Need advice...bed wetter

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
No more kids allowed at our b & b.
We love them, but, last night 4 room bookings, a 16 mos. old baby boy was up all night crying. He was sick and we felt badly for him but nothing would stop his crying. Nonetheless, the whole house didn't sleep. Of course we had to apologize to each guest as they come down for breakfast. I'm sure not one of them will be back.
New policy going up today, No kids, no pets..
You know it!! No kids here either!!!

We love them, but, last night 4 room bookings, a 16 mos. old baby boy was up all night crying. He was sick and we felt badly for him but nothing would stop his crying. Nonetheless, the whole house didn't sleep. Of course we had to apologize to each guest as they come down for breakfast. I'm sure not one of them will be back.
knowlesl said:
New policy going up today, No kids, no pets.
That could be throwing the baby out with the bath water. In a case like that, where someone (any guest at all) is causing a disruption, that guest needs to be asked to leave. If it were a drunk, you call the police to remove the person if need be. A crying baby or brawling couple need to be removed as well.
If the parents would not do this on their own, shame on them. With your assistance they could have found accommodations in a hotel if they were too far from home to leave.
We still take kids but we make it clear to parents that they are responsible for controlling their children to insure everyone enjoys their stay. And, yes, rather unfortunately, the other guests probably won't be back. It's happened here and because 4 young kids stomped up the stairs at 10 PM instead of their parents using the back stairs as we showed them to.

REquesting the child be removed from the area has been done - ask Bree. She requested a squalling child be removed from the dining room - and it was her grandchild!
It is not an unreasonable request. The other guests paid their money to have a wonderful get-away. They have as much right to their sleep as the parents have to take their child elsewhere - NOW! Just my opinion. (Being small, so far the only time we had a squaller, they were the only ones in-house. We have been lucky.)

knowlesl said:
That could be throwing the baby out with the bath water. In a case like that, where someone (any guest at all) is causing a disruption, that guest needs to be asked to leave. If it were a drunk, you call the police to remove the person if need be. A crying baby or brawling couple need to be removed as well.
If the parents would not do this on their own, shame on them. With your assistance they could have found accommodations in a hotel if they were too far from home to leave.
We still take kids but we make it clear to parents that they are responsible for controlling their children to insure everyone enjoys their stay. And, yes, rather unfortunately, the other guests probably won't be back. It's happened here and because 4 young kids stomped up the stairs at 10 PM instead of their parents using the back stairs as we showed them to.
I agree that the parents SHOULD be responsible and DO something but they usually won't and I for one would not want to be the one to throw them out into the night:-( That's is why our policy was NO KIDS, NO PETS. That way everyone knows up front. To us, it was NEVER worth the hassle. We just didn't deal with them and our business was fine.
But, I guess you do have to deal with the LAW in MAINE that you have to take their kids. If I was forced to take them, I would not be business.
Since you are, you have to deal with them and their problems unfortunately. Isn't this a cause your state association would be willing to take up with the "powers that be???"

knowlesl said:
AMEN!

knowlesl said:
I agree that the parents SHOULD be responsible and DO something but they usually won't and I for one would not want to be the one to throw them out into the night:-( That's is why our policy was NO KIDS, NO PETS. That way everyone knows up front. To us, it was NEVER worth the hassle. We just didn't deal with them and our business was fine.
But, I guess you do have to deal with the LAW in MAINE that you have to take their kids. If I was forced to take them, I would not be business.
Since you are, you have to deal with them and their problems unfortunately. Isn't this a cause your state association would be willing to take up with the "powers that be???"
In actuality, the kids are not the problem. It is the parents who do not educate their children in how to behave in public. Having had 6 2-legged animals to deal with, I am proud to say that the 6 I knew on MY side of the front door were not the same 6 known on the world's side of that door. I was pleased to be told how helpful, polite, and considerate my kids were - even the jock who could be a TOTAL B!
Most of the breakage at my house has been from the adult guests and the brattiest kid to ever cross our threshhold was a 21 year-old traveling with her horse to a competition that Mommy was paying the entire freight for. She was so insulting to her Mom that I had to leave the room before I said something I should not. We have had many toddlers and older kids. I thank all the innkeepers who do not take kids - send them to me. I can always use the occupancy.

knowlesl said:
catlady said:
The law covers any kind of rental properties, so it's not just lodging, it's also apts, all tied together. I'm not a fan of kids, but for the most part they've been fine. (Exceptions being few and far between, like the kid who started this thread!) All guests know they may encounter children here. It's in our policy statement online, it's in the policy section when you book online and it's in the confirmation. And I ask about kids when the parents book. Will the child sleep thru the night? WIll they walk on the stairs? Will they be able to sit quietly thru breakfast? I may scare some parents off, but they probably didn't belong in someone's home anyway.
I have sat with the toddlers while their parents eat breakfast. I'll walk them around, read to them, play puzzles with them. But if your kid is screaming, your kid is leaving. Like I said during the summer, if I can throw my own grandkid out the door, I can throw your kid, too.
Boy, did hubs and I have a go around about this today! I'm all for asking the parents to leave, helping them make arrangements elsewhere and showing them the door if they are too inconsiderate to take it upon themselves to show themselves out. He says it's not the baby's fault. He would feel it necessary to give a refund to the departing parents. I asked if he would rather the kid cried all night and he had to refund everyone else for the misery? No refund for departing parents. The kid is your responsibility and along with that comes the breakage, the leaving early, the babysitters, whatever.
I said it's not like the kid was hungry and they fed it and it was quiet again. Anyone could wake up in the middle of the night and slam a door on their way to get a cup of tea, stomp down the stairs, etc. But, it's done and it's over. Crying children, screaming spouses, drunken brawls all have to be handled by the management and we're the management.
I brought up unruly kids in restaurants and the staff immobilised with fear of confronting the parents. Hello. I'M sitting there with 10 other couples doing my best to not get up and walk out. And next time it may just happen...unruly kids, no management interference? Then I'M the one walking with my money out the door. Let the parents and the kid have the place to themselves. It's obvious they already feel as if they are alone.
I get crotchetier the older I get. If I had to shush my kids, then by goodness others need to shush their kids as well. If you can't afford the babysitter, you probably can't afford the meal, either. So stay home and save up.

knowlesl said:
catlady said:
The law covers any kind of rental properties, so it's not just lodging, it's also apts, all tied together. I'm not a fan of kids, but for the most part they've been fine. (Exceptions being few and far between, like the kid who started this thread!) All guests know they may encounter children here. It's in our policy statement online, it's in the policy section when you book online and it's in the confirmation. And I ask about kids when the parents book. Will the child sleep thru the night? WIll they walk on the stairs? Will they be able to sit quietly thru breakfast? I may scare some parents off, but they probably didn't belong in someone's home anyway.
I have sat with the toddlers while their parents eat breakfast. I'll walk them around, read to them, play puzzles with them. But if your kid is screaming, your kid is leaving. Like I said during the summer, if I can throw my own grandkid out the door, I can throw your kid, too.
Boy, did hubs and I have a go around about this today! I'm all for asking the parents to leave, helping them make arrangements elsewhere and showing them the door if they are too inconsiderate to take it upon themselves to show themselves out. He says it's not the baby's fault. He would feel it necessary to give a refund to the departing parents. I asked if he would rather the kid cried all night and he had to refund everyone else for the misery? No refund for departing parents. The kid is your responsibility and along with that comes the breakage, the leaving early, the babysitters, whatever.
I said it's not like the kid was hungry and they fed it and it was quiet again. Anyone could wake up in the middle of the night and slam a door on their way to get a cup of tea, stomp down the stairs, etc. But, it's done and it's over. Crying children, screaming spouses, drunken brawls all have to be handled by the management and we're the management.
I brought up unruly kids in restaurants and the staff immobilised with fear of confronting the parents. Hello. I'M sitting there with 10 other couples doing my best to not get up and walk out. And next time it may just happen...unruly kids, no management interference? Then I'M the one walking with my money out the door. Let the parents and the kid have the place to themselves. It's obvious they already feel as if they are alone.
I get crotchetier the older I get. If I had to shush my kids, then by goodness others need to shush their kids as well. If you can't afford the babysitter, you probably can't afford the meal, either. So stay home and save up.
I am actually grateful that the first B & B we ever stopped at took the kids. It was summer and after dark so you can imagine what time it was. I saw the sign and said I want to stay there. How un-B & B could I get, huh? I knoecked on the door told the man that my husband & I had 4 kids and did he have availability for the night. He took us and I have been hooked on B & B ever since. I hate to think how I would be today had he sent us packing! I am thinking the youngest was about 6 or 8 on that trip.

Yes but some kids whine and cry all the time. The parents are immune to it, and others feel like razors running up and down their spines. I am such an overlystrict parent that most behaviors in public are under the microscope. We ate at some friends place (So I have no recourse to say anything, it was not our kid and not our place) and their daughter continually interrupted the adults, kicked her legs at the table the whole time and didn't eat a thing. Oh wait, yes she did, dessert. DUH.
If my kids did that - well let's just say they aren't given the oppty.

Yes but some kids whine and cry all the time. The parents are immune to it, and others feel like razors running up and down their spines. I am such an overlystrict parent that most behaviors in public are under the microscope. We ate at some friends place (So I have no recourse to say anything, it was not our kid and not our place) and their daughter continually interrupted the adults, kicked her legs at the table the whole time and didn't eat a thing. Oh wait, yes she did, dessert. DUH.
If my kids did that - well let's just say they aren't given the oppty..
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
If my kids did that - well let's just say they aren't given the oppty.
I'm the wicked guest...I have said, 'Honey, I'm talking, you need to wait your turn.' Or, I'll just shut up altogether and leave early. My tolerance for kids is very low. And kicking the table would get a comment as well. Maybe it's the age thing. I just don't care if I'm viewed as crotchety when I'm in a private situation.
I don't, however, argue with kids about food. It's a no win situation. Dessert is not food, tho, so, like you, my kids would not be eating dessert if they avoided the nutritional aspects of dinner. But, a lot of kids have trained their parents to not stand up in front of non family members. They get their way in public all the time.
A lot of times I'll just phrase it as, 'You are one lucky kid, at my house you would have been sent to your room an hour ago for your behavior.'

Kids don't belong in a bednbreakfast. If someone wants to force the issue, then they can if they choose, but they are not child environments, and in fact I would be offended to finally get away and find a bunch of kids staying in the room next to me.

B&Bs are not suitable environments for children, and vice versa. Families with young children belong in a hotel.

Our policy states that we take children 10 and over with very attentive parents. At times we do also take children under 10, it is to our discretion. It is the parents at fault when children continue to misbehave.
Just this last week, I took a reservation for a family of 5 - children 3, 22mths, & 3 mths. (Note they bring their own cribs or no stay). It was DEAD here and we had already planned to sleep in the only neighboring guest room to see about repairs, changes that needed to be done. This was a great time to really see what it is like when a family is just next door.
The house is so much quieter in the winter than in summer when the A/C is running much of the time. So this was a true test! Well I only heard a few slight sounds - not voices, cries but what must have been heavy movements. DH said he did hear the baby cry in the middle of the night, I on the other hand did not hear a thing. DH said he was already awake before the baby started to cry and it most likely would not have woken him. So, I guess our 'neighbor' test passed but I still plan to keep my policy the same.

I feel really bad for that poor kid-my son was a bed wetter till he was around 10-he could not help it and truthfully sometimes I didn't handle it correctly. If he's not speaking to you then he is totally embarassed and if he made the bed then he was trying to hide it so he would not be berated by a parent and if the parent doesnt acknowledge it to you then they will have to pay for the damage.
The thing is that being mad at the kid makes it worse because the kid cant help it, when I took my son anywhere other than home and even at home, I always tried to wake him up in the middle of the night or stop the liquids late at night, but sometimes it happened anyway.
You should charge for the damage cause the parents know and should have tried to take care of it the first night-hope they do. Its just that it makes me so sad for that poor kid-that will definantely scarr them for life.

Back