Never again....

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Paradise

Reaction score
So it's the summer...& it's a crazy season for us.. lots of last minutes, one nights, & big groups trying to pass as "two" people & sneak into rooms. Ferries are overcrowded, camp ground is nuts, & it's the cash time of the year as rarely folks who book same day have a cc #.
Yesterday I booked a walkin for 2 nights. We had another room open (group cancelled on a hols w/e...) & they wanted the second room for her son/friend.
I NEVER, EVER do this, but I explained to her AND the son on the phone (all of whom are supposedly police-mom, her s/o, son) that I would trust them & not need prepayment, BUT that I was saving them the room. It was all made very clear that I was changing the room over for them (from K to 2 Twins), allowing a (very late-past my bedtime) pick up & checkin,( & we also changed evening plans to accommodate this), plus the lack of 100% deposit which I would normally require to save this room at this point.
Well, son calls from boat at 7:20 & lets us know boat has just left (makes sense as it was late arriving/leaving earlier due to crowds/weather) & gives me name of boat (some move faster than others). Then at 8:00 he calls & CANCELS!!!!!!
He hangs up on me & won't answer the phone (not that I can do anything anyhow now as I have no credit card). I phone the mom who says they may be leaving, too (HA!!! not refunding-OBVIOUSLY!) & acts surprised that I'm bothered by this 8pm cancellation & defends son. Acting again, as though we never had the conversation about me SAVING MY LAST ROOM ON A HOLIDAY WEEKEND FOR THEM & TRUSTING THEM WITHOUT PAYING FOR THE ROOM & NO CC & then him CANCELLING AT 8PM.
Lesson learned ... & faith in humanity gone. (period).

This story makes me nauseous for you. People can be rotten, and they also seem to be as stupid as possible on holidays (hence the term "tourons"). BUT...you won't do it again. Sometimes we all need to be reminded WHY we have our policies in the first place.
Hang in there, and I hope you get a break soon. We are on autopilot too, this busiest week of the year with literally one thousand activities going on and all of our guests not even out of bed by 9 am. Holidays just always seem to be "amateur night" around here, I can't wait 'til Tuesday.

This story makes me nauseous for you. People can be rotten, and they also seem to be as stupid as possible on holidays (hence the term "tourons"). BUT...you won't do it again. Sometimes we all need to be reminded WHY we have our policies in the first place.
Hang in there, and I hope you get a break soon. We are on autopilot too, this busiest week of the year with literally one thousand activities going on and all of our guests not even out of bed by 9 am. Holidays just always seem to be "amateur night" around here, I can't wait 'til Tuesday..
Got better-had snuck the two guys in last night (into the TINY room of the mom & bf). They were all there when I went down with coffee. They STILL refused to pay (!?!?!) & argued & walked off with my keys. We called the police, I had to go to the station, etc. etc. Great start to the day :)!!

Sorry.
pita.gif

Hang in there, and I hope you get a break soon. We are on autopilot too, this busiest week of the year with literally one thousand activities going on and all of our guests not even out of bed by 9 am. Holidays just always seem to be "amateur night" around here, I can't wait 'til Tuesday..
Got better-had snuck the two guys in last night (into the TINY room of the mom & bf). They were all there when I went down with coffee. They STILL refused to pay (!?!?!) & argued & walked off with my keys. We called the police, I had to go to the station, etc. etc. Great start to the day :)!!
Get out. You called the cops? Good one! Will they do anything?

Oh MY!!!!! Need a much stronger word than PITA. I hope the cops were some help to you. Can you charge the mother's cc?

Ive been caught before ie im 10 mins away will pay when I get there never turns up crap. Now if you come same day you pay in full over the phone or no room thats it.

Ive been caught before ie im 10 mins away will pay when I get there never turns up crap. Now if you come same day you pay in full over the phone or no room thats it..
Ive been caught before ie im 10 mins away will pay when I get there never turns up crap. Now if you come same day you pay in full over the phone or no room thats it.
Without the card there is no guarantee of a booking. It is always the same, we all have the same lesson we have learned, we always try to be nice, it seems to put people out if we enforce our policies, but in the end, we are always the ones who get walked on. Sadly to say, we wish all people were honest and forthright but they aren't.

So, the only reason they 'cancelled' the 2nd room was because they thought they would just bunk together. Then, they refused to pay AND took your key?? Was this the first night for the mother/bf, or their 2nd?? Did they leave their stuff in the room when they left? Oh, this should get interesting if they have to come back, eh?

They are police themselves? Getting charged with theft could mean that they lose their jobs as officers of the court. Doesn't sound like a smart move to me. I hope that the cops charge them with theft and tresspass.

What a bunch of
potty-mouth.gif
!!!!!!! Good for you for calling the cops! Summer and holidays are when the truely wretched come out of their holes and somehow find us. The thing is, we go along just fine during the rest of the year and forget that those idiots are out there waiting to spring on us. Then WHAM! We get slapped silly. I'm sorry it was such a hard lesson learned.
Yesterday I had a 3 nighter arrive, say they were not staying. The area was not what they were looking for, blah, blah, blahhh. Snooty as all getout. I told them they certainly didn't need to stay if they didn't want to, but they would have to pay for all 3 nights. They said no problem. So, I helped them find another place! Of course I wouldn't have been so nice if they gave me a problem about payment. Even though they paid (and I got a signature), it still made us feel like crap. They looked at our beautiful area as if it were trailer trash. I laughed outloud to them as they were signing the receipt (for the remainder of the 2 nights unpaid) "you probably paid this much for just 1 night where you're staying now".
Good riddence, and get the hell out!!!!!

Ive been caught before ie im 10 mins away will pay when I get there never turns up crap. Now if you come same day you pay in full over the phone or no room thats it..
Without the card there is no guarantee of a booking. It is always the same, we all have the same lesson we have learned, we always try to be nice, it seems to put people out if we enforce our policies, but in the end, we are always the ones who get walked on. Sadly to say, we wish all people were honest and forthright but they aren't.
My 3 AM arrival wanted to pay cash when I asked her to sign her cc receipt this morning. I explained I ran the card when they weren't here by 9 PM. NOT happy.

So, the only reason they 'cancelled' the 2nd room was because they thought they would just bunk together. Then, they refused to pay AND took your key?? Was this the first night for the mother/bf, or their 2nd?? Did they leave their stuff in the room when they left? Oh, this should get interesting if they have to come back, eh?.
The mother & bf paid cash & thus I took at $100 deposit since they had no cc (both supposedly cops-which is more a worry to US re: retribution. NOTHING would happen to them).
The son (cop too) & pal were due on the 7pm boat (which would have arrived here around 9:30pm last night as it was late).
This am the 2 guys were sitting in the lounge w/the mom & bf when I brought in the coffee at about 6:30am. I explained the whole situation all over, asked if they were paying for the both nights reserved (I ONLY didn't take prepayment for the second room as the mom was already here, in front of me & had paid-cash & the $100 deposit for lack of cc for her room for the 2 nights). They said no. The mom had all kinds of excuses-none of which made sense. They said the boys arrived a 2am (because they met friends on the boat they were going to stay with & had to go to their house first bc the baby was sick-AGAIN COMPLETE NONSENSICAL INFO!!) & hadn't "slept over."
Then when they refused to pay for the second room for the 2 nights the mom proceeded to gather the guys things from THEIR ROOM. At which time I told the guys that as they were NOT guests they had no reason to be on our property & that they needed to leave. I further asked them whether they understood that they'd given me their word (& that of the mom) & questioned if that was they type of person that they were (shrugged shoulders here).
The mom & bf then said that they were leaving (one night early) & wanted their $100 deposit back. I said that that was going towards the 2 nights reserved & not paid for by her & her son. They then left with our keys.
I called the police & the police took me to the station where they were all exiting a taxi. Luckily the police did make them return my keys to me then & told them that the verbal contract was enough for me to keep their $100 deposit (which still didn't cover the second room).
Lovely way to begin the month...with more to come we're sure!

So, the only reason they 'cancelled' the 2nd room was because they thought they would just bunk together. Then, they refused to pay AND took your key?? Was this the first night for the mother/bf, or their 2nd?? Did they leave their stuff in the room when they left? Oh, this should get interesting if they have to come back, eh?.
The mother & bf paid cash & thus I took at $100 deposit since they had no cc (both supposedly cops-which is more a worry to US re: retribution. NOTHING would happen to them).
The son (cop too) & pal were due on the 7pm boat (which would have arrived here around 9:30pm last night as it was late).
This am the 2 guys were sitting in the lounge w/the mom & bf when I brought in the coffee at about 6:30am. I explained the whole situation all over, asked if they were paying for the both nights reserved (I ONLY didn't take prepayment for the second room as the mom was already here, in front of me & had paid-cash & the $100 deposit for lack of cc for her room for the 2 nights). They said no. The mom had all kinds of excuses-none of which made sense. They said the boys arrived a 2am (because they met friends on the boat they were going to stay with & had to go to their house first bc the baby was sick-AGAIN COMPLETE NONSENSICAL INFO!!) & hadn't "slept over."
Then when they refused to pay for the second room for the 2 nights the mom proceeded to gather the guys things from THEIR ROOM. At which time I told the guys that as they were NOT guests they had no reason to be on our property & that they needed to leave. I further asked them whether they understood that they'd given me their word (& that of the mom) & questioned if that was they type of person that they were (shrugged shoulders here).
The mom & bf then said that they were leaving (one night early) & wanted their $100 deposit back. I said that that was going towards the 2 nights reserved & not paid for by her & her son. They then left with our keys.
I called the police & the police took me to the station where they were all exiting a taxi. Luckily the police did make them return my keys to me then & told them that the verbal contract was enough for me to keep their $100 deposit (which still didn't cover the second room).
Lovely way to begin the month...with more to come we're sure!
Sorry Paradise, some people are just
potty-mouth.gif
. They are not happy in life and try to ruin it for any and every one they possibly can. Take a look out of your window at the paradise you have and smile, they no longer can enjoy the beauty there.

I would bet they were just saying they are cops. That was probably to make you think calling the cops would do you no good. Not so.

I would bet they were just saying they are cops. That was probably to make you think calling the cops would do you no good. Not so..
Actually at least one of them showed his ID at the station. Quite frightening that these(at least one of them) people (they were pretty horrible even before the events began) are police officers...

I would bet they were just saying they are cops. That was probably to make you think calling the cops would do you no good. Not so..
Actually at least one of them showed his ID at the station. Quite frightening that these(at least one of them) people (they were pretty horrible even before the events began) are police officers...
Paradise said:
As with every profession, not all are as they should be.

Back