs live and thrive here. This is OUR home.
The guests, are GUESTS in OUR home. WE make the rules. If they don't agree with something, they are very, very welcome to leave (and we hope the door doesn't hit them in the ass on the way out).
BUT, we've never, ever had that problem.
We've met hard-working, regular people, veterinarians, oncologists, famous newscasters, teachers, teachers, teachers, doctors, gymnasts, nurses, wall street stockbrokers, plastic surgeons
And you know what? No matter WHO they are, or WHERE they come from, they all love a beautiful night's sleep and a big, hearty breakfast. And, with my antics, they all laugh.
What was the question?

so, gillum,
I think the point I'm trying to make is that your B&B is YOUR B&B. And your home, for goodness sake, is yours, and you are responsible for what happens in YOUR home. It's still your home.
YOU have the right to say no or yes, and be ready to be accountable for that response.
I live and thrive here. My Dh and my dogs live and thrive here. This is OUR home.
The guests, are GUESTS in OUR home. WE make the rules. If they don't agree with something, they are very, very welcome to leave (and we hope the door doesn't hit them in the ass on the way out).
We've met hard-working, regular people, veterinarians, oncologists, famous newscasters, teachers, teachers, teachers, doctors, gymnasts, nurses, wall street stockbrokers, plastic surgeons
And you know what? No matter WHO they are, or WHERE they come from, they all love a beautiful night's sleep and a big, hearty breakfast. And, with my antics, they all laugh.
What was the question?
trishany said:
The guests, are GUESTS in OUR home.
We may refer to them politely as guests, but they aren't really guests in our home. They are paying customers in a business that you happen to reside in. The point that Guillumhouse and others are making is that each of us has to be careful to understand the laws as they apply to each of our businesses in our locations. B&B's are all unique and so are the laws that apply to them in each location. Some of us may have the freedom to dictate what the rules of our business are. Others, by nature of their size, location or other arrangement are unable to be as restrictive.
trishany said:
"Never ever" is one of those things that has a different meaning when coming from someone who has been innkeeping a liitle over a year, when compared to someone that has been doing it over a decade.

so, gillum,
What was the question?
trishany said:
The guests, are GUESTS in OUR home.
We may refer to them politely as guests, but they aren't really guests in our home. They are paying customers in a business that you happen to reside in. The point that Guillumhouse and others are making is that each of us has to be careful to understand the laws as they apply to each of our businesses in our locations. B&B's are all unique and so are the laws that apply to them in each location. Some of us may have the freedom to dictate what the rules of our business are. Others, by nature of their size, location or other arrangement are unable to be as restrictive.
trishany said:
"Never ever" is one of those things that has a different meaning when coming from someone who has been innkeeping a liitle over a year, when compared to someone that has been doing it over a decade.
Hey Swirt, I will never, ever say "never ever" again!
I really DO know the point you are making.
But MY point is that if there is a real a***le in the group, I would throw his/her butt out and then deal. That goes for anything.
I don't want my HOME (even though he/she is a "paying customer") "re-arranged" in ANY way. I think a judge would understand (but, maybe not, come to think of it lol)
Still, this is OUR home and we make the rules. Never had this happen yet, but, "never say never:"

Bree, Thank you so much for this topic. Tonight's in-coming has 3 kids - at least one is a boy. This is a stressful (and could be traumatic depending on how long they were at the previous posting) time with everything topsy-turvey so I un-made the bed and added a second mattress pad for tonight just in case. I do not have any "waterproof" but feel a bit more comfortable about things now.

Wow....what a topic, and where it went and back....
About the bed wetter...sorry, I do not have no tolerance for parents who don't care about their children. If she would, she would do anything in her power not to put her child in an ebarressing situation.
She should be the one embarressed, not the child. She might even be the cause of his bed wetting, who knows...
yes, make her pay for all the trouble it cost you.
That is my 2 cents.

About the bed wetter...sorry, I do not have no tolerance for parents who don't care about their children. If she would, she would do anything in her power not to put her child in an ebarressing situation.
She should be the one embarressed, not the child. She might even be the cause of his bed wetting, who knows...
That is my 2 cents..
We were paid for the bed, but not the aggravation and the stench and the clean up. It is my assumption she has hired help at her house that see to all of life's little dirty events, so she doesn't have to. Thus, the total lack of respect for what we were going thru each day cleaning that room.
And being as you mentioned tips in another thread...there was not a dime or even a 'thank you' when they left.

Here is one for you...My sister and her family are renting a large home in CA for the summer. Realtor said the place would be clean for move-in as 3 college students had been renting it.
So I am told it was not clean. Sister is totally aggro about it as they hired a carpet cleaner and bought $50 in cleaning products and cleaned it and sent the bill to realtor. (Of course we all would have hired a company to do it and send THAT bill to realtor).
Here is the part you all will enjoy - Sister says "It's one thing cleaning up after your own family but you have no idea what it is like cleaning up other people's mess."
(insert either pin drop silence here or screaming at monitor)

Here is one for you...My sister and her family are renting a large home in CA for the summer. Realtor said the place would be clean for move-in as 3 college students had been renting it.
So I am told it was not clean. Sister is totally aggro about it as they hired a carpet cleaner and bought $50 in cleaning products and cleaned it and sent the bill to realtor. (Of course we all would have hired a company to do it and send THAT bill to realtor).
Here is the part you all will enjoy - Sister says "It's one thing cleaning up after your own family but you have no idea what it is like cleaning up other people's mess."
(insert either pin drop silence here or screaming at monitor).
Is your sister on this planet? Earth to Sister! Do you know what an innkeeper does? Obviously NOT!

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Hee hee, aren't families funny? Did you reply back, 'You're right, I don't, tell me more!' But, of course, you are not LIVING in the mess created by those guests. You only have to clean it up and go back to your nice, tidy space. And that's where she'll get you...SHE had to live in it while she was cleaning it. YOU don't have to do that.

Here, it was the sound of my chin dropping. Yeesch........

ARGHHHH!!!!!
=)
Kk.

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Hee hee, aren't families funny? Did you reply back, 'You're right, I don't, tell me more!' But, of course, you are not LIVING in the mess created by those guests. You only have to clean it up and go back to your nice, tidy space. And that's where she'll get you...SHE had to live in it while she was cleaning it. YOU don't have to do that.
But, of course, you are not LIVING in the mess created by those guests. You only have to clean it up and go back to your nice, tidy space. And that's where she'll get you...SHE had to live in it while she was cleaning it. YOU don't have to do that.
And we have so much time on our hands that our space is white glove test clean! I told DH when he can't stand it, he is welcome to clean it himself since he IS Mr. White Gloves.

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
But, of course, you are not LIVING in the mess created by those guests. You only have to clean it up and go back to your nice, tidy space. And that's where she'll get you...SHE had to live in it while she was cleaning it. YOU don't have to do that.
And we have so much time on our hands that our space is white glove test clean! I told DH when he can't stand it, he is welcome to clean it himself since he IS Mr. White Gloves.
gillumhouse said:
Other daughter here today says she wiped down the tub in the room they stayed in before she would put the baby in for a bath. Wanted to know if I'd ever seen those Dateline shows? Then wanted to wash sunscreen off baby and I told her to pop him in the kitchen sink as she would die if she even SAW my tub, much less wanted to put her baby into it. She said, 'You don't take baths, then?' I told her even my feet don't want to get in the tub but that's the price you pay in the summer.

That is my 2 cents..
We were paid for the bed, but not the aggravation and the stench and the clean up. It is my assumption she has hired help at her house that see to all of life's little dirty events, so she doesn't have to. Thus, the total lack of respect for what we were going thru each day cleaning that room.
And being as you mentioned tips in another thread...there was not a dime or even a 'thank you' when they left.
I am so sorry to hear this. Some people really upset me.
At least you gotten a new mattress out of it.
I noticed that when waitressing, the customers you did the most for left nothing, and the ones you nelected left the biggest tips.....
They are on your "Never again" list ?

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
gillumhouse said:
She didn't have to live in it at all. They cleaned it then moved in. They don't even have furniture, it is all in their house in Ireland.
She has NO IDEA what I do, absolutely NO IDEA. Whenever we have telephoned it is all one sided about her kids and an hour later I have said two words when I hang up. That is because I won't fight to speak, esp to someone who won't listen.

That is my 2 cents..
I noticed that when waitressing, the customers you did the most for left nothing, and the ones you nelected left the biggest tips.....
Mooseberry Inn said:
Funny thing is, they annoyed me but they're not the folks I really don't want back. (They wouldn't come back anyway.) It's the smokers and, thinking about it, the people who caused the 'STOP!' sign to have to appear in the kitchen...the ones who made such a mess because we wouldn't get up and feed them at 5 AM who I don't want back here again.

That is my 2 cents..
Mooseberry Inn said:
Funny thing is, they annoyed me but they're not the folks I really don't want back. (They wouldn't come back anyway.) It's the smokers and, thinking about it, the people who caused the 'STOP!' sign to have to appear in the kitchen...the ones who made such a mess because we wouldn't get up and feed them at 5 AM who I don't want back here again.
Thought I would update - bed was totally DRY! Yippee!!! Decided to just leave the second mattress pad on the bed. Extra padding and makes room on the shelf with it on the bed!

No more kids allowed at our b & b.
We love them, but, last night 4 room bookings, a 16 mos. old baby boy was up all night crying. He was sick and we felt badly for him but nothing would stop his crying. Nonetheless, the whole house didn't sleep. Of course we had to apologize to each guest as they come down for breakfast. I'm sure not one of them will be back.
New policy going up today, No kids, no pets.

Back