Needed Feature for online booking

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

swirt

Forum founder. Former Owner.
Reaction score
Another thread about a consistent
pita.gif
reminded me of a feature that I think online booking engines ought to have. To my knowledge, none of the existing systems offer a guest blocker.
Many of us have small lists of people that we just will not accept a reservation from. Unfortunately no reservation system offers a filter against them....they can still book online and we'd have to call them to tell them they are not welcome. Granted this is extremely rare...but it does happen.
So wouldn't it be cool if a reservation system (especially the ones that already have guest management features) could intercept a reservation from someone that was already flagged as an OMDB (over my dead body) ?
Now we might have to brainstorm a bit more to flesh out how it ought to respond, but at the very least, it shouldn't confirm a reservation.
[edited to fix late night spelling]

Guestall has a box you tick that says "Refuse Future Rentals" - so it would have to get to my PC before I kicked it back as a SORRY NO ROOM AT THE INN FOR YOU.
I also just noticed another box I have never seen nor used called "Move guest" and another "Rate packages" and another with three drop downs to put dates for "entered" "confirmed" and "changed" I have always just put all this info in the notes section.

Webervations has a flag for notes, including warnings. You could cancel the reservation when it comes in if a match comes up for a previous guest.

All of these checks take place at least 10 minutes too late LOL

You could have it check name- last and then first, then email addy. That would usually be enough. Or, phone number. It would have to be pretty rigid, I have had guests stay on the same day with the exact same name. I have regulars who usually stay within a week of each other with the same exact name.
But, if they moved, even I might not know it was the same person.

It wouldn't matter, if the booking didn't work the PITA would call..
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
It wouldn't matter, if the booking didn't work the PITA would call.
LOL True .... thats why we'd have some brainstorming to do about what the proper message should be.
There could be the short "Piss off PITA"
The longer. "We're sorry, we've determined that despite our best efforts in the past, we are unable to make you happy. We encourage you to look elsewhere. Please don't tell them we sent you. Have a terrific day that you will probably just hate anyway."
Or some longer less blunt thing that they misinterpret LOL
Sorry, I am serious about the feature, just having too much fun running responses through my head this morning ;)

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
LOL True .... thats why we'd have some brainstorming to do about what the proper message should be.
The longer. "We're sorry, we've determined that despite our best efforts in the past, we are unable to make you happy. We encourage you to look elsewhere. Please don't tell them we sent you. Have a terrific day that you will probably just hate anyway."
Sorry, I am serious about the feature, just having too much fun running responses through my head this morning ;)
I like the longer response, only stop after encouraging them to look elsewhere.

Hey they should be able to include this feature and wouldn't it be great!! Email has blockers so the reservations systems should be able to do it to!!!!
Riki

i had a guest with MY name.
my son thought i had blocked out the room for some reason by putting in my own name. i had gone to do errands and called him from about 20 miles away that i was running late. he said ... 'oh ... don't worry. we have no guests tonite. i'm grilling in the back yard' haha! was he ever shocked when i told him there was another ME who would be checking in!
he stuck a big note on the front door to come through and ring the big school bell in the breakfast room. she showed up a few minutes later.
not that he couldn't grill, after all it was 'home', but he was flustered and didn't want to leave his grill unattended. she sat on the back step chatting and drinking iced tea while he finished cooking. he offered her some steak but was relieved when she declined.
she thought he was wonderful!
chef.gif

JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
I like the long response as well - LOL

Back