Need help with washing comforters

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Madeleine

Reaction score
I bought 2 comforters that have linen covers. The interior is polyester but there are only a couple of 'tacks' holding the whole thing together. I'm afraid if I put it in the washer & dryer the batting is going to fall apart and bunch up.
Any suggestions other than dry cleaning on how I can wash these? If I try them in the wash would the 'bulky' or the 'gentle' be the better cycle? I can also slow down the spin and add less water. Lots of combos on how the washer will set up. But, if I get it wrong I'm out a lot of money or I have bunchy comforters on the beds!
I have washed the shams so I know the fabric can go thru the wash.
(This is why I rarely buy anything but quilts or matelasse.)

So far none of the experts have chimed in on this, so I'll represent the dufusses. How about using lots of large safety pins to keep the batting from shifting? Pin through all layers just like the quilters do when they're putting quilts together. Too thick?

So far none of the experts have chimed in on this, so I'll represent the dufusses. How about using lots of large safety pins to keep the batting from shifting? Pin through all layers just like the quilters do when they're putting quilts together. Too thick?.
Good idea, just a little nervous with the safety pins in the wash pulling the fabric or rusting. I could also hand tack the whole mess but I only have until tomorrow to get this done. ;-)

So far none of the experts have chimed in on this, so I'll represent the dufusses. How about using lots of large safety pins to keep the batting from shifting? Pin through all layers just like the quilters do when they're putting quilts together. Too thick?.
Good idea, just a little nervous with the safety pins in the wash pulling the fabric or rusting. I could also hand tack the whole mess but I only have until tomorrow to get this done. ;-)
If you use the pins, take it right out of the washer..they shouldn't rust that fast. I was just going to comment on washing linen...I thought you would have a wrinkled mess with that??? I am not real hopeful of the batting staying in place. sorry.

If you use the pins, take it right out of the washer..they shouldn't rust that fast. I was just going to comment on washing linen...I thought you would have a wrinkled mess with that??? I am not real hopeful of the batting staying in place. sorry.
I just checked the label on the shams. Not linen but a good substitute! It looks and feels like linen and yes, it does wrinkle up, too.
I've thought that over the winter I might just take the batting out and replace it with a down duvet and put a zipper on the end of it. That way I could wash it. But right now I just want to clean it up a bit.
Not thinking the batting is going to stay put without me sewing it up like a quilt. Dang. They were just too cute in the store I over rode the little angel asking how was I going to clean them!

I just checked the label on the shams. Not linen but a good substitute! It looks and feels like linen and yes, it does wrinkle up, too.
I've thought that over the winter I might just take the batting out and replace it with a down duvet and put a zipper on the end of it. That way I could wash it. But right now I just want to clean it up a bit.
Not thinking the batting is going to stay put without me sewing it up like a quilt. Dang. They were just too cute in the store I over rode the little angel asking how was I going to clean them!
Are they the toile ones? Sounds like a good idea for the future. You don't happen to have an extra set to put on so you can give it try and wash anyway and see what happens??? Use the gentlest cycle and slow spin and then in the dryer toss in some tennis shoes or something like that...to help bounce around and fluff the filling.

We found that it's the dryer that does the most damage to the batting. Now we just hang them dry or put them in a room with a dehumidifier. Keep them out of the dryer.

so i'm obviously too late to help ... but i'm wondering what you ended up doing? i would think that big yarn or ribbon stitches or even invisible thread every 8 inches or so ... like quilt square size ... you know, when you run one stitch through the middle to hold the batting in place ... but it would be permanent and might spoil the look. so pins sounds reasonable too,
i had a nightmare of a time with duvets. could never get them back in the covers properly after the first washing.

so i'm obviously too late to help ... but i'm wondering what you ended up doing? i would think that big yarn or ribbon stitches or even invisible thread every 8 inches or so ... like quilt square size ... you know, when you run one stitch through the middle to hold the batting in place ... but it would be permanent and might spoil the look. so pins sounds reasonable too,
i had a nightmare of a time with duvets. could never get them back in the covers properly after the first washing..
I ended up washing everything else but the comforters. Hate to do that, I like everything to go thru the wash every couple of weeks. I'm going to end up removing the batting come winter and making them into duvet covers instead of comforters. The shams wash up just fine even with the 'dry clean only' label.

We found that it's the dryer that does the most damage to the batting. Now we just hang them dry or put them in a room with a dehumidifier. Keep them out of the dryer..
If it wasn't so dang humid here I might try that!

Back