Need some support :)

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

GeorgiaGirl

Reaction score
I just need to vent to someone! My Mother in Law has been here since Dec. 25th and doesn't leave until the evening of the 17th.....
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif
I have to be with her everyday, all day....I can't go anywhere alone and to top it off, she has Celiac disease and I have to cook around that! She's been quite needy so this experience has made me say I won't do this to my daughters when they're older (unless I forget by then
wink_smile.gif
)!

Keep your chin up! Here is a quote for you:
When you get to the end of your rope, tie a knot and hang on. FDR
and
'But why, oh why, do the wrong people travel, when the right people stay at home?" -- Noel Coward

We were watching TV a little while ago and said she suddenly got tired so she was going to take a 30 minute nap! Yeah! Hope it turns into an hour or more!

My mother lived with me for a short while since she had health problems. She was used to living in an elderly high rise. I worked 4 hours a day at the time, and that was too much for her. If I didn't take her on an errand, she felt slighted. Clicking her tongue and glaring were favorite tactics.
She ended up checking herself into a rest home near my brother, 500 miles away. I was afraid in the beginning, with her in California and me in the midwest, that she'd get so fragile, she wouldn't be able to get back here and it wasn't realistic that I'd have to travel back there whenever she got ill. Eventually her health improved drastically for 2-3 years, anyway.
It isn't easy...
Just found out a former guest died. He was here in Sept 07 and he passed in Feb 08. A big guy..! 61 He was an attorney and I wanted to share the news with him, but his mail bounced. I did a little investigating and that is what I found out.

I had a mother-in-law and then she died
wink_smile.gif
cheers.gif

Use this too shall pass as a mantra then go in your room, bury your face in your pillow and do a primal scream! You have my TOTAL sympathy. I had my aunt with me for a few months - fate was kind, while I was out of town the witch went out and bought a house. How much longer do you have to serve on your current sentence? Not long I hope.
I am the perfect M-I-L because I stay in West Virginia (and keep my nose there too). Blessings upon you - you need them and prayers too. Just remember one thing, she is not worth doing time for. That fact has kept DH alive longer than he knows!

Or you can do this - You have owned your DH longer than she did! (Come on now ladies it all gets down to Mommy's little boy now doesn't it)

I'm so glad I posted this! You have all made my day and I am sitting here smiling!
teeth_smile.gif

"I had a mother-in-law and then she died
wink_smile.gif
cheers.gif
"
[/h3] LOVE THAT!![/h3]

I had a mother-in-law and then she died
wink_smile.gif
cheers.gif

Use this too shall pass as a mantra then go in your room, bury your face in your pillow and do a primal scream! You have my TOTAL sympathy. I had my aunt with me for a few months - fate was kind, while I was out of town the witch went out and bought a house. How much longer do you have to serve on your current sentence? Not long I hope.
I am the perfect M-I-L because I stay in West Virginia (and keep my nose there too). Blessings upon you - you need them and prayers too. Just remember one thing, she is not worth doing time for. That fact has kept DH alive longer than he knows!.
gillumhouse said:
How much longer do you have to serve on your current sentence? Not long I hope.
She's not leaving until late on the 17th, BUT there is good new.....Husband leaves on the 17th also for work to Korea so I will have lots of time to dance around the house with glee!
wink_smile.gif

my mother in law is a very nice lady. she's the kind of person that is almost too nice...to the point where she drives me nuts!
I used to feel kind of guilty for finding her so annoying. when she is around she feels she must talk to you, literally, every second, of every moment about something, anything. she is such a rambler, that most of the time i have tuned her out after the first few moments of her speaking.
she thinks she is the only person who has ever though of any idea, she thinks the almond bark she makes (with walnuts!) was invented by her & that it is so difficult that only she can make it. when we go home to visit (3 hours away) she calls every 20 minutes to find out where we are. She drives me nuts, 99% of the time. If she doesn't call it's my father in law calling. I could go on & on.
Like, i said, i used to feel guilty, until i found out that she drives DH nuts too! Then i did not feel bad & you should not feel bad either!
DH & i have said the same thing to each other, when we have kids, is this the way we will be with them? will we drive them nuts? probably! but one thing is for sure...i will always make my almond bark with...almonds!

I get along with my MIL, don't get me wrong.....but she sounds pretty much like yours mollysmom! One thing she does that makes me so mad is dismisses what I say, or tells people that she was the one who said it! We went to the furniture store yesterday looking at possible couches, whenever I said I liked one with a print on it she said "that's hideous", can you imagine saying that to something some said they liked?? I just smile and don't say too much, I've been doing that for 25 years now.
Only 10 more days to go...
potty-mouth.gif

wanna hear something freaky!? i think i jinxed myself by writing that post earlier...Dh talked with her about 1/2 hour ago...MIL & FIL are coming to visit Saturday & Sunday! Ahhhhh! I shoulda knocked on wood!
i get along great with my MIL except for the fact that she drives me nuts. she doesn't know that she does & i would never tell her she does.FIL is one of those people that it is his way & only his way! he was upset when we got rid of our 800 # because then he could not call for free. we tried to explain to him that it is not free for us but he does not see that so it must not be real. If we stay at their house, they insist that we sleep in seperate bedrooms. it drives them nuts, when they visit us, that we are not sleeping in seperate rooms. Well, guess what, i pay for this house & i will sleep with my DH if i want to.
wink_smile.gif

they really are nice folks...they're just annoying.

wanna hear something freaky!? i think i jinxed myself by writing that post earlier...Dh talked with her about 1/2 hour ago...MIL & FIL are coming to visit Saturday & Sunday! Ahhhhh! I shoulda knocked on wood!
i get along great with my MIL except for the fact that she drives me nuts. she doesn't know that she does & i would never tell her she does.FIL is one of those people that it is his way & only his way! he was upset when we got rid of our 800 # because then he could not call for free. we tried to explain to him that it is not free for us but he does not see that so it must not be real. If we stay at their house, they insist that we sleep in seperate bedrooms. it drives them nuts, when they visit us, that we are not sleeping in seperate rooms. Well, guess what, i pay for this house & i will sleep with my DH if i want to.
wink_smile.gif

they really are nice folks...they're just annoying..
mollysmom said:
wink_smile.gif

they really are nice folks...they're just annoying.
I know a few members of hubs' family would be upset if we got rid of the 800#. And I have one guest who calls it all the time just to talk, because it's 'free and doesn't use any of my minutes'.
Hello, people, do they remember your wedding day? That you're officially 'allowed' to sleep together now? I know we used to have to sleep in separate rooms at my MIL's before we were married. I was 40 years old! But, it was her house. We respected her and went to a hotel! What was amazing was that the 22 year old youngest brother could have his GF stay over all the time!
BTW, do THEY sleep in separate rooms? It's just too funny.

wink_smile.gif

they really are nice folks...they're just annoying..
mollysmom said:
Uh Oh
cry_smile.gif
Run, knock on wood right now so they don't decide they should stay a little longer!!!!

My MIL drives my husband absolutely nuts with her constant chatter and nagging but I get along with her just fine. But I've got it easy. She doesn't speak any english.
teeth_smile.gif

See my mother in law came and stayed with us for long periods of time because she traveled from San Diego. By the end of the time, I was getting pretty tired. She had asthma and though didn't require any special diet..she was very picky about what she would eat. It was trying.
But...she passed away several years ago and you know what...I REALLY MISS HER! She really was a very nice person and there are times now I sure wish she would come for a visit.
Hang in there and count your blessings:)

My MIL drives my husband absolutely nuts with her constant chatter and nagging but I get along with her just fine. But I've got it easy. She doesn't speak any english.
teeth_smile.gif
The nice thing about that (assuming you do not speak her language) is that whatever she says about you, you do not understand so who cares! Unfortunately I understood every word that each of my M-I-Ls said. Only took 5 years to figure out the first one's son was not worth the effort and the second one lived in Arkansas. She liked me until I did not so something she wanted and from that day forward........ We did not even have to go to the funeral because by the time we were told she had died, it was all over and done with by a few months. Gotta love those siblings.
'splanation - the way Ma had her will was a 3-way split and she owned 2 houses and one sib lived in each house. FEAR of what would be their fate is what dropped the cone of silence and pissed off is what broke it. And then we broke the will so each could keep their house. She died in March and we were told in May of that year....... Hey, it saved me a trip!

teeth_smile.gif
happyjacks said:
teeth_smile.gif
My MIL speaks English, but it can be quite entertaining English. And her French is from the 50's so even her French-speaking relatives have a tough time with her 'farm French'.

teeth_smile.gif
happyjacks said:
teeth_smile.gif
My MIL speaks English, but it can be quite entertaining English. And her French is from the 50's so even her French-speaking relatives have a tough time with her 'farm French'.
Bree said:
'farm French'.
That is such a great way to put it. My grandmother in-law (dh grandma) speaks that, as does her sister. I always tell them that I have no idea what they are saying, but I am always listening for my name. That would be the only way I would know that they were talking about me. It became a joke after a little while! ;)
Your dh's family and my dh's family are from the same region. It is fun to me to listen to them say a complete sentence in 'farm French' with ONE word in English thrown in there!

See my mother in law came and stayed with us for long periods of time because she traveled from San Diego. By the end of the time, I was getting pretty tired. She had asthma and though didn't require any special diet..she was very picky about what she would eat. It was trying.
But...she passed away several years ago and you know what...I REALLY MISS HER! She really was a very nice person and there are times now I sure wish she would come for a visit.
Hang in there and count your blessings:).
Those are great words - having lost my mil in 1996 and my Mom almost 6 years ago, seems like their quirks and maddening habits wouldn't bother me as much now. You know?
I can only strive not to be that eccentric old lady down the road :) tee hee....

teeth_smile.gif
happyjacks said:
teeth_smile.gif
Bree said:
'farm French'.
That is such a great way to put it. My grandmother in-law (dh grandma) speaks that, as does her sister. I always tell them that I have no idea what they are saying, but I am always listening for my name. That would be the only way I would know that they were talking about me. It became a joke after a little while! ;)
Your dh's family and my dh's family are from the same region. It is fun to me to listen to them say a complete sentence in 'farm French' with ONE word in English thrown in there!
penelope said:
Bree said:
'farm French'.
And your inlaws and mine would understand each other perfectly! Hubs said it used to drive his English-speaking friends crazy to come to his house. 2 words in French, followed by 3 in English, follwed by Franglais. They don't do that anymore as most of the kids don't speak French at all. What a waste of a language. And, hubs' kid brother FAILED French in HS because he spoke the 'farm French' and not 'Parisian French'.
And what is more funny with me is when the best word in English is a French word and MIL is struggling to come up with the English and I tell her, 'Oh, no, we say the French word for that.'

Back