Need help with package gone wrong

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madeleine

Reaction score
We do a few packages every year that involve other entities. If the other entity cancels the event, we refund the guest for the ticket price. If the guest opts to not do the event, then that is their lookout (unless they tell me in advance that they absolutely don't want that part of the package). I tried today to offer guests an option because it is pouring buckets and what their tickets are for is completely outside. I gave them 3 different options but they turned down all of them. I feel we're off the hook for any kind of refund but there is a grumbling from DH feeling we should do something.
We don't make any money on the tickets, but we do have to buy them in advance.
I think you have all the pertinent details. What would you do?

Are the tickets for today only? Would you be out money if they wanted a refund later tonight? If so, so sad, too bad, you gave them the option earlier in the day.
If they are tickets to something that you will be able to use/sell at a later date without losing money, then I would probably let them off the hook at save them for a later date. But ONLY if they start whining to you later tonight.

Are the tickets for today only? Would you be out money if they wanted a refund later tonight? If so, so sad, too bad, you gave them the option earlier in the day.
If they are tickets to something that you will be able to use/sell at a later date without losing money, then I would probably let them off the hook at save them for a later date. But ONLY if they start whining to you later tonight..
Tickets are good until the end of the year. These folks won't be coming back to take advantage of that.
I could resell them in another package, if I get another package like this.
DH thinks a couple of coffee mugs would be a good trade as the guests have mentioned buying them.

You gave them 3 options that thwey turned down. At this point I would consider it a "tough toenails" situation. (But I would probably make a batch of pretzels tonight)

If they are tickets to something that you will be able to use/sell at a later date without losing money, then I would probably let them off the hook at save them for a later date. But ONLY if they start whining to you later tonight..
Tickets are good until the end of the year. These folks won't be coming back to take advantage of that.
DH thinks a couple of coffee mugs would be a good trade as the guests have mentioned buying them.
Madeleine said:
DH makes sense - they GOT something.

coffee mugs is nice ... Maybe with whatever sweet you might be offering.
since you've offered subs, which they declined, you've done what you could. Maybe they're just not in the mood for the alternatives.

How valuable are the tickets versus the coffee mugs? I guess I would do the mugs as a booby prize only if their cost is rather less than the tickets, and/or only if the guests are making a big stink about not getting the full package. The weather is not your responsibility, and you already offered alternatives....

We specify that special packages are non-refundable for the very reason you mention. You served as a middleman to purchase the tickets as a courtesy. They requested the package that included the tickets, didn't opt out when given the chance , so they should absorb the loss not you.

I do think you are off the hook here. They are satisfied and aren't asking for anything else are they? GC not refundable. Sorry.

Well, they've gone and never said a word. I went to get some coffee mugs just in case and they left before I could return with them.

Back