Needing new website feedback

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Ok.here goes...you all know me...tell it like it is..
Why did you go with such dark colors? Are you a Buckeye? If so that would be great. Does not give me a great first impression. Not very inviting
Why have you stuck with such limited space for your text? It looks so OLD SCHOOL. You should be using WORDPRESS...not an old html code. REALLY! You are not moving forward and you have to do that. This just looks like it is based on your old site width etc etc. Same for images/ headers..you can blow folks out of the water today...these just look so so.
Never center justify text. It confuses the eye. It should be left justified and use bullet points where possible they draw attention to the text.
I don't see any Google Analytics code, nor verification
Sorry this is only the first page.
OH NO...you are using FLASH for the slideshows for your rooms. AN ABSOLUTE NO NO these days! Will not show up on any apple Iphones or I pads!!!! Major issue!
EDIT: the home page header is flash too. Who does this anymore? No decent web designer for sure.
Why are there no rates on each of the rooms pages? They should be seen right then and there. People shouldn't have to mouse over the rates button to see them. An extra not needed step. And, if some people turn off pop ups, those windows may not show.
Font size too small. Yes I know everyone can regulate the font size, but they shouldn't have to.
POLICIES...not POLICY
I will stop now ...Sorry

Well, I hardly think that you're being nit picking if you want the site to attract customers! That IS the ultimate goal...
Much better than the old site for sure though!
I agree about the front porch photo which shows the chain link fence and car next door. We want to be honest about our locations, etc., but we also have to put our best foot forward so I'd crop that photo a bit or put up a shot from a slightly different angle.
I also agree that you need the address and phone on each page. I didn't think to hover over the contact area and then saw it there. Why not just have an email link pop up to contact you instead of some kind of form? That's what I had and it worked quite well.
For me, as part of the over 55 crowd, the font is too small on the entire site. Sorry...but that's a lot of the B&B crowd. ;-)
Work with it until it's right for YOU, not for whomever is doing your website work! Good luck!

Are you using Flash? I ask this because your home page photos don't show up on my iPad.
You my want to consider using javascript or you will be losing visitors using Mac products.

Are you using Flash? I ask this because your home page photos don't show up on my iPad.
You my want to consider using javascript or you will be losing visitors using Mac products..
Yes she is using flash. FYI: I already commented about getting rid of it in a previous post

I've been on vacation and it's very hard to type in this text box using my tablet. So, here goes, first thing...
No info on the home page for how to get in touch with you. No 'contact us' link. No phone. No address. (Never mind I found it at the bottom of the page.)
No prices. I am not going to call for that info. And I didn't see where it says to 'click here for prices'.
I won't go look at every room on a separate page. I want them all on the same page with a link to the separate pages.
Breakfast? I don't see that anywhere. I am doing the slash and burn viewing the guest does. I am not 'looking' thru the whole site. If I don't see it immediately, it is not there. (You know this is how the guests think.)
You know I just did my own site and I know how hard this is if the person who is doing the site is brand new at it. That doesn't excuse what I've read here that s/he is 'done' and you are 'nitpicky'. If that is the attitude right now it ain't getting better once that person is paid.

Something else I noticed is all of your pages are pretty much titled 'something' and your B&B name. That is a really big waste of prime SEO space.
Your 'things to do' page could be titled 'Things to do in (your town, area, state)' with some specific examples:
Things to do in Wayout, State - hiking, canoeing, antiquing and more

Well, I hardly think that you're being nit picking if you want the site to attract customers! That IS the ultimate goal...
I agree about the front porch photo which shows the chain link fence and car next door. We want to be honest about our locations, etc., but we also have to put our best foot forward so I'd crop that photo a bit or put up a shot from a slightly different angle.
I also agree that you need the address and phone on each page. I didn't think to hover over the contact area and then saw it there. Why not just have an email link pop up to contact you instead of some kind of form? That's what I had and it worked quite well.
For me, as part of the over 55 crowd, the font is too small on the entire site. Sorry...but that's a lot of the B&B crowd. ;-)
Work with it until it's right for YOU, not for whomever is doing your website work! Good luck!.
I agree. Site updates look pretty darn good.
-Increase the font size.
-I like to know about breakfast , maybe in the faq tell when it's served and what to expect.
-I like the multiple links you've put for activities - good idea. I should take a page out of your book there.
- As someone that would be visiting your site, I would find an overview accommodation page helpful to rapidly compare rooms: prices, beds, max capacity, etc.. I do like each individual page though-and being able to see the calandar-nice.
-In the faq, rather than start out why chose a B&B, maybe start out with Why us? and roll in the ideas that make a B&B stand out as well. I'm at your site, I've drilled down to the FAQ page, I'm ready to be sold - on you.
-I really like the font used in your logo. Nice.

Work with it until it's right for YOU, not for whomever is doing your website work! Good luck!.
-Increase the font size.
-I like to know about breakfast , maybe in the faq tell when it's served and what to expect.
-I like the multiple links you've put for activities - good idea. I should take a page out of your book there.
- As someone that would be visiting your site, I would find an overview accommodation page helpful to rapidly compare rooms: prices, beds, max capacity, etc.. I do like each individual page though-and being able to see the calandar-nice.
-In the faq, rather than start out why chose a B&B, maybe start out with Why us? and roll in the ideas that make a B&B stand out as well. I'm at your site, I've drilled down to the FAQ page, I'm ready to be sold - on you.
One more tip, not sure if it's common knowledge. When I was working on my site, I was using a woo theme, and they recommended using a firefox extension called firebug...now I use it relentlessly when looking at a website's design.
You install it, you visit any website - yours, someone else's and you can select an item on the site-like the header, a table, a picture, and it tells you the styles that are currently applied to that item (background color, font, font size, etc...).
You can then dynamically play with the page, type in a new font size to see what it looks like, type in a new line spacing, see what your page looks like with a new background color. Nothing is saved, it just lets you visualize the page. I was playing with your site, seeing what it looked like with a different font size, alignment, and background color.
On my site, it helps me rapidly play with a bunch of different changes, than identify the ones I want to make.

-Increase the font size.
One more tip, not sure if it's common knowledge. When I was working on my site, I was using a woo theme, and they recommended using a firefox extension called firebug...now I use it relentlessly when looking at a website's design.
You install it, you visit any website - yours, someone else's and you can select an item on the site-like the header, a table, a picture, and it tells you the styles that are currently applied to that item (background color, font, font size, etc...).
You can then dynamically play with the page, type in a new font size to see what it looks like, type in a new line spacing, see what your page looks like with a new background color. Nothing is saved, it just lets you visualize the page. I was playing with your site, seeing what it looked like with a different font size, alignment, and background color.
On my site, it helps me rapidly play with a bunch of different changes, than identify the ones I want to make.
Firebug is a wonderful tool to use. It really teaches you alot.
But...if you have no idea about doing a website, much less css styles you won't have a clue what it is showing you. She obviously doesn't know how to or she would not have hired a person to do the site. And, her site is not wordpress.
Yes it works with any page, but...big difference in how to edit. And sounds like her designer isn't having a good time accepting her wishes...bad bad.

I've been on vacation and it's very hard to type in this text box using my tablet. So, here goes, first thing...
No info on the home page for how to get in touch with you. No 'contact us' link. No phone. No address. (Never mind I found it at the bottom of the page.)
No prices. I am not going to call for that info. And I didn't see where it says to 'click here for prices'.
I won't go look at every room on a separate page. I want them all on the same page with a link to the separate pages.
Breakfast? I don't see that anywhere. I am doing the slash and burn viewing the guest does. I am not 'looking' thru the whole site. If I don't see it immediately, it is not there. (You know this is how the guests think.)
You know I just did my own site and I know how hard this is if the person who is doing the site is brand new at it. That doesn't excuse what I've read here that s/he is 'done' and you are 'nitpicky'. If that is the attitude right now it ain't getting better once that person is paid..
I agree, Maddie, I forgot to mention that it was pretty time consuming looking for the room info. If I was a prospective guest, I think I would have moved on because it did take a fairly long time....

-Increase the font size.
But...if you have no idea about doing a website, much less css styles you won't have a clue what it is showing you. She obviously doesn't know how to or she would not have hired a person to do the site. And, her site is not wordpress.
Yes it works with any page, but...big difference in how to edit. And sounds like her designer isn't having a good time accepting her wishes...bad bad.
Yes, the designer's attitude not professional! No argument there. I was just playing around with firebug, and thinking, hey is this what everyone else is doing too?
It is great for learning, but I'm a determined button pusher. Woo themes has an intro video if there are those who want to check it out (they say for WP themes, but it could be any page.).

-Increase the font size.
Yes, the designer's attitude not professional! No argument there. I was just playing around with firebug, and thinking, hey is this what everyone else is doing too?
It is great for learning, but I'm a determined button pusher. Woo themes has an intro video if there are those who want to check it out (they say for WP themes, but it could be any page.).
Yes, I think I posted the link to that same video a long time ago. Very good.

Back