Need input

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillumhouse

Reaction score
As you know, I offered Nov 10 free to those with military ID (Activy Duty or Retired will have it - yes, Reserves also, but they are called up and it is by choice that they serve) so they would be here for the Veteran's Day activities.
What do you think of a B & Bs say thank you to the Vets with each inn giving 1 (one) room free that night to a valid military ID person?
Feedback please.

Good Idea, Is this just for your B & B or is there a group willing to do this.
Unfortunately I think you are being WAY TOO GENEROUS. Could be inundated and lose money big time.
How about pay one night..next night free. OR 50% discount off stay.. or, limit the time frame for a free night.
I really don't feel compelled to offer every military person a free room.

Good Idea, Is this just for your B & B or is there a group willing to do this.
Unfortunately I think you are being WAY TOO GENEROUS. Could be inundated and lose money big time.
How about pay one night..next night free. OR 50% discount off stay.. or, limit the time frame for a free night.
I really don't feel compelled to offer every military person a free room..
I offered all three of my rooms and would NEVER expect anyone to do that. I was wondering if each inn would give ONE room night as a thank you for serving us.

If we had anything going on here to go to, I'd say it would be great. I was going to bring this up with my group after I saw that article.

We offer a 10% discount to miliatary year-round. Not all of them are home or get leave on Veterans day.

We offer a 10% discount to miliatary year-round. Not all of them are home or get leave on Veterans day..
That is the point, those who DO had a day off or leave COULD come to see your inn and your hospitality as you say thank your for your service. I included retired as they have the ID also - and they do not need leave.
The Idea of keeping it to those with a military ID is to avoid those who got the Greetings! You are now in the Army for 2 years letters that my generation were still getting.
I am just wondering how much support there would be for it. Can you imagine how great the B & B industry would look to do that?

If I were to offer a military special, it'll be a free third night's stay during off-peak season.
Your free night stay on Veteren's day eve is equally as good.
An ID is a must!

If I were to offer a military special, it'll be a free third night's stay during off-peak season.
An ID is a must!.
Not trying to insult or anger anyone, but I have a legitimate question:
Are you trying to "support our troops" or just fill beds on Veterans Day?
If you're trying to support the troops, at least during war time, then give them some support. Otherwise it comes across as a once-a-year gimmick to get business. That's like slapping a bumper sticker on your car that says "support our troops" and then that's all you do.
The lay their lives down 24/7. It's the very least we can do to give them something back.

An ID is a must!.
If you're trying to support the troops, at least during war time, then give them some support. Otherwise it comes across as a once-a-year gimmick to get business. That's like slapping a bumper sticker on your car that says "support our troops" and then that's all you do.
The lay their lives down 24/7. It's the very least we can do to give them something back.
I don't think you understand this. She DOES support the troops and I believe she does give discounts year round.
As far as heads in beds on Veterans Day...which by the way has passed us......they would all be free heads;-)

An ID is a must!.
I don't think you understand this. She DOES support the troops and I believe she does give discounts year round.
As far as heads in beds on Veterans Day...which by the way has passed us......they would all be free heads;-)
catlady said:
And I knew that how? It was never stated. I can only go by what is written here.
Besides my response was to everyone considering doing something for the military. Not just her.

An ID is a must!.
catlady said:
And I knew that how? It was never stated. I can only go by what is written here.
Besides my response was to everyone considering doing something for the military. Not just her.
Proud Texan said:
catlady said:
Well you might need to read a few more of Kathleen's posts before stating she only uses 'support the troops' as a gimic for marketing. She already stated she gives military and police discounts YEAR ROUND (I think you commented on that thread as well about giving away the farm or something). Or how about this? Why not ASK her? Instead of insinuating she does not support our Military. Or as you replied - insult everyone here, "not just her"

An ID is a must!.
catlady said:
Proud Texan said:
catlady said:
Well you might need to read a few more of Kathleen's posts before stating she only uses 'support the troops' as a gimic for marketing. She already stated she gives military and police discounts YEAR ROUND (I think you commented on that thread as well about giving away the farm or something). Or how about this? Why not ASK her? Instead of insinuating she does not support our Military. Or as you replied - insult everyone here, "not just her"
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Proud Texan said:
catlady said:
What part of "Besides my response was to everyone considering doing something for the military. Not just her." do you not understand. I wasn't insinuating anything. I merely posed a question based on the content of this thread. To me, it sounded as if this was to be a one-shot deal for Veterans day and NOT something ongoing. Don't blast me because you didn't read my response.
angry_smile.gif

Don't be so thin skinned. This is only a discussion.

Do you know how many threads are in this forum? A bunch! I don't have time to read every single one. My statements were based on what I read here.
Will you re-read what I wrote here? I did not single you out. I did not insinuate anything. I was merely stating that we need to support our troops EVERYDAY.
Why am I getting blasted?

An ID is a must!.
catlady said:
Bless your hear! You would know it IF you had read what I wrote. Since you did not, I have copied here the opening post of this thread:
As you know, I offered Nov 10 free to those with military ID (Activy Duty or Retired will have it - yes, Reserves also, but they are called up and it is by choice that they serve) so they would be here for the Veteran's Day activities.
I also explained later on that I am asking if - for Veteran's Say 2009 - innkeepers would consider giving FREE - the operational word here is FREE - one room for a person bearing (and showing) military ID. Will say no more, I think I did lay out in detail what I was talking about. And in case it was missed - my military, police, and fire discount is 15% in season and 25% off season (many others give discounts to military also). With a daughter who is a cop in the largest and worst district in Chicago (on the street graveyard shift when the action is) and a grandson in the Navy, and with several cousins who were career military, my Mom's brother with a useless arm after WWII and Daddy's only brother in a 6x whatever size they make graves in France, I do believe I put my money where my mouth is regarding our troops and those who protect us. This is to be taken as a statement, not as argumentative. I do understand that there are so many of us on the Forum that one cannot always remember who is who and what they stand for.
I am just trying to get an idea of how much support there would be for this. Yes, it will make the B & B industry look good, Yes it will give an opportunity for us to show what a B & B is to a new group of people. BUT over everything that is good for us, it is a way to say Thank you. And in October 2009, if I am still around and open, I will be posting that November 10, 2009 my entire inventory of rooms will be available FREE to anyone with military ID for that one night. I am small enough, and built up enough of a business that I can and will do that. Not everyone can or should - one room would be nice.
Edited to say: I am not "going after" anyone. I understand that someone just coming in to the Forum would not have a clue about who or what I am about. That is why I have laid it out so totally - not climbing PT's back - just explaining why this is somethin that is close to me. My big regret is that I did not think to do it sooner - I had to have one of JBJ's Inn the News to kick-start me.

An ID is a must!.
Proud Texan said:
She's trying to encourage other inns to support our military more.
She already does the day-in-day-out thing.

PS glad you went back in to actually add an insult. Name calling is not allowed on this forum btw..
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
PS glad you went back in to actually add an insult. Name calling is not allowed on this forum btw.
Why are you so thin skinned? I wasn't insulting anyone I merely stated that we need to support our troops every day. You either agree with that or don't. My meaning was just that! I neither implied nor insinuated anything else. Quit trying to read between the lines. I have no agenda. If you misunderstood what I said, then I'm sorry.

please remember that in an online forum, we often/sometimes can't tell if a comment is directed at us personally or if it's a general comment. and words read harsh or insulting, even if unintended. it reads to me like a jab at kathleen. perhaps i am mistaken? kathleen is very generous and her motive is to be kind.
PT are you saying that a group effort to get free nite stays donated for service people might be interpreted as a gimmick ... just a way to get publicity and nothing more? if so, my answer is ... maybe. but good things can still be done even if some participants do it mainly for the publicity.
for example, i worked with habitat for humanity. some people donated time, services and/or materials. some did it to get a tax write off. some did it because it felt good to help. some did it because they wanted their names and pictures and/or their companies' names and pictures publicized. it didn't matter to me WHY they donated if we got what we needed. trying to figure out their motivation was the last thing i cared about.

please remember that in an online forum, we often/sometimes can't tell if a comment is directed at us personally or if it's a general comment. and words read harsh or insulting, even if unintended. it reads to me like a jab at kathleen. perhaps i am mistaken? kathleen is very generous and her motive is to be kind.
PT are you saying that a group effort to get free nite stays donated for service people might be interpreted as a gimmick ... just a way to get publicity and nothing more? if so, my answer is ... maybe. but good things can still be done even if some participants do it mainly for the publicity.
for example, i worked with habitat for humanity. some people donated time, services and/or materials. some did it to get a tax write off. some did it because it felt good to help. some did it because they wanted their names and pictures and/or their companies' names and pictures publicized. it didn't matter to me WHY they donated if we got what we needed. trying to figure out their motivation was the last thing i cared about..
Thanks SS. And in case anyone missed it in the exchange - I am talking about 1 night on one day - Nov. 10 (if setting it up for the activities) or Nov 11, 2009 which would be the actual Veteran's Day. Not meant to be an all year thing. JUST Veteran's Day.

Back