Need help making a map

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madeleine

Reaction score
I am trying to make a map for a guest. (Of course, I will give it to any guest who asks for it, but starting with this one person.) Anyhoo... I started with Google because I have maps out there already. Not maps I like because of a lot of different problems with the maps, but there you go- it's free.
So, what I want to do is a loop. Start here, end here. I got one made up on Google, all different pins at the different highlights, saved it and went to print it. It wants to print on 2 sheets. (I can do front and back, but I would prefer I didn't have to flip the paper over to see the text/map.)
I gave up on getting it to size and just printed it. Each highlight on the map on the computer had a different pin (color coded to the text). When it printed every blasted pin on the map was red and NOT the color of the corresponding highlight (which is now on the reverse side of the paper anyway).
Arrrrrrrrrrrgh. Help, please.
Any free map program will do. I tried drawing a line on the Google map using the damned line-drawing tool and I got nothing.
Question- do you think the issue is related to Google or Firefox? ie- if I did the map in Chrome it would be fine? Or the same hot mess it is now?

I would also like to hear of anyone who uses a map program other than putting pins on a Google Map, thank you.

Can you just set up the map with the pins in the locations you want. Then do a PRINT SCREEN / Screen Capture and then paste into GIMP or whatever and resize it there to print on one page.

Can you just set up the map with the pins in the locations you want. Then do a PRINT SCREEN / Screen Capture and then paste into GIMP or whatever and resize it there to print on one page..
THANK YOU!!!
Took the original map, cropped it in PrintKey, labeled it in Gimp and it's good to go! AND, small enough now that I can print 4 to a sheet because the directions are ON the map, not separate!

Madeleine said:
Question- do you think the issue is related to Google or Firefox?
I'd say the issue is you spending too much of your valuable time bending over backward to make things perfect for one guest, but I'd be doing the same as you are, so will keep my mouth shut!

Madeleine said:
I'd say the issue is you spending too much of your valuable time bending over backward to make things perfect for one guest, but I'd be doing the same as you are, so will keep my mouth shut!.
Arkansawyer said:
Madeleine said:
I'd say the issue is you spending too much of your valuable time bending over backward to make things perfect for one guest, but I'd be doing the same as you are, so will keep my mouth shut!
Only if I can learn something useful in the bargain. This is a pretty standard question I get asked, so it's not just for this one guest who is already gone home!

I have Anquet maps, it's not free, in fact not cheap. It's intended for walkers so you can mark out routes and then download to gps devices.
However it is great for mapping, it has the ability to draw routes and it's very easy to print and size pages, all to Ordnance Survey quality (that's the UK official mapping system).

I would also like to hear of anyone who uses a map program other than putting pins on a Google Map, thank you..
http://www.ontariouncorked.com/tour-planner/Ontario-Wine-Tour
I do not know how they do this, but it is slick.
BBBBob

I would also like to hear of anyone who uses a map program other than putting pins on a Google Map, thank you..
http://www.ontariouncorked.com/tour-planner/Ontario-Wine-Tour
I do not know how they do this, but it is slick.
BBBBob
Happy Thanksgiving Bob!
The smell of the turkey is wafting throught the house!
regular_smile.gif

If you have a MAC computer you can take a screen shot of the page, paste it into a WORD document and resize it to fill the page. Here's how:
With the mouse, place the cursor in the upper left corner of the map, hold down "command and shift together, hit #4 key(this will activate the cross-hairs on the cursor) and then hold the mouse down and highlight the map by drawing the cursor along the diagonal of the map. Let up on the mouse and VOILA, you will see a screen shot of the map on the desktop. You can resize the image the same way you would resize a picture.

If you have a MAC computer you can take a screen shot of the page, paste it into a WORD document and resize it to fill the page. Here's how:
With the mouse, place the cursor in the upper left corner of the map, hold down "command and shift together, hit #4 key(this will activate the cross-hairs on the cursor) and then hold the mouse down and highlight the map by drawing the cursor along the diagonal of the map. Let up on the mouse and VOILA, you will see a screen shot of the map on the desktop. You can resize the image the same way you would resize a picture..
You don't have to have a Mac to do that. You can do it with PC as well :) Just a hit PrtScr key and then paste into WORD or a graphics program.

With the mouse, place the cursor in the upper left corner of the map, hold down "command and shift together, hit #4 key(this will activate the cross-hairs on the cursor) and then hold the mouse down and highlight the map by drawing the cursor along the diagonal of the map. Let up on the mouse and VOILA, you will see a screen shot of the map on the desktop. You can resize the image the same way you would resize a picture..
You don't have to have a Mac to do that. You can do it with PC as well :) Just a hit PrtScr key and then paste into WORD or a graphics program.
EmptyNest said:
Yes, printscreen from any computer, it is on every keyboard. Also there are programs that select parts of the screen and make it a jpg or whatever file type you wish, I have been using that a lot lately. (As mentioned to use a copy of a website instead of an image so I won;t get into trouble).
But the thing is we want a customizable map, not just one we find and copy, we can copy anything. Have "right mouse click will copy" and it needs to be simple. Simple LOOKING so the point is made for those looking at it. I made one in google maps for antique stores, but I would like a simpler custom map.

EmptyNest said:
Yes, printscreen from any computer, it is on every keyboard. Also there are programs that select parts of the screen and make it a jpg or whatever file type you wish, I have been using that a lot lately. (As mentioned to use a copy of a website instead of an image so I won;t get into trouble).
But the thing is we want a customizable map, not just one we find and copy, we can copy anything. Have "right mouse click will copy" and it needs to be simple. Simple LOOKING so the point is made for those looking at it. I made one in google maps for antique stores, but I would like a simpler custom map.
Like the Windows 7 Snipping tool?
You can add all kinds of icons and personalize a google map. Like these... http://mapicons.nicolasmollet.com/
You can put in numbers, for example. :)

EmptyNest said:
You can add all kinds of icons and personalize a google map. Like these... http://mapicons.nicolasmollet.com/
Eric Arthur Blair said:
VERY NICE! Thanks E.
And if we use it we can donate to it, that is what I like to do! Here is the About: http://mapicons.nicolasmollet.com/about/about-project/

EmptyNest said:
Eric Arthur Blair said:
VERY NICE! Thanks E.
And if we use it we can donate to it, that is what I like to do! Here is the About: http://mapicons.nicolasmollet.com/about/about-project/
You could make a map like this... http://goo.gl/maps/6m9g or like this... http://goo.gl/maps/RX5X2

EmptyNest said:
I have all of those icons already. hmmm I wondered what that snipping tool was. I just took it off my start menu
devil_smile.gif

OK, I admit I am illiterate in PC-speak (and actions - mainframe is a different animal, and THAT is eons ago). What is Snipping Tool and where is it? I have Windows 7.

OK, I admit I am illiterate in PC-speak (and actions - mainframe is a different animal, and THAT is eons ago). What is Snipping Tool and where is it? I have Windows 7..
Click on the "start" button and type in snipping tool and it will appear on the list. Otherwise, it's in All Programs, Accessories, Snipping Tool. It lets you capture screens or just windows or part of the screen.

OK, I admit I am illiterate in PC-speak (and actions - mainframe is a different animal, and THAT is eons ago). What is Snipping Tool and where is it? I have Windows 7..
Click on the "start" button and type in snipping tool and it will appear on the list. Otherwise, it's in All Programs, Accessories, Snipping Tool. It lets you capture screens or just windows or part of the screen.
Thank you.

Back