Need fast, big breakfast ideas

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madeleine

Reaction score
Later this month we have a group coming in. Usually that would mean a buffet but they are not the only guests here. I need some ideas for breakfasts that can be made ahead, cooked and served. We will not be able to 'cook to order' as we usually do because there will be 12 of them and that's my seating capacity. They have to be in and out, no waiting 30 minutes for something to be cooked for them.
So, throw some ideas at me.

Baked pineapple toast can be baked in 9x13 pans or bigger if you have one and it will fit in the oven. Can you get 2 in the oven at one time? I do them as "sticks" (1/2 slices) - easier to serve and less waste.

Customizable-Bread-Bowl-Breakfast-410x273.jpg

Here is another one for a crowd, prep the bread bowls the night before, chop and bag herbs or veggies and pre cook the bacon or dice the ham. Assemble in the morning, and bake at 350 for 30 min.

Dutch Babies, I sent it to Eric the other day when he was hunting for something different. You can do them in muffin tins and add seasonal fruit or lemon curd with berries, some oven roasted potatoes, a fresh Mandarin and baby greens fruited salad with honey lime yogurt dressing and you are set! No standing over a hot stove. 40 mins in the oven and you are serving.
Edited to add link and pic.
http://dinogrrl.com/cooking/2009/06/baby-dutch-baby-pancakes/
200906071747.jpg

original.jpg

http://lifehacker.com/5911708/make-mini-dutch-baby-pancakes-in-a-muffin-tin

Quiche or baked stratas always work for me, or an overnight baked French toast.

How many nights will they be there? Are you aiming for sweet or savory?

Quiche or baked stratas always work for me, or an overnight baked French toast..
Country Girl said:
Quiche or baked stratas always work for me, or an overnight baked French toast.
What have you got for a baked french toast? We haven't done anything in the oven in quite awhile. This is an odd group because there are so many of them and they are filling every bed in the rooms. So, few rooms but lots of guests.

Here is another one for a crowd, prep the bread bowls the night before, chop and bag herbs or veggies and pre cook the bacon or dice the ham. Assemble in the morning, and bake at 350 for 30 min..
What kind of bread is that? How big? Would one of them be a serving? See, I'm seeing that on a big empty plate and wondering what else would go with it as everything (eggs, meat, bread, veggies) is already in the entree.

Savoury dish... stratta
Sweet dish... baked French toast (blueberry)
Mixed... make blintzes ahead of time and heat them in the over... bake and serve. Half cheese and half fruit (berry of choice or apples).

Dutch Babies, I sent it to Eric the other day when he was hunting for something different. You can do them in muffin tins and add seasonal fruit or lemon curd with berries, some oven roasted potatoes, a fresh Mandarin and baby greens fruited salad with honey lime yogurt dressing and you are set! No standing over a hot stove. 40 mins in the oven and you are serving.
200906071747.jpg

original.jpg

http://lifehacker.com/5911708/make-mini-dutch-baby-pancakes-in-a-muffin-tin.
OK, this one got a
thumbs_up.gif
from DH.

Savoury dish... stratta
Mixed... make blintzes ahead of time and heat them in the over... bake and serve. Half cheese and half fruit (berry of choice or apples)..
Our success with blintzes or ployes is nil. It's something that needs practice but we've only got tomorrow so not this time. Do you have a recipe for the baked blueberry FT? I've got one floating around but glad to look at another one.
I think we're going (so far) with a quiche (known this week as 'oven fritatta'), the Dutch babies (new name needed) and something else. I really need to know if the guests would prefer sweet or savory but we may not know until they arrive.

Here is another one for a crowd, prep the bread bowls the night before, chop and bag herbs or veggies and pre cook the bacon or dice the ham. Assemble in the morning, and bake at 350 for 30 min..
What kind of bread is that? How big? Would one of them be a serving? See, I'm seeing that on a big empty plate and wondering what else would go with it as everything (eggs, meat, bread, veggies) is already in the entree.
Madeleine said:
They are little boule about 5 - 6" yes one is a serving, you can do a large fruit garnish if you do something like a smoothie for your first course, or you could do a pommes anna mini stack, if you square the potatoes first you can offset the roundness of the bread bowl with the square potatoes, or maybe a small baby greens salad with a raspberry vinegrette. Any hearty bread will do, sourdough is my favorite because it is a good open crumb bread but not too doughy so it holds up well.
Think of it as a quiche or an egg bake serve what you might as a side for those. You can even make it a quiche, serve with a fresh salad and you are good to go.
How about this one
IMG_8899.jpg

http://www.phemomenon.com/vanilla-french-toas/
there is another sweet one for you, this is really good and the top is a little crunchy so it isn't just gooey french toast. You could even do in individual ramakins if you wanted to get really fancy dancy.

Savoury dish... stratta
Mixed... make blintzes ahead of time and heat them in the over... bake and serve. Half cheese and half fruit (berry of choice or apples)..
Our success with blintzes or ployes is nil. It's something that needs practice but we've only got tomorrow so not this time. Do you have a recipe for the baked blueberry FT? I've got one floating around but glad to look at another one.
I think we're going (so far) with a quiche (known this week as 'oven fritatta'), the Dutch babies (new name needed) and something else. I really need to know if the guests would prefer sweet or savory but we may not know until they arrive.
How about Popover Pancakes - they are also sometimes called German Pancakes, but most common is Dutch Baby.
I am organizing recipes tonight while my mind is whirling on a possible new property that got tossed in my face yesterday, so to say the least I am avoiding real work!!! lemme know if there is something else (specific ingredient you want to use) I am sure I got one here somewhere. Any excuse not to crunch numbers tonight!!!

200906071747.jpg

original.jpg

http://lifehacker.com/5911708/make-mini-dutch-baby-pancakes-in-a-muffin-tin.
OK, this one got a
thumbs_up.gif
from DH.
Dutch babies were a big hit here and people always thought that they were fancier and more work than they actually were.
I wasn't a big fan of the overnight dishes but I did a peach french toast that one big group loved - you could substitute your state signature fruit.
Frittatas serve a lot of people and were also really popular with our guests.
Best of luck with the big group!!

Savoury dish... stratta
I usually use a 9x13" dish and whatever bread I have around. Spray the pan and then line the bottom with bread, cut pieces as need be to make a single layer on the bottom. Put a layer of berries (raspberries or blueberries usually, frozen are fine) and then put another layer of bread... except spread cream cheese on the bread (you can warm it in the microwave to make it spread easier. About 8oz.
The liquid part is this... 1.5c milk or cream, 1c sour cream or plain yogurt, about 8 to 10 eggs. And a tablespoon of maple extract or vanilla extract. If you are using raspberries you can also grate some lemon zest. If you like you can add 2 tsp of cinnamon. And finally either 2Tbsp maple syrup or 2Tbsp brown sugar. Pour liquid over bread, soak in fridge overnight.
If you want to sweaten it up and not add expense, make some brown sugar (1/2c), soft butter (1/4 cup) and some chopped nuts and put on top before you bake. Bake for 50 minute to an hour. It will puff up some. Cut into as many pieces as needed.
If you really want everyone to love you, use the sour cream (not fat free!) or switch 1/2c of milk for 1/2c 35% cream.
When you are ready for blintzes, tell me. My recipe is a heck of a lot thinner than most, but once the stove is hot enough they come out fine and can be stacked on parchement or wax paper to be used at other times. You do need a crepe pan, though. About $10 to $15. Once you start with a crepe pan, you won't go back to frying pans for omelets either.

I would do two fritattas (6 servings each) for one of the savoury dishes. For the other, individual serving ramekins (crack an extra large egg over layers of sliced tomato and creamy spinach, top with a drizzle of cream and grated cheddar). Only works, of course, if you have individual ramekins.
If not, there's an overnight scrambled egg recipe on here. I've done something similar except I scramble the eggs in the morning before breakfast; and I use a light hand with the sour cream but fold in some sauteed spinach and cubed cheddar or other cheese. Cover loosely and bake until heated through. Top with roasted or fresh diced grape tomatoes.
For sweet, I'd do a bread pudding (aka baked french toast) for one. A bread with a coarse crumb and big airy interior works best for me. Those air holes hold the custard! A fine-crumbed bread makes for a dense dish. Another option is baked stuffed french toast. Make sandwiches with cream cheese and jam the night before. Next morning, dip in batter, lay on greased or parchment-lined cookie sheets (can be close but not touching) and bake for about 15 minutes then flip and bake another 10. I like to brush both sides with melted butter when doing the flip.
For the other, I'd also do dutch babies made in 9" cast iron skillets (or pie plates) and cut in wedges or dutch baby bowls made in indi ramekins. OR I'd do crepes filled with a ricotta-pastry cream blend, baked to heat through and topped with a berry sauce.

Back