Need fast, big breakfast ideas

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
This is FABULOUS. You can use bread or what I do is to take croissants and tear them apart. If you use croissants, cut back on the amount of milk by about 1/2 cup because they don't soak up quite as much liquid.
Overnight Blueberry French Toast
1 (14‑ounce) loaf french bread 1 package light cream cheese cut in pieces
2 cups blueberries 12 large eggs
2 cups milk 1/3 cup real maple syrup
1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon Pam ‑‑ for coating pan
TOPPING:
1/2 cup butter (melted)
1/2 cup brown sugar
1 cup chopped pecans
Spray a 13x9‑inch glass baking pan generously with Pam. Cut bread into one‑inch cubes; place half into prepared pan. Evenly distribute cream cheese pieces over bread; cover with ½ of blueberries. Place remaining bread cubes on top. Sprinkle with remaining blueberries. In a large bowl, beat together eggs, milk, syrup and cinnamon; pour over bread cubes. Cover with foil and refrigerate overnight. In the morning, preheat oven to 350F degrees. Melt butter and mix with brown sugar. Sprinkle pecans on top of french toast, then drizzle butter/brown sugar mixture over top. Bake for 45-50 minutes. Serve with maple syrup.
Blueberry%20Croissant%20French%20Toast.JPG

One that works real well for a group is on the recipe list here - Waffle Apple Crisp
It is not really sweet, more eggy really, I serve with a sausage patty and biscuits and a fruit starter. If you want even less sweet, use less Brown sugar in the topping. Hardy breakfast.
Note: I also add more cinnamon and nutmeg to the pie filling as the canned ones don't usually have that much flavor. (or make your own if you have time) This dish is easy to prep the night before and pop in the oven in the morning.

Thanks! These all look good. Gotta show the cook and let him decide.

Savoury dish... stratta
Sweet dish... baked French toast (blueberry)
Mixed... make blintzes ahead of time and heat them in the over... bake and serve. Half cheese and half fruit (berry of choice or apples)..
Our success with blintzes or ployes is nil. It's something that needs practice but we've only got tomorrow so not this time. Do you have a recipe for the baked blueberry FT? I've got one floating around but glad to look at another one.
I think we're going (so far) with a quiche (known this week as 'oven fritatta'), the Dutch babies (new name needed) and something else. I really need to know if the guests would prefer sweet or savory but we may not know until they arrive.
Madeleine said:
...the Dutch babies (new name needed)
Call them Puffins (ie pancake muffins) or Pop-up Pancakes. To make them a little more substantial, fill the bowls (just before serving) with a dollop of pastry cream or vanilla pudding or greek yogurt and top with fresh or cooked fruit.

Savoury dish... stratta
Sweet dish... baked French toast (blueberry)
Mixed... make blintzes ahead of time and heat them in the over... bake and serve. Half cheese and half fruit (berry of choice or apples)..
Our success with blintzes or ployes is nil. It's something that needs practice but we've only got tomorrow so not this time. Do you have a recipe for the baked blueberry FT? I've got one floating around but glad to look at another one.
I think we're going (so far) with a quiche (known this week as 'oven fritatta'), the Dutch babies (new name needed) and something else. I really need to know if the guests would prefer sweet or savory but we may not know until they arrive.
Madeleine said:
...the Dutch babies (new name needed)
Call them Puffins (ie pancake muffins) or Pop-up Pancakes. To make them a little more substantial, fill the bowls (just before serving) with a dollop of pastry cream or vanilla pudding or greek yogurt and top with fresh or cooked fruit.
Well, puffins would be perfect here! I have pix of puffins in the dining room. Hope that isn't confusing given there's a language difference.

Here is a blueberry for you, I haven't made this in a long time, from all recipes. Very very close to the one I used to make all the time. Add a little lemon juice or Zest it really makes the blueberry pop.
http://allrecipes.com/recipe/overnight-blueberry-french-toast/
I think we are likely all working from the same basic recipe through all it's tweaks. :)
I use so much damn lemon zest in the house that I make lemon curd just to have something to do with all the lemon juice.
Which reminds me.. I gotta get some limes, I haven't done the coconut lime syrup in a while!

Back