need bed comfort suggestions!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 26

Reaction score
SOS SOS!!
i'm temporarily (i hope really temporarily) using an inflatable mattress/bed on the floor as my bed. it has a very slow leak somewhere so throughout the nite it loses air ... i pump it back up at nite. i got my feather bed out of storage and put that on top of the air mattress. it helps. but it's not very comfortable. and i wake with back aches and/or twinges. this morning, woke up before the alarm to get ready for work with the back of my neck complaining and it's still unhappy.
there's not a spare couch to use. it's a family crisis and i've given up my usual twin bed for an elder who should not be asked to get down on the air mattress on the floor.
any suggestions of how i can make it more comfortable? i have a couple sleeping bags in storage i can go dig out and retrieve and open up all the way and lay them out on top of the mattress. do you think that would help? (t's a drive and a hassle to get them out is why i'm asking before i go do) maybe if i put them between the air mattress and my feather bed?
please don't get me wrong. it's a temporary situation and appropriate that it's being handled this way, but i'm feeling cranky because i'm achy with aches that stay.

Gee, I wish I had an answer for you, better yet would that I was close enough to offer you a place to stay.
sad_smile.gif

I think the problem is that the bed is not giving you the support you need, and with it loosing air it is likely getting worse as the night goes on. The best thing I could tell you is to give up the air bed and take your feather bed & sleeping bags and hit the floor. The floor will give you better support and the sleeping bags and feather bed will give you some cushion to the hard surface.
Oh, add a tylenol and some MSN for your muscle aches.
wink_smile.gif

Go to the Dollar Store and get one or even 2 of those egg crate foams. They really are cheap and it will help between the air mattress and the featherbed - or just get a new air mattress! They are pretty cheap.

If you can't afford the new mattress, find the leak and patch it. (Listen for the air escaping, or spray with soapy water and look for bubbles.) Did your mattress come with a repair kit? Even some duct tape or packing tape would be better than nothing.
I would be the one on the air mattress, too, in that situation, so I really do understand. If you can't patch it or replace it, then it sounds like the piling up of sleeping bags and pillow tops is your only option. I find that even a pile of blankets makes a difference... Get every spare blanket in the house and fold them to make at least a double thickness, then add the sleeping bags, and your down topper... it really does make a difference.
Believe it or not, your body will eventually adjust to it and be less achy... but I don't envy you one bit... my knees alone would be protesting, let alone my back! I know someone who got used to sleeping on the floor (no mattress) and has done it for years now.
Good luck!!
=)
Kk.

hurray for kitties! the house cat came into the room early this morning and was sitting on the floor beside the mattress. moved around, exploring. sat, moved. sat ... at one place, i noticed his ear twitch and then twitch again and i wondered if .... could be a little sound or tiny breeze? i ran my fingers along the mattress seam near him and felt the tiniest coolness. so have patched it with a couple criss crosses of duct tape. hoping!
i did not realize a dollar store would carry egg crate mattresses? i called the nearest one and they said no, but maybe another one. would this be part of a particular chain of dollar stores?
thank you.

hurray for kitties! the house cat came into the room early this morning and was sitting on the floor beside the mattress. moved around, exploring. sat, moved. sat ... at one place, i noticed his ear twitch and then twitch again and i wondered if .... could be a little sound or tiny breeze? i ran my fingers along the mattress seam near him and felt the tiniest coolness. so have patched it with a couple criss crosses of duct tape. hoping!
i did not realize a dollar store would carry egg crate mattresses? i called the nearest one and they said no, but maybe another one. would this be part of a particular chain of dollar stores?
thank you..
We got a good deal at Sears for the memory pads to go under the mattress cover. That makes the beds really comfy. They may have sales going on near you. Or check Overstock.com as we've gotten them on sale from them with $1 for shipping.
RIki

thank you..
We have Family Dollar and Dollar General - they are not everything for a dollar stores. Try your building 19.

thank you..
Hopefully the patch works!
I tried to sleep on an air mattress at my brother's house. I laid down on it and it just sank to the floor. Very embarrassing!

Check the valves to see they are closed. Ours has a big one for blowing it up, and a small one. We didn't realize it had the small one, and that was why ours kept getting flat! Oh dopey us! Good Luck!

Back