Need breakfast suggestions that will feed ALL of these issues for 3 days

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
No wheat, no dairy, no sugar/carbs. (This is 4 different rooms here, overlapping, for 3 nights.)
Please don't tell me oatmeal or veggies. It's 90 degrees here in the kitchen and Gomez will not cook oatmeal or try to make veggies that everyone can eat. And he's going to be grumpy as can be if he has to make multiple separate breakfasts. Most of the guests are here for 5 days, but they only overlap for 3.

I would do a daily boo-fay and I would do an egg scramble, potatoes, breakfast meat (ham, bacon, sausage) lots of fresh fruit, yoghurts, and some bagels/cold cereal. Let em have at it!

I always thought Boofay was American for Continental breakfast.? though I have noticed some hotels seems to believe continental breakfast is best defined as a juice bar and doughnouts. (what happend to the moist black pumpernickel bread and the granola)

Apparently one of the rooms told a tale about their restrictions. So, we will be making what we want to make and they can make do.

Apparently one of the rooms told a tale about their restrictions. So, we will be making what we want to make and they can make do..
thumbs_up.gif

I always thought Boofay was American for Continental breakfast.? though I have noticed some hotels seems to believe continental breakfast is best defined as a juice bar and doughnouts. (what happend to the moist black pumpernickel bread and the granola).
Definition according to Mr Breakfast dot com (including bad grammer and spelling):
"Continental Breakfast
A light breakfast that may include a selection of coffees, teas, juices,fruits, toast, breakfast cereals and assorted pastries. The presence of meat is a primary distinguishing factor between a "regular" breakfast and a continental one. A continental breakfast will never includes meat.
However, labling a breakfast as a continetal breakfast is a choice not a definition. A breakfast of waffles would not commonly be considered a continental breakfast. Whereas a breakfast of mini-, appetizer-sized waffles might well be considered continental.
The only true definitions of "continental breakfast" are incredibly broad in scope: 1) any breakfast labled a continetal breakfast; and 2) any breakfast relating to characteristics of a continent."

Apparently one of the rooms told a tale about their restrictions. So, we will be making what we want to make and they can make do..
That was always going to be my solution
regular_smile.gif
You are not a restaurant, neither of you is a short order cook.
Keep some of the regular flavored instant oatmeal available, it has no sugar and you don't have to cook it. We serve the packets of oatmeal (we also offer the flavored versions) in a pretty basket and give the "Special Needs" person their own little place setting with bowl/plate and a small carafe of hot water and another small pitcher of milk if they need it. Looks pretty, they feel fussed over, and it's not much extra work.

YOU ARE NOT A RESTAURANT..NOR SHORT ORDER COOKS...give them what you can or set out a buffet type and let them go on their own. Too bad...

regular_smile.gif
Keep some of the regular flavored instant oatmeal available, it has no sugar and you don't have to cook it. We serve the packets of oatmeal (we also offer the flavored versions) in a pretty basket and give the "Special Needs" person their own little place setting with bowl/plate and a small carafe of hot water and another small pitcher of milk if they need it. Looks pretty, they feel fussed over, and it's not much extra work.
OK, you know me, I have an argument for everything.
embaressed_smile.gif
We have done the 'continental' before when we had a big crowd here for the same purpose, but not every room in the group. Those guests who paid for a full, sit down breakfast felt cheated and they complained. (Oh boy did they complain.)
So, as it stands, wheat-free ate at another forum member's B&B on Sunday morning and had french toast. So, wheat-free is SOL here. Dairy-free turns out just cannot drink milk or have a hunk of cheese, so pancakes and the like will work there. Even an omelet without the cheese is ok.

regular_smile.gif
embaressed_smile.gif
We have done the 'continental' before when we had a big crowd here for the same purpose, but not every room in the group. Those guests who paid for a full, sit down breakfast felt cheated and they complained. (Oh boy did they complain.)
So, as it stands, wheat-free ate at another forum member's B&B on Sunday morning and had french toast. So, wheat-free is SOL here. Dairy-free turns out just cannot drink milk or have a hunk of cheese, so pancakes and the like will work there. Even an omelet without the cheese is ok.
Morticia said:
So, wheat-free is SOL here.
And THIS is why I LOVE YOU!!!!!!
But I wasn't suggesting continental, I would just do your normal brekky for everyone else and offer oatmeal or eggs to no wheat/no dairy.
I am now in the boat with you. 13 people tomorrow, one low fat, one no pork, one no nuts. So I have no clue what I am preparing for main dish or baked good.

Let's face the facts people...if someone asked me, I would be tempted to share my likes and dislikes or what is GOOD FOR ME, WHAT I SHOULD BE EATING vs a big ol' slab of bacon and eggs!
I abide by the "don't ask don't tell" theory of innkeeping. in all areas, which includes breakfast!
Allergies or restrictions I can abide, likes and dislikes, I mean come on! We all have likes and dislikes! Remember my motto "If you don;t like it or can't eat it, just leave it on the plate, it won't hurt my feelings at all!"

regular_smile.gif
embaressed_smile.gif
Morticia said:
So, wheat-free is SOL here.
And THIS is why I LOVE YOU!!!!!!
But I wasn't suggesting continental, I would just do your normal brekky for everyone else and offer oatmeal or eggs to no wheat/no dairy.
I am now in the boat with you. 13 people tomorrow, one low fat, one no pork, one no nuts. So I have no clue what I am preparing for main dish or baked good.
Sorry, missed that. I think I was responding to CL and hit your post instead.

I like meat... I would hate to eat very healthy salads all life - then get hit by a city bus and lay there knowing I could have had a medium rare filet for dinner and still be here.
Bo

BTW, the person we catered to all week never thanked the cook for going out of his way. No tip for the housekeeper and the room was strewn with junk when they left.
And today we had a guest who asked for eggs as the french toast was not something she could eat and then did not touch the eggs at all. Didn't even shove them around on the plate. So, I left them in front of her even tho it was obvious they were both done.
Poor Gomez...he hissed at me, 'Not tomorrow. There is no way I am cooking anthing special for her tomorrow.'
Another guest asked for the same thing and said, 'Beautiful! Just what I wanted!'

BTW, the person we catered to all week never thanked the cook for going out of his way. No tip for the housekeeper and the room was strewn with junk when they left.
And today we had a guest who asked for eggs as the french toast was not something she could eat and then did not touch the eggs at all. Didn't even shove them around on the plate. So, I left them in front of her even tho it was obvious they were both done.
Poor Gomez...he hissed at me, 'Not tomorrow. There is no way I am cooking anthing special for her tomorrow.'
Another guest asked for the same thing and said, 'Beautiful! Just what I wanted!'.
Maybe it is time for a sign - Breakfast tomorrow will be ..... Anything else - W affle H ouse is 2 blocks down on the left.
teeth_smile.gif

I'm tired of the me, me, me......it's all about me attitude that is so common today.
I feel sorry for the folks that encounter their kids later in life

I'm tired of the me, me, me......it's all about me attitude that is so common today.
I feel sorry for the folks that encounter their kids later in life.
One Day said:
Ditto! DH says he wants to buy a T-shirt that say's "excuse ME, there ARE other people on this planet" And this always makes me think of Toby Keith's song www.youtube.com/watch -

I had a funny thing this morning, you know those mulberry trees I am always fussing about, well we picked and froze a few freezer bagfulls of them. Today I put them on some nice parfaits with chopped walnuts and muesli, they are really really great for parfaits, now I know and will pick extra next year!
Anywho...one guest came to the table and said "Oh no, are those raisins!?" I laughed and said no, they're berries, mulberries! She said "I better go get my glasses on."

regular_smile.gif
Rupert said:
regular_smile.gif
That's exactly right! Just as we are not a hotel, neither are we a restaurant. Breakfast is COMPLIMENTARY! Obviously, we all try to be accomodating, but at some point you need to direct them to the local Dennys.

Tomorrow is an 'egg' day. We'll see what happens. We had a big argument here about it because apparently I wasn't clear about what KIND of eggs she was getting. I asked Gomez exactly how many kinds of eggs he was prepared to make in the crush of the morning with kids jumping and running and crying and all. He didn't have any 'filler' for omelets and he doesn't 'do' over easy or poached, so it was pretty much scrambled and be done. Now I guess I could have said they were scrambled and she could have said, 'No thanks,' but I was BUSY trying to seat and serve four tables and I didn't particularly care to WAIT on this particular table.
He's in his little 'cone of silence' in the kitchen and doesn't hear the comments or see the rolled eyes I put up with. Good golly there are days when I'd like to slap some people upside the head and ask, 'Just how hard is it to decide if you want a damned sausage or not?' I cannot imagine a waitress with these people at her table in packed restaurant.
Anyway, thanks for letting me vent. No need to tell me I bring half of it on myself by even ASKING and not just slapping it down on the table in front of them.
There were a couple of people who 'hesitated' today when I mentioned the breakfast so I flat out said, 'Will you be joining us for breakfast tomorrow?;' and amazingly I was told, 'Probably not.' Well, goody. Two fewer prima donnas.
Can you tell it's been 5 weeks since I've had a day off and it's 4 more before I have the chance?

Back