Need help deciphering a date

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alibi Ike

Reaction score
Guest has emailed 3x telling me the dates she wants: 3.07.11 to 5.07.11, staying for 2 nights. I reply back, turning the dates around to July 3 and 4, leaving on July 5. For some reason we are not connecting on the dates. So, this time I emailed back '3 July and 4 July, leaving on 5 July.'
For those of you who write your dates with the day first and then the month am I missing something?

She is European right or South American? Try 3rd of July to 5th of July. That is the way we would do it in Brazil and we write day, month, year.

Since March and the booking is for 2011 and not 2012, has already past I would "presume" it would July but you did the right thing writing back to confirm, us South Africans also write dates in that format.
Another thing that always helps is to reconfirm the day ie Sunday 3rd July 2011 departing Tuesday 5th July 2011

Could be military as well. I have a friend who does that all the time when he sends me updates for his web site. I just change them around
July 3-4: Depart July 5 sounds good to me. Hopefully you finally made the right connection.

Generally speak in most countries except the US, it is day then month. As in 3 July 2011 to 5 July 2011. (So you don't need commas.)
In French you sometimes write it in reverse.... yyyy.mm.dd but day is always to the right or the left, never in the middle.

Could be military as well. I have a friend who does that all the time when he sends me updates for his web site. I just change them around
July 3-4: Depart July 5 sounds good to me. Hopefully you finally made the right connection..
Not so far. I've tried emailing back 3x now with the dates and how to make a reservation herself (because I don't want to choose the wrong dates because she's insisting that it's 3.07.11 to 5.07.11 and it's 2 nights and when I write it any differently than that she says I've got the wrong dates).
I really think she could make a little effort to understand what I'm writing when I've certainly reiterated it to her both MY way and HER way.

July 3-4: Depart July 5 sounds good to me. Hopefully you finally made the right connection..
Not so far. I've tried emailing back 3x now with the dates and how to make a reservation herself (because I don't want to choose the wrong dates because she's insisting that it's 3.07.11 to 5.07.11 and it's 2 nights and when I write it any differently than that she says I've got the wrong dates).
I really think she could make a little effort to understand what I'm writing when I've certainly reiterated it to her both MY way and HER way.
What country?

What country?
One of those 'crazy' places where they speak one language and conduct all other 'language' business in either French or German. So, not knowing which language they write, I'm stuck writing in English, which they seem to be able to do sort of.
I'll have to wait until tomorrow for the next installment of 'making a holiday reservation' as they only respond 1/day.

What country?
One of those 'crazy' places where they speak one language and conduct all other 'language' business in either French or German. So, not knowing which language they write, I'm stuck writing in English, which they seem to be able to do sort of.
I'll have to wait until tomorrow for the next installment of 'making a holiday reservation' as they only respond 1/day.
Germans generally notate as dd.mm.yyyy but the official is now yyyy-mm-dd but the extended format is d. monthname yyyy.

You could print out July and mark x's on the days and send her the photo. I know it is extreme but ? Or do it in three languages as google translate work pretty well if you keep the sentence structure really simple.
The one a day email is also just a bit annoying hahaha.

Why use numbers? Just spell out the month, that should clear it up ....

I understand it is confusing for those of you who don't use the same date format as people educated in Europe or even American military.
can you email and spell it all out in full?

I understand it is confusing for those of you who don't use the same date format as people educated in Europe or even American military.
can you email and spell it all out in full?.
bnbtraveler said:
can you email and spell it all out in full?
I'm pretty sure I covered every possible variation, including writing it back EXACTLY as it was in the email to me but I still got back that the booking was for 2 nights. Not sure what else I could have done, but I think I'm out of the running now. No email back today.

Well, we skipped a couple of days, but we're back on track with emails...and a reservation, complete with info required.

Back