Networking Pays Off!

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samster

Reaction score
Just wanted to let y'all know that we are hitting our stride this Spring after one year in business and it is all due to networking, doing what we love, and getting feedback from the guests and folks that they talk to. We have hit 45% occupancy for April so far with our 5 rooms! Yippee! This is largely due to being set up as a direct bill vendor with our university.
I just had a meeting yesterday with one of our arts venues and they will be giving me comp tickets to package in the Fall!! Also, we're going to package another show with them with a room discount for folks attending the show. We're also sharing links. I had linked to them first through our website and my now poor neglected blog (I will blog TODAY!) and they picked up on it. It was a great meeting as we discussed the future of performance arts in our city. The most interesting thing that came out of the meeting is that my little lodging property is the foremost one in promoting the arts here in our city. Who wouldathunk?? Other hotels often tell their guests that there is nothing to do here. What the heck???
Thanks for all your support!!! :)

HURRAY! YOU ROCK! B&B owners are not hoteliers no matter what anyone says.
cheers.gif

cheers.gif
Absolutely! I promote our city and arts culture and all the wonderful things that are happening here. I love it when guests are leaving and tell me that they had a great time, were out & about a lot, and tell me that they had NO IDEA that there were so many interesting things to do here. Now if I could just commit to blogging more.... haha!
I am not a hotel! You are not just getting a place to put your head here :)
Thanks! You know that I couldn't have done this without my Inn-Mates!!!

Just like here...timbuk2 yes, but so many things to do around here - if you are an interesting person there is something interesting around every corner. :)
Use the guests as well - let them tell you what they enjoyed - perfect blog subjects.
Do you know what out guests did last night? This is a shocker. After dinner and from our little basket of brochures they found the Barbershop Chorus that meets every monday night to practice. They showed up and had 25 men sing in harmony a welcome song to them! It made their whole trip.
I need to blog about that. It may not interest MOST people but it sure interested them. Whowouldathunkit? Of course frm there they had the small world alerts going wild - one in the hours grew up 5 miles and went to the same high school in Long Beach. etc etc They told me all about it over breakfast.

Just like here...timbuk2 yes, but so many things to do around here - if you are an interesting person there is something interesting around every corner. :)
Use the guests as well - let them tell you what they enjoyed - perfect blog subjects.
Do you know what out guests did last night? This is a shocker. After dinner and from our little basket of brochures they found the Barbershop Chorus that meets every monday night to practice. They showed up and had 25 men sing in harmony a welcome song to them! It made their whole trip.
I need to blog about that. It may not interest MOST people but it sure interested them. Whowouldathunkit? Of course frm there they had the small world alerts going wild - one in the hours grew up 5 miles and went to the same high school in Long Beach. etc etc They told me all about it over breakfast..
Oh I agree with you!! We had NYC guests seek out a little grocery store near by where they "Pick and Play" some evenings. They thought it was FABULOUS!!!

Networking is how I got the article with our State's version of the Wall Street Journal lined up. I have been bumping into this PR guy for years with Tourism stuff and he set it up for me - N/C!!

cheers.gif
Absolutely! I promote our city and arts culture and all the wonderful things that are happening here. I love it when guests are leaving and tell me that they had a great time, were out & about a lot, and tell me that they had NO IDEA that there were so many interesting things to do here. Now if I could just commit to blogging more.... haha!
Yeah...I feel the same..there is always something to see and do here. It bugs the heck out of me when I read some TA reviews for hotels, cabins etc in our town and they say there is nothing to do. I have also heard horror stories from our local Chamber when they say some shop keeper tells them there is nothing to do or can't even give them directions to the park entrance!!!
Well who cares if the guest has something to do?? INNKEEPERS DO!!!!
I always want to post a email to those people telling them they should pick a B & B and then they will know what there is to do around here. GRRRRRR.
B & B is more than just heads in the bed....and if there are those who do think that is all it is..then they are in the wrong business:-(

Very good! Yes, networking does pay off. Maybe not at first, but when it hits, it's amazing!

cheers.gif
Yeah...I feel the same..there is always something to see and do here. It bugs the heck out of me when I read some TA reviews for hotels, cabins etc in our town and they say there is nothing to do. I have also heard horror stories from our local Chamber when they say some shop keeper tells them there is nothing to do or can't even give them directions to the park entrance!!!
I always want to post a email to those people telling them they should pick a B & B and then they will know what there is to do around here. GRRRRRR.
B & B is more than just heads in the bed....and if there are those who do think that is all it is..then they are in the wrong business:-(
I've seen TA reviews like that as well. BUT, those reviews are ONLY from guests at hotels. 'Everything is closed in the winter, the only place to eat is the hotel. Don't come in the winter.' WHAT? NOTHING except tiny lobster shacks closes here in the winter. ONE short block from that hotel there are FIVE restaurants, one of which wins awards. There's a nightclub/music venue around the corner. None of the parks close, all of the shopping is open. These people must drive into town in the dark and never go out.
Another one said the only place to eat in town is McD's. Again WHAT?
And what do the B&B reviews say? 'They gave us lists of things to do that we never would have found on our own.'

cheers.gif
I've seen TA reviews like that as well. BUT, those reviews are ONLY from guests at hotels. 'Everything is closed in the winter, the only place to eat is the hotel. Don't come in the winter.' WHAT? NOTHING except tiny lobster shacks closes here in the winter. ONE short block from that hotel there are FIVE restaurants, one of which wins awards. There's a nightclub/music venue around the corner. None of the parks close, all of the shopping is open. These people must drive into town in the dark and never go out.
And what do the B&B reviews say? 'They gave us lists of things to do that we never would have found on our own.'
Yes that is what I meant...no personal touch from hotels...you pay you stay and that is it. If that is what you want..then fine..but don't say "there's nothing to do in our town"...you just didn't ask the right person. OR what about opening up the yellow pages if you are looking for a restaurant???? Does everyone need to be spoon fed these days???

cheers.gif
Yes that is what I meant...no personal touch from hotels...you pay you stay and that is it. If that is what you want..then fine..but don't say "there's nothing to do in our town"...you just didn't ask the right person. OR what about opening up the yellow pages if you are looking for a restaurant???? Does everyone need to be spoon fed these days???
Everyone doesn't need to be spoon fed :) We've had a few guests show up with information in hand, either from our C&VB or by checking out our attractions links and asking for info. They are set to go!! But here is the secret....shhhhhhh....
We tell them the best times to go to the places, what to order on the menu that is the tastiest (and even what to avoid or the best server to ask for), who to ask for to do their tours, where to get the best deals, and so on....
I know that others here provide this kind of service as well. It is no secret to you folks!
wink_smile.gif

Very good! Yes, networking does pay off. Maybe not at first, but when it hits, it's amazing!.
The really great thing about this particular meeting was that they contacted me...the smallest lodging property in this city.
teeth_smile.gif
I guess getting by on very little sleep is paying off. lol!

Samster - this is GREAT news. I know you have worked hard. You started this networking by being persistant. You showed them by YOUR actions that networking with you was a benefit to them and the town. Patience is a vurtue ahd it has paid off for you.
teeth_smile.gif

One thing I learned is that even though it seems all is working well, do not take for granted that things will continue and you can turn your attention to others. You must always keep contact, just you may not need to be as 'in their face' as when you were in the beginning. In my earlier years (and before I met you wonderful people) I made the above mentioned mistake with one of the hospitals here and it has been difficult to get them back on board with us. I had not reallized that both the recruitment manager and her secretary had both left and wondered why I was not getting the bookings I had been. It was very hard to get an appointment with the new manager and coax him into coming out to see us. I finally remembered receiving a thank you letter from one of the doctors on staff at the hospital and sent him a copy with a cover letter inviting him to breakfast. - Finally back in good graces. Lesson learned.

It sounds as if you've created a great asset for your community and are now being rewarded for your hard work. Congratulations!

It sounds as if you've created a great asset for your community and are now being rewarded for your hard work. Congratulations!.
Thanks all for the continued support! I've had a couple of days off and feel up to the next run of guests starting tomorrow :)

The most interesting thing that came out of the meeting is that my little lodging property is the foremost one in promoting the arts here in our city. Who wouldathunk?? Other hotels often tell their guests that there is nothing to do here.
It is the promoting of the area and the networking you do that MAKES you #1. YOU tell people what there is to see and do as you help everyone in the community. More people need to understand that it in only by trying to ensure that everyone gets a piece if the pie (tourist dollars) that we will contunue having places to go and things to do. When we fail to send business to the other entities, we end up having nowhere for people to go - so they will go elsewhere.

Our lake is on ESPN Bassmaster Elite Series Tournament today through this weekend if anyone watches it. With hundred thousand dollar boats - no one is staying with us for this tournie. OH WELL!!! I have not been able to get my toe in the door on this event yet, oh well they want me to give them $1000 for our name to appear on the back of the pgrm as visitors arrive and get it. Forget that!

Our lake is on ESPN Bassmaster Elite Series Tournament today through this weekend if anyone watches it. With hundred thousand dollar boats - no one is staying with us for this tournie. OH WELL!!! I have not been able to get my toe in the door on this event yet, oh well they want me to give them $1000 for our name to appear on the back of the pgrm as visitors arrive and get it. Forget that!.
they want me to give them $1000 for our name to appear on the back of the pgrm as visitors arrive and get it.
Did you ask them how many rooms they planned to book for how many days?

Our lake is on ESPN Bassmaster Elite Series Tournament today through this weekend if anyone watches it. With hundred thousand dollar boats - no one is staying with us for this tournie. OH WELL!!! I have not been able to get my toe in the door on this event yet, oh well they want me to give them $1000 for our name to appear on the back of the pgrm as visitors arrive and get it. Forget that!.
We regularly have events happen in town or nearby where none of the attendees stay at a B&B. Mostly because big events book packages with hotels thru the event planners. And that takes into account any kind of insurance against the event not taking place or an entire floor of rooms departing because they 'lost' in their event and have no need of staying longer.
What I would suggest is that you blog about it now and next year, with photos of the winners, if you can get them, and try for the folks who search for info and find you that way. (Given you have not been able to get thru to the event planners other than their wanting money from you.)

Thanks for your input. This is importnant information. I am an artist and my art work is all over my B and B. We have Sitka Art Center, Lincoln City Cultural Center, and many art venuses in our area. You have given me some great ideas for networking. Thank you.

Back