Need advice...bed wetter

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
Other than an electrified bed, that is...
This is the 3rd night with the bed wetter. The first morning was a complete surprise so the mattress is shot. The next morning we rigged up a plastic bag to stop the wet from getting thru to the mattress again. Today I put a plastic mattress cover on the bed. I have 4 more mornings of this. Do I approach the mother (again) and ask her to take care of things? As in buy the kid some waterproof underwear? (He's 11.)
What would you do?

Maybe K knows what HI would do. The parents definitely knows he wets the bed and should take precautions and at least warn you.
I had a bed wetting son, so know what you have to do as a parent.

Other than asking the Mother to please not give him liquids after 4pm, I think you have done everything you can do. The sad thing is that today there are products available to help mitigate the situation that were not available when I needed it for my problem kids - we traveled with rubber pads.

hmmm...Can you pull the mother aside & tell her that this is happening and btw here's where you can tet the underwear, disposal bed pads, etc.? Do you have anything in your policies about damages to guest linens?
Tough spot for you...I'd be mortified by this as a parent & would take action.

I WOULD CHARGE THEM!!!
I would talk to Mom in private and give her the bill. There are certain things you can let slide, but night after night, like she doesn't know he does this? Come on. CHARGE THEM.

hmmm...Can you pull the mother aside & tell her that this is happening and btw here's where you can tet the underwear, disposal bed pads, etc.? Do you have anything in your policies about damages to guest linens?
Tough spot for you...I'd be mortified by this as a parent & would take action..
yeah and by the way, here's where you can purchase my replacement mattress!

Mitigate - they are called PULL-UPS they come in all sizes for short fat and ugly kids! I can't take it. Charge them. Tell them she has to pay for this. Direct her to the nearest pharmacy to buy some pull ups for this kid!
Some kids there is nothing to cure it except aging out of it. The mother KNOWS this and needs to be RESPONSIBLE for her child's bed wetting.

I WOULD CHARGE THEM!!!
I would talk to Mom in private and give her the bill. There are certain things you can let slide, but night after night, like she doesn't know he does this? Come on. CHARGE THEM..
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
I WOULD CHARGE THEM!!!
I would talk to Mom in private and give her the bill. There are certain things you can let slide, but night after night, like she doesn't know he does this? Come on. CHARGE THEM.
I haven't seen mother in 2 days. I see the kids all the time, but no mom. I'm making it a point to look for her today. Just to make sure she is still here with them.

I WOULD CHARGE THEM!!!
I would talk to Mom in private and give her the bill. There are certain things you can let slide, but night after night, like she doesn't know he does this? Come on. CHARGE THEM..
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
I WOULD CHARGE THEM!!!
I haven't seen mother in 2 days. I see the kids all the time, but no mom. I'm making it a point to look for her today. Just to make sure she is still here with them.
Bree said:
What? Who has been watching the kids as they have been roaming around you home and property? How old are these kids? I have never had an experience like this and really do not have any other advise other than what you have heard here.
My policy reads something like 'well behaved children X years and older with very attentive parents'. After hearing all your current headaches, I may review my polices and may add more to my arrival form.
Bree, I am sorry about all your PITA guests. I think you have a PITA magnet attached to your B&B.

I WOULD CHARGE THEM!!!
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
I WOULD CHARGE THEM!!!
Bree said:
What? Who has been watching the kids as they have been roaming around you home and property? How old are these kids? I have never had an experience like this and really do not have any other advise other than what you have heard here.
My policy reads something like 'well behaved children X years and older with very attentive parents'. After hearing all your current headaches, I may review my polices and may add more to my arrival form.
Bree, I am sorry about all your PITA guests. I think you have a PITA magnet attached to your B&B.
There are other family members here. I just haven't seen HER. The kids come downstairs and leave with Grandpa & Grandma. When they come back, they go upstairs again.
Today there were 3 full boxes of pizza left in the room. And they are still right there. If they want to smell it, let them. They know where the trash is. And I don't throw away items that are not in the trash. (Now, if they attract bugs, that's another story.)
This is unusual for me to have this happen. We are not usually a PITA magnet. It's the 'summer' people. They are just different travelers from the rest of the year. Every summer I get some sort of headache from some guest...

I WOULD CHARGE THEM!!!
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
I WOULD CHARGE THEM!!!
Bree said:
There are other family members here. I just haven't seen HER. The kids come downstairs and leave with Grandpa & Grandma. When they come back, they go upstairs again.
Today there were 3 full boxes of pizza left in the room. And they are still right there. If they want to smell it, let them. They know where the trash is. And I don't throw away items that are not in the trash. (Now, if they attract bugs, that's another story.)
This is unusual for me to have this happen. We are not usually a PITA magnet. It's the 'summer' people. They are just different travelers from the rest of the year. Every summer I get some sort of headache from some guest...
What do you mean ....of course you are a PITA magnet!!!!
devil_smile.gif

You had better find that mother and quick. She needs to know how unhappy you are with this situation. What are you going to do about the mattress? Surely the smell will linger from the first accident. She needs to realize that her kid is ruining your property and that she is responsible. PUHLEASE.. don't go another night like this.
You must do something!!

This is exactly why DW and I have decided NOT to allow children. At least incontinent adults usually take care of the problem or stay home.
Are you not using a moisture-proof mattress protector? Yes, they're pricey, but a lot cheaper than a new mattress!

This is exactly why DW and I have decided NOT to allow children. At least incontinent adults usually take care of the problem or stay home.
Are you not using a moisture-proof mattress protector? Yes, they're pricey, but a lot cheaper than a new mattress!.
ProudTexan said:
Are you not using a moisture-proof mattress protector? Yes, they're pricey, but a lot cheaper than a new mattress!
In 4 years this is the first incident that destroyed a mattress. Next week all the beds will be encased in plastic. (As odd as it sounds, I don't have time to go out and shop for mattress protectors! I'll probably have to order them online.)
Usually the really thick mattress pad stops anything from getting to the mattress. I have to say that these mattresses have been on the beds since the inn opened and there's not a stain on them. The PO's didn't have plastic sheets to protect them. Up until this week, it's never been an issue, even with babies and toddlers.
This was my lesson learned. No discounts. Plastic sheets.

I tell ya, this just justifies our policy of not accepting children.

I tell ya, this just justifies our policy of not accepting children..
But you forget, some inns, as in Bree and Seashanty have no choice in the matter. They HAVE no choice under their State law they cannot refuse children.
I take kids and so far, so good, have never had a problem - and I hope it stays that way.

But you forget, some inns, as in Bree and Seashanty have no choice in the matter. They HAVE no choice under their State law they cannot refuse children.
I take kids and so far, so good, have never had a problem - and I hope it stays that way.
If you tell the guest who's calling that you don't accept children, they will just call somewhere else.
You think they are they are thinking of a state law? They just want to go on vacation!

Are you not using a moisture-proof mattress protector? Yes, they're pricey, but a lot cheaper than a new mattress!.
ProudTexan said:
In 4 years this is the first incident that destroyed a mattress. Next week all the beds will be encased in plastic. (As odd as it sounds, I don't have time to go out and shop for mattress protectors! I'll probably have to order them online.)
Usually the really thick mattress pad stops anything from getting to the mattress. I have to say that these mattresses have been on the beds since the inn opened and there's not a stain on them. The PO's didn't have plastic sheets to protect them. Up until this week, it's never been an issue, even with babies and toddlers.
This was my lesson learned. No discounts. Plastic sheets.
I looked online and found these waterproof mattress covers that seem well liked by reviewers They aren't quite the ones we have but they are close. The ones we have were pretty cheap (maybe $30) and they encase the entire mattress (both sides) in a thin tyvek -like matterial. The material is breathable and does not make noise or make you sweat. Then we put a regular (non-water proof) matress pad over the top. We've had them on there for a few years now and the seem to be holding up fine. I imagine the waterproofing effect might degrade over time in the dryer. But unless there is an accident, there is no need to wash them.

If you tell the guest who's calling that you don't accept children, they will just call somewhere else.
You think they are they are thinking of a state law? They just want to go on vacation!
I am sorry to have to correct you on this. It has been documented that there was a team of lawyers "working" the B & Bs in several States for being turned down on illegal things as in CHILDREN. They would file a lawsuit against the B & B that would be dropped with a "settlement".
IF Bree or SeaShanty were foolish enough to refuse to accept children, they would be served with lawsuit papers before they could hang up the phone!
You were a cop, you should know that whatever laws are passed are the laws that are to be enforced at all times. Not just the ones that fit what WE want when we want. If the law in your State said a bed & breakfast of your size could not refuse children, no matter what your preference was, you could not refuse to take them.

I am sorry to have to correct you on this. It has been documented that there was a team of lawyers "working" the B & Bs in several States for being turned down on illegal things as in CHILDREN. They would file a lawsuit against the B & B that would be dropped with a "settlement".
IF Bree or SeaShanty were foolish enough to refuse to accept children, they would be served with lawsuit papers before they could hang up the phone!
You were a cop, you should know that whatever laws are passed are the laws that are to be enforced at all times. Not just the ones that fit what WE want when we want. If the law in your State said a bed & breakfast of your size could not refuse children, no matter what your preference was, you could not refuse to take them.
No but that 50$ a night extra person charge will usually deter them! What, you charge for kids?
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif
You betcha!

No but that 50$ a night extra person charge will usually deter them! What, you charge for kids?
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif
You betcha!

No doubt, but you are not just saying - no kids in a State that says you WILL take kids if you are a certain number of rooms. There is nothing to say you cannot have an added charge per extra person and kids fit the legal definition of a person. As I am sure you know, we do not want newbies getting incorrect info.

Back