Nespresso vs Kettle vs Filter

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm not in the US.... our guests don't like the Keuring at all... just too weak. We don't offer in room, but we have centrally located hot water and we offer Nespresso as well. Tradition around here is to offer tea only later in the day, but we are going to move the Nespresso to guest access. Around here, we have a lot of people who want the Nespresso. What I want is a small glass fronted fridge to keep milk in.
We have a Lattissima, so I could keep the milk container in there so that they can produce cappuccino or latte macchiato, rather than standard espresso and macchiato..
A counter top fridge like hotels have at the buffet? That's a great idea. We have an under counter dorm fridge with freezer where we keep milk. No room on the counter. I think Lowe's or home Depot might have what you're looking for.
We use Mini-moos during the day and put out half and half in a pitcher for breakfast.
We used to use the moos. But, we had the fridge there and decided to go with milk and half and half in bottles. The moos were going bad, guests thought they were butter, oh the list goes on...
We don't seem to have the UHT milk "moos" as you call them around here. The only other option is powdered creamer. None of which are good.
Incidentally, on the ship, for the first part of the trip they had UHT yogurt. Yes, yogurt that didn't need to be refrigerated.... nope, not for me.

We do have a Nespresso Dolce Gusto in the kitchen which allot of guests use for a couple of nights and than that's it usually (most probably the excitement of doing coffee with a machine wears out) but I do have to show them how to use it unless they have one at home, we also have a kettle with some tea and coffee in the room. Unfortunately as others have said the fact that the machine can only be used with plastic pods that have to be thrown away is a bit environmentally unfriendly and the prices are a bit more expensive than the sachets (although there are slightly cheaper ones which would not be from the machine manufacturer)..
That's not Nespresso, that's Nestlé/Bosch. Nespresso is a little different, it creates 19 bars of pressure to push the water at high pressure through the beans.

Keurig in the Main House for our three rooms there. Keurig's in each Suite in our Carriage House and River House.
Debated adding a Nespresso to our Main House after getting one as a gift and liking it - but decided too many guests would either not get what it was, and not be happy with espresso instead of a full cup of coffee, or would just make a mess.
Keurig pods are about .35-.60 each at Costco depending on the brand and sales. You can't find Nespresso pods for less than .80 each. Another reason I've opted not to offer one.
I might put one out for a week as a test, but given that the pods are double the cost of our Keurig's, I really don't think the added wow factor offsets the cost..
We pay about 40c for a Nespresso compatible pod (classic, not Vertueo). You can find them even on Amazon. They are actually all over the place around here, some that are naturally compostable (Nespresso takes theirs back for recycling). See https://www.amazon.com/Nespresso-Compatible-Gourmet-Coffee-Capsules/dp/B01EIA2YXI/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1493013015&sr=8-3&keywords=nespresso+compatible for one brand that's just 35c on your side of the border. We've used the Rene and the Lavica. In fact Lavica sometimes has a special offer that put the price down even further and they also do tea capsules.

Keurig in the Main House for our three rooms there. Keurig's in each Suite in our Carriage House and River House.
Debated adding a Nespresso to our Main House after getting one as a gift and liking it - but decided too many guests would either not get what it was, and not be happy with espresso instead of a full cup of coffee, or would just make a mess.
Keurig pods are about .35-.60 each at Costco depending on the brand and sales. You can't find Nespresso pods for less than .80 each. Another reason I've opted not to offer one.
I might put one out for a week as a test, but given that the pods are double the cost of our Keurig's, I really don't think the added wow factor offsets the cost..
We pay about 40c for a Nespresso compatible pod (classic, not Vertueo). You can find them even on Amazon. They are actually all over the place around here, some that are naturally compostable (Nespresso takes theirs back for recycling). See https://www.amazon.com/Nespresso-Compatible-Gourmet-Coffee-Capsules/dp/B01EIA2YXI/ref=sr_1_3_a_it?ie=UTF8&qid=1493013015&sr=8-3&keywords=nespresso+compatible for one brand that's just 35c on your side of the border. We've used the Rene and the Lavica. In fact Lavica sometimes has a special offer that put the price down even further and they also do tea capsules.
We've also used the Kups brand, which was in boxes of 120. Some are not as fancy as the Nespresso and not in individual packs. But a drawer helps, where you can label them. Or a bowl if you find a brand that doesn't use the same colour for everything.

I'm not in the US.... our guests don't like the Keuring at all... just too weak. We don't offer in room, but we have centrally located hot water and we offer Nespresso as well. Tradition around here is to offer tea only later in the day, but we are going to move the Nespresso to guest access. Around here, we have a lot of people who want the Nespresso. What I want is a small glass fronted fridge to keep milk in.
We have a Lattissima, so I could keep the milk container in there so that they can produce cappuccino or latte macchiato, rather than standard espresso and macchiato..
A counter top fridge like hotels have at the buffet? That's a great idea. We have an under counter dorm fridge with freezer where we keep milk. No room on the counter. I think Lowe's or home Depot might have what you're looking for.
I have found the 1.6cf versions, but most are closed door. In fact, I started looking on supplier websites in China to see if I could find a small version with a glass door, often used as hotel mini-bars as well. I actually wonder if there is enough of a market for this between the two countries as to bring in a 20ft container of them. Small enough for the rooms. They have versions that are thermo and versions with compressors. Fridge only. But the glass door is a major feature. It makes it easier to maintain (you can see in, if they left things, if you need to refill, etc.) Like https://www.amazon.com/Avanti-1-7-Cubic-Superconductor-Beverage-Mirrored/dp/B004Q6K36A or even...
Household-17L-font-b-mini-b-font-dormitory-font-b-refrigerator-b-font-fresh-Chilled-font.jpg

I have found the 1.6cf versions, but most are closed door. In fact, I started looking on supplier websites in China to see if I could find a small version with a glass door, often used as hotel mini-bars as well. I actually wonder if there is enough of a market for this between the two countries as to bring in a 20ft container of them. Small enough for the rooms. They have versions that are thermo and versions with compressors. Fridge only. But the glass door is a major feature. It makes it easier to maintain (you can see in, if they left things, if you need to refill, etc.) Like https://www.amazon.com/Avanti-1-7-Cubic-Superconductor-Beverage-Mirrored/dp/B004Q6K36A or even...
Household-17L-font-b-mini-b-font-dormitory-font-b-refrigerator-b-font-fresh-Chilled-font.jpg

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/272251789808?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
but they sell these locally to me cheaper as its saving on postage

AMSTYLE-WINE-BEER-8-BOTTLE-REFRIGERATOR-23L-MINI-BAR-COOLER-FRIDGE-NEW-EEC-034-A-034
and that has a glass door

We do have a Nespresso Dolce Gusto in the kitchen which allot of guests use for a couple of nights and than that's it usually (most probably the excitement of doing coffee with a machine wears out) but I do have to show them how to use it unless they have one at home, we also have a kettle with some tea and coffee in the room. Unfortunately as others have said the fact that the machine can only be used with plastic pods that have to be thrown away is a bit environmentally unfriendly and the prices are a bit more expensive than the sachets (although there are slightly cheaper ones which would not be from the machine manufacturer)..
That's not Nespresso, that's Nestlé/Bosch. Nespresso is a little different, it creates 19 bars of pressure to push the water at high pressure through the beans.
You're right! It's a Nescafe (Nestle), I was reading Nespresso and ended up writing it :)

I finally got a Nespresso machine, for myself. Wow! I feel like I'm in Italy! I got this one, which makes both espresso and regular coffee, and includes the amazing milk frother.
Each pod has a barcode on it that tells the machine how much water and centrifugal pressure to use for that particular pod, to make a perfect cup. So some pods automatically make a small cup of espresso and others make a big cup of great coffee.
It's easier to use than a Keurig (which is very easy) but I can't see ever being able to put this out for guests to use. The cheapest pods I've found are $1.10 each!
9k=

I finally got a Nespresso machine, for myself. Wow! I feel like I'm in Italy! I got this one, which makes both espresso and regular coffee, and includes the amazing milk frother.
Each pod has a barcode on it that tells the machine how much water and centrifugal pressure to use for that particular pod, to make a perfect cup. So some pods automatically make a small cup of espresso and others make a big cup of great coffee.
It's easier to use than a Keurig (which is very easy) but I can't see ever being able to put this out for guests to use. The cheapest pods I've found are $1.10 each!
9k=
Arks said:
9k=
Agreed on being cost-conscious! We look for the Keurig value boxes where each pod comes in at around .35 ea!!! (usually the 100 ct at discount stores or online merchants!) Otherwise we're brewing a carafe!
Foo-Foo coffee is reserved for the "Chief Cook and Laundry Maid" - aka, ME! (and made before guests start coming downstairs!)

9k=
We have the other type of Nespresso machine and it's very easy to use and the capsules are a lot cheaper. And at 19 bars of pressure, it really pushes the water through the capsule.

But we bought a small Philips Saeco for the guests. We still use a frother for milk, though, even though it has a wand.

Back