Need some help with calendar in a word document

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 26

Reaction score
the office i'm now 'running' puts out a monthly newsletter ... it is mostly sent to an email subscriber list, about 35 copies get printed out and it is linked to from the website.
it's all set up in word/office 2003 and it just requires that i change the info in it (about 12 pages or so) and each month the current calendar is included, that was created in office 2003. what i can't figure out is how to copy may's calendar (that is landscaped) into the newsletter that is portrait format. at least that's how i see the problem. when i do, it copies without the proper formating. i tried 'paste special' to keep the format but that didn't do it. then i wondered if i could make the month's calendar into a pdf and insert that? i'm thinking there is a simple solution but i am not seeing it?
can anyone offer some direction? my predecessor left abruptly and is not available for questions. i put some questions in the help section in the 'office' forum, but so far i'm not finding the solution ... i'm not asking the right question i guess.
thanks!

How was the previous month's newsletter done? (I know you can't ask anyone, but can you look 'under the covers' to see how it was formatted?)

Are you copying the calendar from Outlook to Word? What process are you using to do it?

If you need it done rapidly (without needing to spend time messing with the format to make it match the new layout of the page, you can do a screen capture then past it in as an image. Not an ideal solution, but should be the most rapid.

Why does it have to go from landscape to portrait? How was it done in previous newsletters? Your best bet is probably to pull up a previous one, change the info, and gi
If you're going to make it portrait instead of landscape, then you'll almost HAVE to do some reformatting... it's probably a table with text inside and there is no way to just grab a corner and reformat it.
I'm not sure if that answers your question but I'll be happy to try again if you have more information.
=)
Kk.

i'm using the prior month's newsletter, removing the old info and replacing the new. What I mean is, if I copy over the May calendar it doesn't fit. The calendars (already done for the next 6 months) are wider left to right and are printed out in landscape. If I copy and paste, attempting to copy over the April formatted calendar page that is sitting there, my new May calendar page cuts off on the right or tries to fit itself by putting only 5 days of the week across.
I believe it was done in outlook. The calendar is sitting alone in a saved file on the desktop.
How do I do a screen capture?
Oh to have had a little 'on the job training' from the outgoing! All those little things people do and no one else knows quite how ....
wink_smile.gif

i'm using the prior month's newsletter, removing the old info and replacing the new. What I mean is, if I copy over the May calendar it doesn't fit. The calendars (already done for the next 6 months) are wider left to right and are printed out in landscape. If I copy and paste, attempting to copy over the April formatted calendar page that is sitting there, my new May calendar page cuts off on the right or tries to fit itself by putting only 5 days of the week across.
I believe it was done in outlook. The calendar is sitting alone in a saved file on the desktop.
Oh to have had a little 'on the job training' from the outgoing! All those little things people do and no one else knows quite how ....
wink_smile.gif
Check to see if you have something called 'PrintKey' loaded. (That's the only one I can think of right now.) That will do the screen shot for you.

wink_smile.gif
Does the calendar have items (appointments, events) listed, or is it just a generic calendar for general information? If it's the latter, it will probably be easier to just start anew in Word. If the former, and you can't figure out anything else, maybe just a list similar to an itinerary?

You might have different "sections" in Word... where one section prints portrait and the next in landscape. Switch your view in Word to "Normal" (which I never use) and look for a "section break (next page)". When you copy the new one over, you need to make sure you don't delete that break.
Even if your document doesn't have that, it could be a solution for you... create the section break, make the new section landscape (under File, Page Set Up, Paper Size) and then copy over the calendar.
In a pinch, you could consider printing the calendar page separately then merge them when they were mailed, and emailing them in two files (not a great fix, but something in the meantime).
Let me know if it works!
=)
Kk.

To do a screen capture (if you are on a windows machine) press ctrl-shift-prnt scrn That will copy the screen to your clipboard. Then you can paste it into a photo editor an crop out whatever you don't want to show (like tool bars) then put that image into word.
Its quick and dirty, but not elegant.
also ctrl-alt-shift-prnt sccrn will copy just the active window to your clipboard.

thank you.
will try this when i'm back in the office.
according to microsoft help, i can't copy an outlook calendar, format and all, into the word document .... seriously scratching my head over this one!
help.gif

Also, maybe you can just change the prior month's calendar? I know it would be tedious to have to re-enter all that data, but it would probably work...
=)
Kk.

okay ... just to let you know i found a way to have one page within a word document be landscape format when all the rest of the pages are portrait. you have to insert a section break ... i found the directions on this link although it was talking about inserting an excel worksheet, i can copy the month's calendar this way. i couldn't seem to follow the instructions exactly but followed them as best i could and suddenly saw i had one page with the landscape format.
to give credit where it's due .... shauna kelly .com which i found just doing random help searches. it's word help and it might help someone else here.
thanks for all your suggestions.

Back