Need help on deciding to switch to liquid soap dispensers in shower

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
People will still use their own.
I do not like to use communal items myself. Like we do not want to "think" about the person or persons who had our bed the night before? As an innkeeper I stay far away from ever saying something like "What a coincidence, the couple who had this room last night/this morning were from your city!"
I hired a cleaner briefly who is no longer with us. First thing I would do is put my hand on the bath area where the soap goes to see if she had cleaned the shower/bath. There was residue each and every time.
I know many use dispensers and I have seen nice ones, they aren't all camp ground shower types. I think the neat little soaps makes the BnB experience special. I know that is an odd statement, but it is true for me. Make sure you have room in the showers for them too. No one wants to slam their arm into them while scrubbing.

People will still use their own.
I do not like to use communal items myself. Like we do not want to "think" about the person or persons who had our bed the night before? As an innkeeper I stay far away from ever saying something like "What a coincidence, the couple who had this room last night/this morning were from your city!"
I hired a cleaner briefly who is no longer with us. First thing I would do is put my hand on the bath area where the soap goes to see if she had cleaned the shower/bath. There was residue each and every time.
I know many use dispensers and I have seen nice ones, they aren't all camp ground shower types. I think the neat little soaps makes the BnB experience special. I know that is an odd statement, but it is true for me. Make sure you have room in the showers for them too. No one wants to slam their arm into them while scrubbing..
Or have the dispenser come flying off the wall spewing slimy soap everywhere all over the bathroom while you are dripping wet with soapy hair trying to catch it and keep the soap from covering the bathroom floor!
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

I'm quite happy with my little minority of innkeepers that have not gone the route of the dispensers. All our guests may not use our bath amenities but they do comment on how nice they are.
regular_smile.gif
Just what works for us here.....

We have dispensers and I love them!
heart.gif
Guests, also, have been very receptive to them and like them. I like them so much I put one in our own shower!
We got ours at Home Depot... they have three compartments and come with various labels. We have shampoo, conditioner, and shower gel. For people who don't like shower gel we have Irish Spring in the amenity basket, which is on the back of the toilet in each room.
There are no drips on the wall, and I polish them up between every guest so they sparkle.
I picked where to put them by standing in the shower.
=)
Kk.

I think dispensers with shampoo and conditioner in the shower is OK, but I do not like liquid soap unless I have a loofah thingie to put it on and lather it up. I would much rather have a small bar of soap in the shower.

Wow thanks for all the feedback.. I think I'm going to go with the dispensers.
Just checked dispenser.com out and watched the video..Looks easy to install and also easy to fill. I'm just so tired of having to throw out so much soap every day. I may keep a bar also in the bathroom for that guest who is a bar person.
Happy 4th of July to all.........
Karen said:
Just checked dispenser.com out and watched the video..Looks easy to install and also easy to fill. I'm just so tired of having to throw out so much soap every day. I may keep a bar also in the bathroom for that guest who is a bar person.
Happy 4th of July to all........
happy 4th to you too.
I got my dispensers at amazon.com, chepaest price for same model.
Easy to install, no screws, etc...just two sided tape for easy removal .

I think dispensers with shampoo and conditioner in the shower is OK, but I do not like liquid soap unless I have a loofah thingie to put it on and lather it up. I would much rather have a small bar of soap in the shower..
GeorgiaGirl said:
I think dispensers with shampoo and conditioner in the shower is OK, but I do not like liquid soap unless I have a loofah thingie to put it on and lather it up. I would much rather have a small bar of soap in the shower.
I agree with the loofah, but a washcloth doeas a good job too.
I just noticed since I have started using shower gels many many moons ago, when I use soap i fell like I have a sticky film on me.
Not downgrading soap, that's just my experience.

Thanks so much for the info. The other question is do you just have soap in your dispenser or are you offering shampoo as well? I currently don't offer shampoo...I have it available if someone needs it, but don't have it in each room. Most people bring their own. And I do have people that buy their own bar soap...Usually Dove...
I know this may sound silly, but where do you guys have them placed in your shower? Under the shower head or on the back wall?.
I guess I'm in the minority but I don't like the dispensers as a guest and won't have them here. I don't like the look of them, they can malfunction (one did when I was in the shower at a B&B), and I want to know the ingredients of what I'm using. I do find that most folks that come here bring their own shampoo, etc. except for biz guests that are on the road. Cleaning up after the individual items is no big deal & I recycle the bottles.
"I guess I'm in the minority but I don't like the dispensers as a guest and won't have them here."
You know what you like and I respect that. You are a majority of one and thats cool too!
teeth_smile.gif

"I don't like the look of them, they can malfunction (one did when I was in the shower at a B&B), and I want to know the ingredients of what I'm using."
We looked at those wall dispensers when ready to make the switch and didn't like the look or feel of how the buttons could get damaged if they were really abused.
So, we use the regular, pre-printed 16 oz. retail type bottles and refill them from 1 gallon containers.
"I recycle the bottles."
We're still on the first set of the 16 oz. bottles and the gallon jugs can be brought into the store and refilled from huge 55 gallon drums of the product.
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
"I guess I'm in the minority but I don't like the dispensers as a guest and won't have them here."
You know what you like and I respect that. You are a majority of one and thats cool too!
Make that a majority of two - I don't like them either, have never had a good one where I've stayed even at upscale B&Bs/hotels, and I don't use them here.
Make that a majority of 3. We find that body wash that some guests bring leaves a mess on our shower doors. Have small bars of soap and little bottles of shampoo. Some guests use them, some don't.
I bring my own soap and shampoo when we travel.

Thanks so much for the info. The other question is do you just have soap in your dispenser or are you offering shampoo as well? I currently don't offer shampoo...I have it available if someone needs it, but don't have it in each room. Most people bring their own. And I do have people that buy their own bar soap...Usually Dove...
I know this may sound silly, but where do you guys have them placed in your shower? Under the shower head or on the back wall?.
I guess I'm in the minority but I don't like the dispensers as a guest and won't have them here. I don't like the look of them, they can malfunction (one did when I was in the shower at a B&B), and I want to know the ingredients of what I'm using. I do find that most folks that come here bring their own shampoo, etc. except for biz guests that are on the road. Cleaning up after the individual items is no big deal & I recycle the bottles.
teeth_smile.gif

"I don't like the look of them, they can malfunction (one did when I was in the shower at a B&B), and I want to know the ingredients of what I'm using."
We looked at those wall dispensers when ready to make the switch and didn't like the look or feel of how the buttons could get damaged if they were really abused.
So, we use the regular, pre-printed 16 oz. retail type bottles and refill them from 1 gallon containers.
"I recycle the bottles."
We're still on the first set of the 16 oz. bottles and the gallon jugs can be brought into the store and refilled from huge 55 gallon drums of the product.
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
Make that a majority of two - I don't like them either, have never had a good one where I've stayed even at upscale B&Bs/hotels, and I don't use them here.
muirford said:
Tim_Toad_HLB said:
Majority of three.

I just recalled a conversation over this topic one morning a father and son traveling together (son in his 30's). Son was commenting on how much he liked our bath dispensor that he loved our bodywash. Father turned and said, thanks for having the bar soap, he likes the liquid but I don't. The son said Dad it's like this - I don't like picking up a bar of soap and having someone else's hair (pointing to him) wrapped around it. That is why I like the bodywash.
So, since it is a personal choice, I have both. Most do not use my bar soap though. If they use a bar, they have brought their own.

In reply to your question about the shampoo/conditioner dispensers. I only have the liquid soap dispensers. I go to the Dollar store and by Jerri Redding Shampoo and Conditioner (or another name brand) in pairs and have full size bottles in each bathroom in a decorative basket with other toiletries.
This way I can keep the same bottles and just refill them as neede.

Currently we get our bar soap from Greenwich and for some reason I don't think it lathers enough. I've tried finding Dove in a small bar size, since that's what I use and it lathers fine. Even contacted the company itself with no luck...They said I had to be in the hospital business or a market. Hmmmmmmm
I'm blaming the hard water for lack of lather. I've tried a few of the different brands from Greenwich that they offer and got the same results, so that's another reason I'm seriously considering the liquid soap along with the fact of how much waste there is for bar soap..

In reply to your question about the shampoo/conditioner dispensers. I only have the liquid soap dispensers. I go to the Dollar store and by Jerri Redding Shampoo and Conditioner (or another name brand) in pairs and have full size bottles in each bathroom in a decorative basket with other toiletries.
Do you refill with the same brand as on the label?

I think dispensers with shampoo and conditioner in the shower is OK, but I do not like liquid soap unless I have a loofah thingie to put it on and lather it up. I would much rather have a small bar of soap in the shower..
GeorgiaGirl said:
We have dispensers for the shampoo and conditioner, and small soaps here too.
RIki

gillumhouse said:
Yes, its easiest and less confusing that way.

I buy body wash in a regular bottle like you would for your family. I buy the same brand all the time and keep them topped off. Also have bar soap in a basket for anyone that wants it along with anything else someone might need.
I also use liquid soap dispensers at the sinks and keep those refilled.
I don't buy the small bars of soaps. I keep several brands and buy them at SAM's and another that I buy at Walgreens. They don't cost that much and I don't have a case of small ones sitting around. Very few people have taken bar soaps to use, but it is there if they want it.
Edited to add that I use regular size shampoo and conditioner bottles too. Have just one brand available. But most people bring their own if they are traveling for any length of time.

The dispensers is a nice idea.....as some mentioned....I prefer a hand soap when showering.
those that have the dispenser for body wash in the shower...do you provide the applicator, or a wash cloth?
the applicator...I dunno?...would you provide a new one for each new guest. Perhaps rotate them?.......and the wash cloths...added laundry

The dispensers is a nice idea.....as some mentioned....I prefer a hand soap when showering.
those that have the dispenser for body wash in the shower...do you provide the applicator, or a wash cloth?
the applicator...I dunno?...would you provide a new one for each new guest. Perhaps rotate them?.......and the wash cloths...added laundry.
Wash cloths are part of the towel set anyway, so they're already in the bathroom. Plus we have extras for makeup removal. And now you've got me wondering what the heck the 'applicator' is! What have I been missing while not using body wash?!

You know.......the applicator thingy thing....
It's scruched up nylon.. I think it's nylon
I'm so out of touch....wash cloth...yeah, I know what they are.....the intended purpose is in the shower, right?
I've used them for hand towels or checking oil in the car and machines

I'm so out of touch....wash cloth...yeah, I know what they are.....the intended purpose is in the shower, right?
I've used them for hand towels or checking oil in the car and machines.
One Day said:
I've used them for hand towels or checking oil in the car and machines
A bath pouf or a body pouf

Back