Need new silverware. Any ideas?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alibi Ike

Reaction score
We are looking to buy new stainless silverware sometime soon. My personal set of silverware is 15 years old and shows no sign of deterioration. (Reed & Barton) The inn's silverware (so subject to the same water, detergent, etc) is beat to heck. Do not know the brand. I bought new silverware about 6 years ago and washed it once. It came out spotted and stained so was consigned to the guest pantry.
What should I look for to get the best quality silverware? What do the number ratings mean? Where in your dishwasher is your silverware rack? Top or bottom?
Thanks!

There are different qualities of Stainless. I have had many customers bring in their Stainless in with rust spots on them, blaming it on the dishwasher. We have come to the conclusion that sometimes the "mix" ( chromium & nickel & iron) is not blended as well as it should be & rust spots form on the surface. If the cutlery is touching while it dries, it can transfer the rust from one utensil to another. Wiping them dry can help prevent the "rust" look. 18/8 is not as good as 18/10 the #'s are the blend of chromium & nickel.
Most north american designed cutlery racks are on the bottom. Some european ones ( and a couple of Kitchenaid) have a 3rd rack on the top. I think the 3rd rack is too time consuming to load. Whirlpool have the tray in the door, but about 10% have to be rewashed because of poor water coverage on the door.
Hope that helps.
BBBBob

I've also heard that you shouldn't use dishwashing detergent that has lemon or any type of citrus in it as this will ruin the stainless finish. Our pattern is 18/10 and has held up very well, I will try to get some info on brand/style for you.

There are different qualities of Stainless. I have had many customers bring in their Stainless in with rust spots on them, blaming it on the dishwasher. We have come to the conclusion that sometimes the "mix" ( chromium & nickel & iron) is not blended as well as it should be & rust spots form on the surface. If the cutlery is touching while it dries, it can transfer the rust from one utensil to another. Wiping them dry can help prevent the "rust" look. 18/8 is not as good as 18/10 the #'s are the blend of chromium & nickel.
Most north american designed cutlery racks are on the bottom. Some european ones ( and a couple of Kitchenaid) have a 3rd rack on the top. I think the 3rd rack is too time consuming to load. Whirlpool have the tray in the door, but about 10% have to be rewashed because of poor water coverage on the door.
Hope that helps.
BBBBob.
Never leave cutlery sitting in the dishwasher after running, unload asap, especially don't leave overnight. We have the third rack on the top for cutlery (Miele dishwasher). You are right, loading is time consuming, but I find it OK, as you gain time when unloading (evrything is grouped). Also it gets cleaner and less rust, the cutlery does not touch each other with the toprack.

Interesting..........thanks for the thread.
We have always had the Whirlpool with the silverware tray in the door.....this gives us more space for all the other items.
If you recall a while back.....my thread about smelly dishes.......well, it's not as often anymore.........when it has lately......it's been a full load and that sat clean over night......I then realized the odor was from the silverware.......OK, it's realy cheap silverware from Walmart...everyday use.....I do have additional full sets, 3 actualy.....for holiday and special occasion

We use Finish Dishwasher tablets and we havn't had any trouble we bought ours from Ikea hope that helps.

Back