Need advice Christmas shopping for 10 yo girl please

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 26

Reaction score
my church has 'adopted' a large family for christmas. we don't know the family. the social service agency just gave us the wish list of all the members.
i checked off that i would provide some items for 10 year old Elizabeth.
she wants a justin bieber cd and poster ... check ... that was easy to find.
she needs underwear and socks
boots
i have the sizes
there are other items on her list (maybe the social worker or her mother put those items on the list. underwear?) i feel sad to give a child these things for christmas, but if she needs those things ... i will certainly get them. there are other clothing items on the list i said if no one checks them off, i will get them. she has such basic needs!!
so ... does anyone have or know a 10 year old girl? back in the day there were underoos ... is there such a thing as fashionable underthings for a little girl? or that i should avoid? socks? all it says are child size socks. we are in new england, so i am thinking heavy socks. i wonder, do they wear fashion tights?
i guess i thought i'd be looking for a barbie. this forces me to re-think things. i am reluctant to add such a thing but wonder ... if all that is on the list is purchased by self and others ... maybe i could ask the agency if there was something just for fun, just playful, that she'd really like. any advice would be appreciated.

Socks- don't get all 'warm & toasty & woolen' on the kid! My daughters wore tights in sub zero weather with patent leather shoes. (Hey, their toes, not mine!) So, if you have a Sox outlet nearby or Bass shoes, get her the 3/$10 fun socks with different colors, patterns, decorations on them.
No Barbies. If the kid's family is so broke she needs underwear for Christmas, there won't be money for outfits for Barbie. Get her something that doesn't require batteries, either. If she wants the CD & the poster and you've found that, good. How about something that doesn't require anything but brainpower- books (A Series of Unfortunate Events, The Chronicles of Narnia, puzzle or game books). Uno. My kids liked that game.
The Grinch side of me always comes out at this time of year when we try to make up for a lifetime of parental problems by heaping gifts on kids. Either our own, family or stranger's.
BTW, we all got underwear and socks for Christmas when we were kids. We all hated it and thought it was a ripoff. Why should this kid be any different?
wink_smile.gif

You can get funky underwear. Go for the low-rise bikini (low rise jeans these days dictate that aspect) or the hipsters. Either way, she won't be embarrased when she bends over. They have all sorts of funky colors and designs these days: Wizards of Waverly Place, butterflies, bright neon colors...it's not just white cotton any longer!
My 12 year old daughter loves to get scarves and gloves, matching, of course. How about a fun hair piece? Hair thingies these days are waaayyyy cooler than they were back when we wore that stuff.
I truly believe that getting the necessities is just as important as the frilly stuff...maybe more so when it comes to showing you care.

thanks for the pointers.
i don't feel 'grinchy' ... we never went nuts at christmas but i have always enjoyed getting the perfect gift for someone ... even if it was small ... my kids are adults now and 'don't need a thing' ........
it's been a while since i've bought anything for someone young.

Is this like Angel Tree? You are buying for a needy child and they put their desires (of course it is Christmas so they want Wii and other good stuff!) but obv have needs as well.
One suggestion is if this is something you want to do, something you will enjoy, then set your $ amount, buy a practical gift and a fun gift, or add in a $10 stuffmart gift card as well.
Example: Stuffmart cannot be beat for gift sets right now, they have a ton of gift sets with makeup, nail polishes, in little makeup cases, or hard sided cases, with bath stuff, etc etc and you cannot buy a single makeup item for the same price. Lipgloss sets with little stuffed animals attached etc, cookie making kits with cookie cutters and aprons attached, all of these are very reasonable at stuffmart. Scarves, hats, socks, go there and see what they have, buy older not younger. Think of this girl at 12 or 13 preteen, vs tween and you will find some cool things she will love!
Don't feel this is the ONLY gift she will receive this Christmas, either. Just buy what you want to buy for her, And lastly, have fun!

thanks !!
yes, it's like angel tree ... families in very difficult situations but we don't know the specifics except that they are local. with many of us in the church buying a few things, we can give help this family have a nice christmas, i hope.

thanks !!
yes, it's like angel tree ... families in very difficult situations but we don't know the specifics except that they are local. with many of us in the church buying a few things, we can give help this family have a nice christmas, i hope..
Check the dollar area at Target - they have cute flavored lip balms, hair thingies, holiday socks, ornaments with candy inside, that kind of stuff. I usually pick up a few to throw in a gift bag for my tween nieces - they like them.

thanks !!
yes, it's like angel tree ... families in very difficult situations but we don't know the specifics except that they are local. with many of us in the church buying a few things, we can give help this family have a nice christmas, i hope..
Check the dollar area at Target - they have cute flavored lip balms, hair thingies, holiday socks, ornaments with candy inside, that kind of stuff. I usually pick up a few to throw in a gift bag for my tween nieces - they like them.
I have a 10 year old and Barbie's are a bit young for a 10 year old these days. My daughter is really into American Girl, If you got her a Justin Bieber CD, maybe an inexpensive cd player. The stuffmart is a great idea, or maybe a Border's Bookstore gift certificate for her choice of music or books.

thanks !!
I have a 10 year old and Barbie's are a bit young for a 10 year old these days. My daughter is really into American Girl, If you got her a Justin Bieber CD, maybe an inexpensive cd player. The stuffmart is a great idea, or maybe a Border's Bookstore gift certificate for her choice of music or books.
domsmom said:
I agree about the American Girl stuff. It can be very expensive, but they do have a clearance category on their website. My daughter has found some pretty neat stuff on clearance...$3 for an American Girl daily planner, clothing for her doll. Stuff like that. I agree about the gift card to stuffmart, too. However, sometimes the gift cards to general merchadise stores don't get used on purchases that you would hope to see them used on.

thanks for the pointers.
i don't feel 'grinchy' ... we never went nuts at christmas but i have always enjoyed getting the perfect gift for someone ... even if it was small ... my kids are adults now and 'don't need a thing' ........
it's been a while since i've bought anything for someone young..
How about a kids cookbook and a frilly apron? With her own wodden spoons. That is going toward the being older and useful at the same time. We always got a book, a "family" game, clothes, etc (nothing big). One year when Mom was a Tupperware demonstrator, we got kid-size Tupperware dishes - like getting a tea set that I have gotten for each of my granddaughters. For years, I sent one of my nieces a teapot every year - there were some that were funky, some elegant, some themed like Snow White or Pooh....

thanks for the pointers.
it's been a while since i've bought anything for someone young..
How about a kids cookbook and a frilly apron? With her own wodden spoons. That is going toward the being older and useful at the same time. We always got a book, a "family" game, clothes, etc (nothing big). One year when Mom was a Tupperware demonstrator, we got kid-size Tupperware dishes - like getting a tea set that I have gotten for each of my granddaughters. For years, I sent one of my nieces a teapot every year - there were some that were funky, some elegant, some themed like Snow White or Pooh....
gillumhouse said:
How about a kids cookbook and a frilly apron? With her own wodden spoons. That is going toward the being older and useful at the same time.
Ooohhh... I like this idea. Useful and "for HER" all at the same time.
The book thing is a good idea, too. I think that at our local book store, if you tell them that you are buying a book as a gift for an Angel-Tree-esque reason, she gives a discount. Can't hurt to look into it.

Sorry to reply so late to this thread, but I would suggest a couple of activity/books from Klutz. One is on hair styles, and comes with accessories; another one is nails--comes with polishes and ideas for custom nail art. These were always VERY popular with that age set. Good Luck!

May I hijack? Please?
I ask each of you this question. When you were 10 years old what sort of gift did you want?
(Being reasonable, ie not a new bike or watch that was something uber expensive in those days, but say a gift from an aunt or uncle what would you ask for or like?)
I look forward to reading your fun answers and reminiscing.

May I hijack? Please?
I ask each of you this question. When you were 10 years old what sort of gift did you want?
(Being reasonable, ie not a new bike or watch that was something uber expensive in those days, but say a gift from an aunt or uncle what would you ask for or like?)
I look forward to reading your fun answers and reminiscing..
Joey Bloggs said:
May I hijack? Please?
I wanted a new purse. A grown-up purse. And a wallet. Something that made me feel more "adult" and less "child". I also would have LOVED books. Any kind of books. But my parents didn't have a lot of money and so buying something that could be rented free of charge (from the library) was secondary.
But, I think I wound up getting a new hand-crocheted shawl from my grandmother (who's now passed on ((and I still have the shawl)), and a hand-made doll (equal to the Cabbage Patch Kids dolls that were the craze but my parents couldn't afford one). I also still have the doll.

May I hijack? Please?
Joey Bloggs said:
If I can remember back that far- books. Puzzles. A watch- Cinderella. (Sorry, I know that one was a no no, but they are cheap today so it's a good idea for this girl.) And a diary. (Thx One Day, had forgotten that.)

May I hijack? Please?
Joey Bloggs said:
May I hijack? Please?
I wanted a new purse. A grown-up purse. And a wallet. Something that made me feel more "adult" and less "child". I also would have LOVED books. Any kind of books. But my parents didn't have a lot of money and so buying something that could be rented free of charge (from the library) was secondary.
But, I think I wound up getting a new hand-crocheted shawl from my grandmother (who's now passed on ((and I still have the shawl)), and a hand-made doll (equal to the Cabbage Patch Kids dolls that were the craze but my parents couldn't afford one). I also still have the doll.
I made my daughter one of those Cabbage Patch dolls, too. No way I was spending that kind of money or fighting for a toy.

The things you can buy today vs yesterday...bikes at walmart for $60 made in china today, when you really had to save up and beg for a Schwinn way back when...in fact you have to EARN IT! Remember paper routes?
A watch was something special, again made in china today they are a dime a dozen, but back then waiting for a special occasion to get a timex.
That is why I said those items as they were not something a stranger or relative would buy (thinking of SS orig question). I was just asking about smaller things you liked...stationary sets, neat pens, baseball cards, or even a polaroid camera! (Which you got then could never afford the film!) :)

OMG This reminds me of my all time favorite Christmas present! You could ask all my kids and they will tell you . (i just asked my DH and he knew) it was my Go Go boots! They made me feel cool ! ! ! (now the kids want to be hot)
wink_smile.gif

OMG This reminds me of my all time favorite Christmas present! You could ask all my kids and they will tell you . (i just asked my DH and he knew) it was my Go Go boots! They made me feel cool ! ! ! (now the kids want to be hot)
wink_smile.gif
MTLLodge said:
wink_smile.gif
Me too!

Back