Need some input

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 26

Reaction score
my parents' estate is finally settled.
the family home has been sold.
i don't know if i mentioned it here, but i was the one who went into the house, cleared out the fridge, got rid of the spoileds, donated the clothing and the food, and then created a website for the family with pictures of alll the household furnishings and leavings so everyone could ask for things ... if there were duplicates, names were drawn from a hat.
long story short ... the thing i wanted went missing. an old cannister set that was in my folks' kitchen since i was born. all 35 or so family members say no one has seen it ... it's presumed tossed in the trash, although someone may have taken it home even though it was labeled for me. it's my own fault that it sat a while .... i was there so often, labeling things for people. i never dreamed it would go away. such a silly thing, yet it makes my heart hurt.
here is the question: every so often, i look on ebay to see if there is a similar set for sale. now i've found one. if i buy it, will i feel better do you think? will it fill the void even though it's not THE one?

Buy it. You will feel better.
The same thing happened to me when my grandparents died. I saw the item that was identical to the one that was lost and bought it. I can imagine it was the real one (and who knows, maybe it is). But even if I deep down think it's not the one, it inspires the exact same memories.
And that's the whole point anyway, isn't it?

It may not be the "real" one but maybe that set will bring back the same memories for you of why you wanted it in the first place. :)

I remember you posting the story about how you gave everyone a chance to have something, and I remember that I thought it was such a wonderful thing you were doing. I will soon be faced with the same thing, so I hope I can pull it off as caringly and graciously. Anyway, that being said, yes, buy it. I agree that just seeing it will evoke the memories you're looking for, even if it's not THE one.

Buy it.
My first husband and I went into Granny's old house that was falling in after she had moved into her new one. We found a lovely oil lamp and I took it and treasured it. While he and I were moving, it was on the rug and he stepped on it somehow that sent it into the vaccuum cleaner and popped out one of the swags in the part that held the oil. I found out later that it was called a Coolige swag lamp. Of course that put the lamp in the trash.
Years later I am married to DH and my cousins and I are on an antique shop crawl and I find the lamp (that is when I found out what it was)! I looked at teh price and said How nice! When I got home I told DH I had found it but it was much too expensive. About a month later he & I went antiquing and that shop was on our regular rounds and when I went to show him the lamp - it was gone! Oh well, I did get to see it at least.
Christmas morning I opened my present and there was the lamp. As much as I may talk about needing cement, that one gift saves his sorry butt. All I could do when I saw it was cry. Buy it because it will bring back the memories - mine does. It is on the mantle in MY room, the Library.

convinced. i headed off to ebay, it's an auction and i can't buy it now..
so now, of course, i want it all the more.
does anyone use a 'sniping' program that they would recommend? i recently tried to win an auction and was outbid by $1.00 in the last few seconds of the auction.
thank you.

Yes! Yes! Yes!
I know you're already convinced but let me add one more voice. It will absolutely bring back memories and be special to you.
I got most of the things I wanted, some of which were bizarre. I wanted this ktichen brush that you can fill with soap, with a button to push to squirt a little out. I wanted it because I just know my dad and mom were out shopping sometime and he bought that for her.
Well, in the course of moving it from Ohio to Maryland and back again it broke. I bought another one, and the new one reminds me of them just as much as the old one did.
=)
Kk.

Well, I'm even MOre convinced now.
It is the sentiment. I've been baking since I was so little ... and using mom's cannister set, I thought it would be so sweet to have it. Inside the flour cannister is (was) her sifter. I don't feel very gracious right now ... I feel kind of grumped and sad but maybe a replacement will be nice. IF I can win the auction!

Go for it. i get the same way about old tools that remind me of My Grandfather's
I don't use a sniping program. I wish i had one to recommend ...but I do snipe by hand in the last 10 seconds of the auction. It's a bit of a rush.

does anyone use a 'sniping' program that they would recommend? i recently tried to win an auction and was outbid by $1.00 in the last few seconds of the auction.
thank you..
With e-bay I bid the highest I am williing to go in the last minute of the auction because they will only charge you what it took to win. I had bid $300 for John's Mother's doll and in the last minute - to ensure we got it - raised my max bid to $500. We got it for $266.

OH SS - I know that by now you have enough input but I have to add to the clamour and say "BUY IT". I've "found" so many things and bought them simply because the reminded me of Happy Days .... and they always make me feel warm and squidgy (hmmm - spell checker is telling me squidgy isn't a word .... well I say it is).

Although I've never been in your circumstance, I would also say to buy it. Is it a "hot" style on Ebay? Have you searched the completeds to see how much that style has sold for? I would love to see them!

thank you..
So can you point us to the auction page so we know what you are looking for? Maybe one of us has it or has seen it somewhere and could get it for you...just a thought :)

I just want to add my two cents. I hope you are the winning bidder. When I was growing up we had a pig cookie jar (he was dressed like a sheriff) that was lost or broken when we moved. A few years ago I found one just like it and bought it for my mother. She was so happy! And all my brothers and sisters love it too.

I just want to add my two cents. I hope you are the winning bidder. When I was growing up we had a pig cookie jar (he was dressed like a sheriff) that was lost or broken when we moved. A few years ago I found one just like it and bought it for my mother. She was so happy! And all my brothers and sisters love it too..
Like the pig cookie jar story.

Wait till she gets her's before u bid
wink_smile.gif

SS - did you see that the same auctioneer has another 5 piece set that ends in 2 hours from now...you will know how much to set your high bid depending on how much that one goes for. Good luck! Definitely buy it - I am always buying stuff (on e-bay) that brings back memories!

Back