Netbook recommendation?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 26

Reaction score
do you have a netbook?
i need to replace my laptop (i have a desktop) .... i want to be able to check my email and carry it with me from place to place with a minimum of hassle. hopefully it will come with a battery that holds a charge for a while and has a decent amount of memory.
any recommendations?

Go to walmart.com they have specials with matching carrying case right now. Dell. Netbooks use less battery than a reg laptop.

I am writing this on by Acer netbook. My laptop died, and the only place near (1 hr) from here that sold computers was Walmart. Bought this about last spring for $250.00. Have had no problems. It travels everywhere with me, I haven't gone so far as to drain the battery, but I have used it sometimes without plugging it in with no problem. DH hates it because it is so small about 7x10"; but I like it because it is so light and easy to tuck in by canvas "stuff" bag I carry.
It has Windows XP and 1.6GHz /.99GB ram which seems fine for me; nephew says anything new is way better than my 3 yr old laptop. Also comes loaded with a "trial version" of Office.
I don;t run games or videos on it; we use DH's desktop and his laptop for serious photoshop/ spreadsheet work. For the price I think it does a lot and was a good buy!

Most of the new ones last 6 to 8 hours without being plugged into the mains. I am going to get one when my laptop dies. Some places are doing them free if you sign up for a tie in to a mobile phone network but you can check you email anywhere that can get a mobile phone signal.

OOOH...I was looking at some the other day. I REALLY don't need one..but they are so cute!! I don't think I would enjoy doing daily work on one however. I am also oohing and aahing over the IPAD...my husband would have a fit...but it is so cool!!!

OOOH...I was looking at some the other day. I REALLY don't need one..but they are so cute!! I don't think I would enjoy doing daily work on one however. I am also oohing and aahing over the IPAD...my husband would have a fit...but it is so cool!!!.
I got a netbook last year. It was okay for travel but just barely, and after using it on our last trip it seems to be sick, sick, sick and freezes up frequently. They're really not built for any thing other than email. I'm waiting on the next generation of ipads, I think, and I will step into the world of mac. I think our next computer will be an ibook.

OOOH...I was looking at some the other day. I REALLY don't need one..but they are so cute!! I don't think I would enjoy doing daily work on one however. I am also oohing and aahing over the IPAD...my husband would have a fit...but it is so cool!!!.
I want an ipad too! I'm hoping the price goes down in the next 6 months. It would be great to travel with and also have the e-book feature.

I have two.
I got an Acer in Dec 08 as Christmas gift from DH. I got used to it being small, and boy is it handy to take around and manage the BnB. But...13 months after I got it (Jan 10), the hard drive went bad and needed to be replaced. WHAT A HASSLE. Luckily, DH bought it through Costco, which includes concierge service as well as an extended warranty. First, I couldn't get to ANYone live at Acer on the phone. Next, the concierge service managed to get through to them -- and Acer REFUSED to honor the extended warranty until I faxed them the receipt...even though Costco's service was the one who contacted them and the Costco rep was stating we bought the machine from them. So I faxed the reciept to Acer...and STILL couldn't get anyone to give me the time of day. All I could get was an automated voice telling me that, according to the serial number of my machine, it was not in warranty (and no option to get a live human). Back to Costco's concierge service, who gets a live person at Acer who says, "Oh, yes, we got your fax, but someone entered it into the database incorrectly."
confused_smile.gif
So, NOW they agree to honor the warranty, but I have to send it away to a repair center. (In the meantime, I am freaking about how I'm going to keep tabs on reservations and the phone when I'm out of town). Eventually, Acer DID replace the hard drive and return my machine to me (where, of course, I had to reload all my software, which is a big time suck). It's a shame because I really like(d) the Acer. Bottom line for me here: Acer machine: like. Costco concierge service: like VERY much. Acer customer service: worse than non-existent.
While Acer had custody of my machine, DH found an eMachine netbook stuck in a corner in Wal-Mart. It cost us $225 (including tax) and so far is a little workhorse. the screen resolution is excellent (I'm not a techie, I just know it looks better) and the track pad has much better response. On one hand, it felt silly to get another, but for $225 it was worth the peace of mind to be able to monitor what I need to and have a back up. Hopefully, it will still work after 13 months.

I don't want an iPad because there are no ports to use storage devices, this means if you have photos on an SD card you have to use your PC to put them on Apple and then access them via the internet or an apple download.
I just looked at this and that was the determining factor for me, need to plug stuff in. But cool features nonetheless of course, for entertainment value they are very appealing!

I really fancy the Ipad but it isn't out in this country yet but my current laptop keeps juddering which I feel isn't a good sign and I can't manage without so would be good to have a back up. Thinking about the Hewlett Pacard netbook has good reviews on Amazon.

Back