New B&B and website in Boise, Idaho

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

ktuskey

Reaction score
Please comment and tell me what you think:
http://www.boisehillsidesuites.com

I have to say I'm fairly impressed by both the website layout and the pictures of your Inn. It looks like you could open tomorrow.
I love how you include Netflix with the rooms, too. I'm sure that's going to become more common in the next few years, but it should give you a leg up on the competition. I looked at a few other properties in your area and couldn't find a mention of Netflix being available.
Now I just have to take a visit down there sometime in the future!
Quick edit: don't forget to setup a profile page on TripAdvisor, Google Places, maybe even FourSquare if people use that often in Boise.

The only thing was to get to reservations I had to click on rooms, reservations and rates then I had to select from within the text to go straight to reservations. I just think people might get a bit lost. I woudl keep that link but put in another option on the main menu to go straight to the reservation page its a belt and braces approach. The most important thing is to make it easy for the customer to make a reservation as that is the name of the game. The way I think about it is imagine you are on your lunch break at work in an office planning your trip. You only have 30 mins to do it? is is quick? is it easy? is it clear to see what you have to do? pretend you are in a panic that your boss is comming then look over your site again.
Other than that looks good, live avaliabity is very important as I am sooo not waiting for someone to get back to me ive booked somewhere else. Pictures also look very good so fingers crossed X.

The only thing was to get to reservations I had to click on rooms, reservations and rates then I had to select from within the text to go straight to reservations. I just think people might get a bit lost. I woudl keep that link but put in another option on the main menu to go straight to the reservation page its a belt and braces approach. The most important thing is to make it easy for the customer to make a reservation as that is the name of the game. The way I think about it is imagine you are on your lunch break at work in an office planning your trip. You only have 30 mins to do it? is is quick? is it easy? is it clear to see what you have to do? pretend you are in a panic that your boss is comming then look over your site again.
Other than that looks good, live avaliabity is very important as I am sooo not waiting for someone to get back to me ive booked somewhere else. Pictures also look very good so fingers crossed X..
Thank you for the advice. I have revised the site. Please take a look and tell me what you think about the changes to the reservations area. http://www.boisehillsidesuites.com

I have to say I'm fairly impressed by both the website layout and the pictures of your Inn. It looks like you could open tomorrow.
I love how you include Netflix with the rooms, too. I'm sure that's going to become more common in the next few years, but it should give you a leg up on the competition. I looked at a few other properties in your area and couldn't find a mention of Netflix being available.
Now I just have to take a visit down there sometime in the future!
Quick edit: don't forget to setup a profile page on TripAdvisor, Google Places, maybe even FourSquare if people use that often in Boise..
Thank you!! Instead of pay $100 month for cable we figured a $7.99 subscription and a huge DVD library would do the trick. I tried the HDTV antenna but couldn't get the signal to be strong enough.

I could not find rates until I clicked on the Room Comparison page. I want to kow how much the room is when I look at it. I think most people do - I do not like having to look for a price. Nice photos and descriptions.

Under COME stay with us. Everything is in upper case. BAD FORMAT! And don't like the font style either. It may be my dsl is slow today, but it took quite a while for your site to load. Too much information and scrolling on the home page. This is your INTRO page..not your entire website.
Concentrate on attractiveness and basic information on the home page with GREAT photos. Then use your navigation tabs to lead people to the rest of your site.
Why did you underline the names of the rooms in blue? They aren't links. No need to underline and the color clashes with the color scheme of your page. I agree..you need the rates right up front with each room. I don't want to have to search for them. I would use bullet text to describe rooms. People don't read paragraphs more likely to scan and short bullet phrases set it out. I do not like that pop up appearing on every page for social networking...very annoying to me.
You font choices bother me. I like to see consistency through out the site. Stick with the font that you have on policies page. Looks like ARIAL

Not sure what "Hot breakfasts in season and when available" means.
To me, a B&B means I get a hot breakfast every morning. Uness local laws restrict the inn to continental.
Since I don't know when your "in season" is, I don't know when breakfast is included.
And "when available" sounds very strange.
Are you saying that some days it's a hot breakfast and some days it's continental?
Riki

Using a Wordpress theme? Nice design.
Rooms/Rates page:
  • room names appear to be links, change color and remove the underline (in fact anywhere something is underlined, it should be a link or remove the underline)
  • the Book Now is used well, just make sure it is well visible on EVERY page!
  • I agree with the others, have at least the starting price for each room under descriptions. Some get very leary having to go to the booking site when they are 'looking'
  • State bed size, and also info about the bathroom (totally missed in John's Study) you must be clear. You may also want to tell about temp control.
Breakfast page:
I see you did change it after Riki's comment but it is still as clear as mudd! You jump around too much. Take the approach that people do not read in volume anymore. Instead of full paragraphs state it simply:
  • Full hot breakfast is served (month-month) on the main patio only. Your decription of types of foods it may include.
  • In room continental delivery is available year round, which includes .....
  • state breakfast hours & other info...

Thank you all for the comments. I've made some (not all) updates. Have another look - especially on the reservations page and the breakfast page.
Thanks again!!

Hi
Could you leave the pictures in view before changing for a few more seconds ... like 20? I don't know what that is called ... catlady and swirt would know for sure. I want to look at each picture for a little longer.
Best of luck to you.

Thank you all for the comments. I've made some (not all) updates. Have another look - especially on the reservations page and the breakfast page.
Thanks again!!.
ktuskey said:
Thanks again!!
Rooms page is developing much better as you are going into more detail - provide detail to sell your rooms just remember to select your words carefully to adequately describe without getting too wordy. (something I have trouble with
embaressed_smile.gif
)
Breakfast page is improving as well. I still do not understand your use of the words 'full seasonal breakfast'. Do you mean that the breakfast items change due to the season? If so, I do not think you need to describe it this way. You may want to add this in the description (i.e. fresh fruit in season etc.) Also, previously you stated on the site that the hot breakfast was served on the common patio and that delivered breakfast did not contain the hot dish, only continental. If this is still the case, you need to state it on the new version as the way it reads now, I would think I could get full breakfast delivered.

Thanks again!!.
ktuskey said:
Thanks again!!
Rooms page is developing much better as you are going into more detail - provide detail to sell your rooms just remember to select your words carefully to adequately describe without getting too wordy. (something I have trouble with
embaressed_smile.gif
)
Breakfast page is improving as well. I still do not understand your use of the words 'full seasonal breakfast'. Do you mean that the breakfast items change due to the season? If so, I do not think you need to describe it this way. You may want to add this in the description (i.e. fresh fruit in season etc.) Also, previously you stated on the site that the hot breakfast was served on the common patio and that delivered breakfast did not contain the hot dish, only continental. If this is still the case, you need to state it on the new version as the way it reads now, I would think I could get full breakfast delivered.
Points taken. I'd update the breakfast section. Since we are just opening, the breakfast section is an area of weakness. Here's why... we do not have a *indoor* common area for people to eat. They can eat in-room, on the patio (theirs), or at a communal patio table. However, the back suite (the biggest and nicest) is a *long* walk to get to from the inside - you sorta have to go up a hill a little. It would be difficult to make a full breakfast and get it up to the room while still hot and/or without spilling everything. That's why I say hot dish in the commual section only. The big drawback, obviously, is if there is inclement weather then they'll be forced back to their rooms. We were going to get a sunroom, but this is a historical hand built house and it would have ruined the facod. (sp?)
Thanks!

Thanks again!!.
ktuskey said:
Thanks again!!
embaressed_smile.gif
)
Points taken. I'd update the breakfast section. Since we are just opening, the breakfast section is an area of weakness. Here's why... we do not have a *indoor* common area for people to eat. They can eat in-room, on the patio (theirs), or at a communal patio table. However, the back suite (the biggest and nicest) is a *long* walk to get to from the inside - you sorta have to go up a hill a little. It would be difficult to make a full breakfast and get it up to the room while still hot and/or without spilling everything. That's why I say hot dish in the commual section only. The big drawback, obviously, is if there is inclement weather then they'll be forced back to their rooms. We were going to get a sunroom, but this is a historical hand built house and it would have ruined the facod. (sp?)
Thanks!
You can get those hot packs the pizza delivery uses for getting the meals to the room hot. Or, insulated pie totes that would very nicely fit a covered dish. (If you want to do this.)
It sounds like you are not going to be open in the winter. I can't see guests taking their breakfast outside in a Boise winter!
Spelling- facade. (You asked.)

Thanks again!!.
ktuskey said:
Thanks again!!
embaressed_smile.gif
)
Thanks!
You still need to get rid of 3/4 of the stuff on your home page. People will not scroll through all of this. Have you looked at other B & B sites? You want it to be as user friendly as possible. Look through some of these and you will get some good ideas of how to set yours up. It is possible to do with your theme.

Thanks again!!.
ktuskey said:
Thanks again!!
embaressed_smile.gif
)
Thanks!
ktuskey said:
Thanks!
I would then find a contractor and figure out a way to design a sunroom type addition for serving breakfast. Better to bite the bullet and build an add on solution than constantly try to work around it. Serving lukewarm breakfast will not get raves from guests. Better to solve the problem and make your life easier to make their vacation super. You can make it a period design. You may be all about the historical look, but guests will not care about that if they don't have somewhere to eat
RIki

Thanks again!!.
ktuskey said:
Thanks again!!
embaressed_smile.gif
)
Thanks!
I have a feeling your going to have some not so nice reviews about the breakfast dinning experience if guests do not have a place to really eat. This I a large part of the experience at a B&B. People like to sit around an talk. Just be prepared. I still think your site looks like a blog. You also have a lot of different styles of fonts going on.

Thanks again!!.
ktuskey said:
Thanks again!!
embaressed_smile.gif
)
Thanks!
ktuskey said:
Thanks!
So why not just go with a continental delivered to each room and be done with it. Or offer the full breakfast only during good weather months & charge more for that time. Out door dining can be very nice, but as you know the weather is not something you can count on. If you are unable to have a real dining area, play it safe and deliver what you can. Make it VERY clear on your site and you will have happy guests.

Thanks again!!.
ktuskey said:
Thanks again!!
embaressed_smile.gif
)
Thanks!
If you are a true B & B you need to offer Breakfast. What you are thinking will drive you nuts. You don't have some sort of dining room??? SOme place anywhere inside that guest could have a meal? That doesn't make sense to me. Sorry you need to find a way to get that taken care of or you will be in for a ton of bad reviews.
I just relooked and see you have kitchens in each room. Is there a way to just put things into the kitchen each night so the guests can have them there each morning? This seems like a really weird situation. Also...you room rates seem to be really low. Have you compared with others in your area?

The term B&B means breakfast, don't short change your guests by acting as a traditional B&B and then not being one. Make it clear, if it is a stingy continental then spell it out clearly, do not call yourself a B&B if you aren't. Your names implies something else, but the title of this thread says B&B. So this is why I am already confused. Your website is slow to load (probably due to the slide show "blinds" action) and it is all over the place with way too much info on the homepage, streamline it, make it clean and simple with nice images. Then guests can wander into the rooms of your website (pages) and take a peek around.
The first image on the header slider is blurry, and overcompressed maybe? It is my first impression as a guest, and not a good one. Get nice clean clear images on there, you don't need a dozen, just a few. Let them explore the website...

Back