never say no one

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 26

Reaction score
so you were just talking about guests wanting to watch a specific program
we have one guest tv here and, you guessed it, guests coming in october want to be sure they can watch the debate.
there you go. i went and said no one here was talking about it, no one watched it. and now have a specific request.

I'm grateful for technology...we have no televisions here but we do have WiFi (as well as a guest computer), and all the major networks live stream the debates so anyone who'd like to watch it can (with earphones please so the rest of the house doesn't have to hear it if they don't want to!).

Ahhhh never say never aye.
What about sports? We have people who MUST see a game, and right now there are some great college and professional games going on. I have had guests check in and say "What channel is it on!" How the heck do I know! I say. haha
Not to mention weather channel. I don't know how your guests live with out that, that is the channel I set the tvs to in the rooms, or the tv guide scroll.

What about sports? We have people who MUST see a game, and right now there are some great college and professional games going on. I have had guests check in and say "What channel is it on!" How the heck do I know! I say. haha
Not to mention weather channel. I don't know how your guests live with out that, that is the channel I set the tvs to in the rooms, or the tv guide scroll..
The Weather Channel was on THIS morning, I can tell you! 5 guests waiting for the 6th to join them...I ask if they want to wait. They say, 'He's watching the weather.' I look into the living and room, and, no, actually he's watching a Paul Newman retrospective. They are all stunned! 'He doesn't care about that stuff!' Hmmm, perhaps not, but he's watching it.

Not to mention weather channel. I don't know how your guests live with out that, that is the channel I set the tvs to in the rooms, or the tv guide scroll..
Big game this weekend that guests had to watch. They take their college football seriously here. Maybe that is not the case up North?? Also, important to watch the news about where to get gas!

Big game this weekend that guests had to watch. They take their college football seriously here. Maybe that is not the case up North?? Also, important to watch the news about where to get gas!
Are you kidding? High school coaches have been known to decamp in the dark of night, one step ahead of the tar & feathers, if they have too many losing seasons.
I remember the coach at Steubenvill Big Red being presented with a brand new station wagon (to accommodate all his kids) by the Boosters as a reward for several winning seasons. In this area - about 120 miles from Steubenville, you could clean out the town on a Friday night because everyone is at the high school football game. Our Christmas Parade and Concert was moved 1 week because the normal evening conflicted with a WVU home game! It's a boy! Here is his football!

Yes, I think football (in general) is America's favorite sport.
My pet peeve these days is that it seems almost every casual restaurant has plastered their walls with flat screens. - What, no one goes out to eat to socialize anymore. Even when I have no interest in what is on, your eyes get drawn to the screen from time to time. Then there are those that think that they are the only one's in the place and ask for the channel to be changed.

My pet peeve these days is that it seems almost every casual restaurant has plastered their walls with flat screens. - What, no one goes out to eat to socialize anymore. Even when I have no interest in what is on, your eyes get drawn to the screen from time to time. Then there are those that think that they are the only one's in the place and ask for the channel to be changed..
Copperhead said:
My pet peeve these days is that it seems almost every casual restaurant has plastered their walls with flat screens. - What, no one goes out to eat to socialize anymore. Even when I have no interest in what is on, your eyes get drawn to the screen from time to time. Then there are those that think that they are the only one's in the place and ask for the channel to be changed.
Actually, NASCAR is the most popular spectator sport in America. Has the largest fan base.
I hear ya on the tv's, there are a couple places we have gone and there is a diff station on every wall, and it was rotten. Why would I go out to sit in front of a tv like that! GRRRRR!

My pet peeve these days is that it seems almost every casual restaurant has plastered their walls with flat screens. - What, no one goes out to eat to socialize anymore. Even when I have no interest in what is on, your eyes get drawn to the screen from time to time. Then there are those that think that they are the only one's in the place and ask for the channel to be changed..
Copperhead said:
Actually, NASCAR is the most popular spectator sport in America. Has the largest fan base.
I hear ya on the tv's, there are a couple places we have gone and there is a diff station on every wall, and it was rotten. Why would I go out to sit in front of a tv like that! GRRRRR!
JunieBJones (JBJ) said:
Me, too. I don't watch TV, so when one is on my attention is really drawn to it... it's distracting and hard for me to ignore. Then we went to a restaurant I like... like you said, a TV on each wall, each on a different station. So dh starts commenting on what he sees, but that's completely different than what I can see.
=)
Kk.

I'm grateful for technology...we have no televisions here but we do have WiFi (as well as a guest computer), and all the major networks live stream the debates so anyone who'd like to watch it can (with earphones please so the rest of the house doesn't have to hear it if they don't want to!)..
Are you serious ... you have no TV's available??

Well, it's going to be an interesting one in the ongoing soap operatic saga!!
wink_smile.gif

You're dang right! When my college football team is on, the heck with the rest of y'all! Bring it on!
teeth_smile.gif

This is interesting. I have been tv free since 1995, and when I travel, and stay somewhere that has a television I find it a strange way to kill time now.

OK, guests are sitting in the living room glued to the TV watching the stock market crash. And now that the Nikkei Index is posting tomorrow's opening numbers as off by 2% already they're talking Armageddon in the world markets. And no one is backing a gov't buyout. In spite of what they know is happening to their retirement plans in the next few weeks.
So, if I took a poll of only my guests that poll would show that middle America expected this and thinks it's what comes of 'high living'. ('Middle America' being people who live in TX, CO, MO and Scotland. The Scots saying that if we have the problem here, it's where they live, too and for the same reasons.)

My guests in the 2 bedroom suite decided they wanted to try to watch TV for the debate on saturday night, in their suite. Other suite was out. They wanted to take TV and try it. Told them to go ahead, but not cable hookup in the suite. They tried it and then brought it back when they couldn't get decent reception for the local channels even.
Guess what, all memory was gone. So they had to do the set up again for it to even work and that takes awhile. They got it done in time for the debate.
Guess I might have to think about running cable up to the the suite this winter. Then can put a TV in the living room there maybe in a cabinet or hutch to hide it. Will have to think about it.

I'm grateful for technology...we have no televisions here but we do have WiFi (as well as a guest computer), and all the major networks live stream the debates so anyone who'd like to watch it can (with earphones please so the rest of the house doesn't have to hear it if they don't want to!)..
Proudly television free since 1987. And ZERO complaints about it as well, we cater to folks looking for historic/cultural get-a-ways, they are always relieved to be free of the noisy distraction! I always look for "TV-free" when we travel (which is NEVER anymore!!)

Proudly television free since 1987. And ZERO complaints about it as well, we cater to folks looking for historic/cultural get-a-ways, they are always relieved to be free of the noisy distraction! I always look for "TV-free" when we travel (which is NEVER anymore!!)
InnsiderInfo said:
I've been TV free myself for about that long, but for my guests I have large screened TV's in every room. They don't have to use them, but if it gets me reservations it's worth it.
=)
Kk.

InnsiderInfo said:
I've been TV free myself for about that long, but for my guests I have large screened TV's in every room. They don't have to use them, but if it gets me reservations it's worth it.
=)
Kk.
Our niche is quiet and relaxing, so it's never been an issue as far as losing business. About two years ago we did start to get calls asking if we had television, and that's when we installed the WiFi so folks can check email, stocks, sports scores, etc. Plus the Weather Channel, everyone checks that out in the mornings! Just about all of our guests travel with laptops so installing the WiFi definitely eliminated the questions on TV's.
If we were more of a "destination B&B" we'd likely have to have them, but I'd hate to have to be the Volume Police, with 10 rooms it would just get too loud here for us. There are so many things to do where we are located, plus so many fun pubs, etc., most people are out of the house except to sleep and eat breakfast, so luckily that works for us. Plus having no common television definitely encourages guests to converse with each other, which is nice since we get people from all over the world.

InnsiderInfo said:
=)
Kk.
Our niche is quiet and relaxing, so it's never been an issue as far as losing business. About two years ago we did start to get calls asking if we had television, and that's when we installed the WiFi so folks can check email, stocks, sports scores, etc. Plus the Weather Channel, everyone checks that out in the mornings! Just about all of our guests travel with laptops so installing the WiFi definitely eliminated the questions on TV's.
If we were more of a "destination B&B" we'd likely have to have them, but I'd hate to have to be the Volume Police, with 10 rooms it would just get too loud here for us. There are so many things to do where we are located, plus so many fun pubs, etc., most people are out of the house except to sleep and eat breakfast, so luckily that works for us. Plus having no common television definitely encourages guests to converse with each other, which is nice since we get people from all over the world.
I agree 100% about the wifi. I may be TV free, but I go into withdrawal if I can't check my email! (And this forum...)
=)
Kk.

InnsiderInfo said:
=)
Kk.
InnsiderInfo said:
I hear ya on this topic. I also could possibly hear others in another room being intimate and would prefer to turn my tv up in the evening or early morning so I don't have to listen to them. my 2 cents. I agree no tv police, but people yell over the hair dryer, on cell phones, and because they are old!

Back