Need some extra income

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I agree, your rates are way too low, with your award references and the amenities you offer, I would expect to pay double the rate you have listed, you have all rooms with private baths, a huge plus!! Raise those rates baby!.
ps thanks for recognizing my awards!
regular_smile.gif

i am Sorry and I don't mean to be 'catty'....but I must be missing something....what awards???? The only thing I see is an old 2005 Bedandbreakfast.com and that link now goes to the 2008 winners which you are not on. Did you own the inn in 2005???
ah yes but it's one of those things my web company has to do (grr). and on my "to do list" (sigh) and yes I did own it in 2005 and that was the "pet friendly award"

I think I will look into Arise. It sounds really good..
email me is you have any questions however everything is pretty much on their site. Helps me make my car payment at least .... lol, because if I don't have a car my guests ain't gonna get breakfast!

I have so far filled out and applied. Gone through the first segment of simulated calls and finally called the number they told me to and read a paragraph of words into the phone. I guess I will hear from them in a few days if they want me or not.

I have so far filled out and applied. Gone through the first segment of simulated calls and finally called the number they told me to and read a paragraph of words into the phone. I guess I will hear from them in a few days if they want me or not..
It may take more than a few days so don't get despondent if you don't hear back immed. At some point they willl ask for SSN and there is a cost for background check, not sure how much. I always get nervous when an online co asks for my SSN but rest assured this one is legit.

Well I am making progress with Arise. I passed the voice test and also the background check! Now I am taking the Arise introduction course online. I was glad to have been waived the full fee. Noramally it is $99 to take the course but I got a special for $25! I guess my timing was just right as the deal ends on Friday and goes back to $99. It has some good inforamation so far about customer service which I think could also be quite helpful in the bed and breakfast business.

Well I am making progress with Arise. I passed the voice test and also the background check! Now I am taking the Arise introduction course online. I was glad to have been waived the full fee. Noramally it is $99 to take the course but I got a special for $25! I guess my timing was just right as the deal ends on Friday and goes back to $99. It has some good inforamation so far about customer service which I think could also be quite helpful in the bed and breakfast business..
Good job! It's really perfect for us Innkeepers, sometimes I really struggle to do my 15 hours but it's nice to get a check - and they pay regularly every 2 weeks, since we are independent contractors they don't take out taxes, they send 1099
I did not even know they were offering the basic training for only $25!

I have increased my rates 3 times since I took over this Inn, remember I am in a small town and need to keep in line with what else is available. I had my town force an additional 5% Hotel tax which although does not come into my pocket, kinda limits adding another increase.
I see Inns with much higher rates within a 30 miles radius that are running 20% occupancy (just take a look at their availability charts). I have been running 50-60% (ok I want more but that's a huge increase to the 12% of the former owners...) and that is buiding my business for repeats and referrals.
I do what I need to do and it's a choice I make (with ref to the 3 job comment) to pay my bills, stay out of foreclosure and off welfare etc.
I don;t think that it's any more work than a mom with a job, a household and kids (or a dad ....). I don't have a hubby to bring home a check or do half the work, NO I am NOT asking for sympathy - again, I do what I NEED to do to stay away from going back to corporate.
I was a central res manager for 3 years for a group of hotels, and it would be LOVELY just to say ok now my rates are $150 but it does not happen like that. I yield, I watch the market, I would rather discount a room than have it sit empty (it's not like a T-shirt that you can put out for sale the next day) and I have to keep my heat/air running anyway. I am one of the few B&B that are on GDS (Amadeus, Galileo) because it's the way that many corp travel offices have to book. (not talking Expedia, Hotels.com here ..)
Gee I thought this would have been a place to get a little break .......
I've heard of the GDS system. How does a B & B go about getting on one of those to get more exposure? Does it cost?

I have increased my rates 3 times since I took over this Inn, remember I am in a small town and need to keep in line with what else is available. I had my town force an additional 5% Hotel tax which although does not come into my pocket, kinda limits adding another increase.
I see Inns with much higher rates within a 30 miles radius that are running 20% occupancy (just take a look at their availability charts). I have been running 50-60% (ok I want more but that's a huge increase to the 12% of the former owners...) and that is buiding my business for repeats and referrals.
I do what I need to do and it's a choice I make (with ref to the 3 job comment) to pay my bills, stay out of foreclosure and off welfare etc.
I don;t think that it's any more work than a mom with a job, a household and kids (or a dad ....). I don't have a hubby to bring home a check or do half the work, NO I am NOT asking for sympathy - again, I do what I NEED to do to stay away from going back to corporate.
I was a central res manager for 3 years for a group of hotels, and it would be LOVELY just to say ok now my rates are $150 but it does not happen like that. I yield, I watch the market, I would rather discount a room than have it sit empty (it's not like a T-shirt that you can put out for sale the next day) and I have to keep my heat/air running anyway. I am one of the few B&B that are on GDS (Amadeus, Galileo) because it's the way that many corp travel offices have to book. (not talking Expedia, Hotels.com here ..)
I've heard of the GDS system. How does a B & B go about getting on one of those to get more exposure? Does it cost?
I will open a new thread about GDS ..... in the res section

I probably posted this in the wrong place but here it is https://www.innspiring.com/node/1736

Well I am making progress with Arise. I passed the voice test and also the background check! Now I am taking the Arise introduction course online. I was glad to have been waived the full fee. Noramally it is $99 to take the course but I got a special for $25! I guess my timing was just right as the deal ends on Friday and goes back to $99. It has some good inforamation so far about customer service which I think could also be quite helpful in the bed and breakfast business..
Good job! It's really perfect for us Innkeepers, sometimes I really struggle to do my 15 hours but it's nice to get a check - and they pay regularly every 2 weeks, since we are independent contractors they don't take out taxes, they send 1099
Now I am at the point where I need to incorporate. I'm a bit confused on this and it looks to be about 250 dollars for my state. I am going to ask an accountant about what I should do. I don't know which corporation is best to be. S-Corp or LLC. A lot of that stuff is over my head. I would rather have someone else do it for me.

Now I am at the point where I need to incorporate. I'm a bit confused on this and it looks to be about 250 dollars for my state. I am going to ask an accountant about what I should do. I don't know which corporation is best to be. S-Corp or LLC. A lot of that stuff is over my head. I would rather have someone else do it for me.
My accountant says that S-Corp is basically the same as LLC. It's a new term for it.
I did LLC for both my companies. I did it myself online and they bill me once a year to maintain it.
It protects you from lawsuits. I think the way he explained it to me is you create layers between you and what the lawsuit can do. This way the B&B is my home and the LLC does not own it so they can't take it.
If I am remembering correctly.
Riki

Yes as Rikki mentioned you should incorp anyway for your B&B - I was a sole proprietor until someone told me heaven forbid someone falls down your stairs and you have a major suit because you will be wiped out. Good idea to check with someone but yes you can "Umbrella" any work at home stuff under 1 incorp to include your B&B.
You can also take a look at legalzoom.com for more info, or you can even buy the incorp pack at your local office supply place.
I actually held off on the actual incorp for Arise until I was certain I wanted to do it (but really needed it anyway for the B&B). Remember it will affect the way you do takes for your B&B.
If you wait on incorp just make sure you have a legal name that is available!

What is the customer service that you do? What kinds of questions are people asking or needing help with? Sounds like it would be really nice as an extra source of income..
You know when you call those 800 numbers to get help with orders? Return an order? Make a dining reservation at Disney? Call for roadside assistance? Have a question about your magazine subscription?
Arise contracts with lots of big companies and has work-at-home agents .... so next time you are talking with a customer service rep .... they may be in some small town like mine, as opposed to some big call center.
You get to choose your client after your basic training (which you pay for) and so you are working a corporate call center without the office gossip!
Since all your costs are tax deductible, and we work out of our homes anyway, it also helps in that way.
Nothing you'll get rich at but it pays more than McD and you don't have to drive to work or wear a funny uniform. Heck, work in your bunny slippers! (wish I could do that when I was checking in my guests!!)
Got a question about this: do you need high speed internet to do this? I have been thinking about calling them, but I only have dial-up...
thanks

What is the customer service that you do? What kinds of questions are people asking or needing help with? Sounds like it would be really nice as an extra source of income..
You know when you call those 800 numbers to get help with orders? Return an order? Make a dining reservation at Disney? Call for roadside assistance? Have a question about your magazine subscription?
Arise contracts with lots of big companies and has work-at-home agents .... so next time you are talking with a customer service rep .... they may be in some small town like mine, as opposed to some big call center.
You get to choose your client after your basic training (which you pay for) and so you are working a corporate call center without the office gossip!
Since all your costs are tax deductible, and we work out of our homes anyway, it also helps in that way.
Nothing you'll get rich at but it pays more than McD and you don't have to drive to work or wear a funny uniform. Heck, work in your bunny slippers! (wish I could do that when I was checking in my guests!!)
Got a question about this: do you need high speed internet to do this? I have been thinking about calling them, but I only have dial-up...
thanks
ah yes sadly for all these work at home co's you need high speed

Back