New B & B in the next town...

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

gillumhouse

Reaction score
This was in my local weekly (which is why I put it INN the News)- a new B & B has opened in Clarksburg. Normally I would be saying wonderful and recruiting for the Assoc. I am hesitant this time, mainly because I am a bit twerked.
The house was a B & B when we opened - that is how I found out about the Assoc. They sold as a residence and moved, years ago. Same people who bought it back then have reopened now, across the street is another B & B that opened in the interim. What has me twerked? They are charging $70 to $85 for their 3 rooms w/pvt baths with continental breakfasts (she is a realtor and he is now a minister with 2 churches - we met him when he worked with the contractor who did our siding nd at that time he was a former teacher). The freakin' HI is $99. I admit it would stick in my craw to have to recommend them as the next inn down the line in the Assoc with that rate difference.
I guess I am being petty. I do want another B & B in my city and if they had "normal" rates (and breakfasts - you know, the SECOND B) I would probably be all for them. Now I know why I have had so many lookies from Clarksburg on my web site. Thanks for listening to my rant.

So what are you saying, her low rates are undercutting yours? I thought we discussed this already and said the low rates are NOT a good thing? Are you thinking you have to drop yours now?
Just trying to get my head around it.

Yes, low rates mean "what's wrong with that place?" She may get business from the low rates, but it's not likely to be business that you're going to want (you know the type I mean).
I had a new B&B open in the next town over....gorgeous! All rooms are huge, with PVT baths, flat screen TV's, CD and DVD players, fridges, lovely seating AND eating areas, great big closet-sized walk-in tiled showers and soaking tubs. I could fit two of my rooms in one of his, I'm so jealous. Plus, their location is ideal....just about twenty steps to THE area Lake. Their lowest rates are the same as my highest. I told him he should raise his rates, but did not lower mine, and it sure didn't hurt me this summer!
Don't play that game! Instead, I helped him get his online game together and recruited him into our county association.

So what are you saying, her low rates are undercutting yours? I thought we discussed this already and said the low rates are NOT a good thing? Are you thinking you have to drop yours now?
Just trying to get my head around it..
No, I would not consider cutting my rates - especially because of a start-up. No I am battling with myself over inviting them to join the Association - a current member is just across the street from them! I just resolved my problem - if Jackson Square wants to sponsor them great. I do not have to acknowledge they exist until they are members and the guy across the street is better as a sponsor than I am. (Old habits die hard - I was always in recruit mode.)
I see this as her planning to make even more with the real estate angle by providing lodging - they mention long-term in the article - and the extra deductions from the house..........
See ranting and responses help resolve issues.

Yes, low rates mean "what's wrong with that place?" She may get business from the low rates, but it's not likely to be business that you're going to want (you know the type I mean).
I had a new B&B open in the next town over....gorgeous! All rooms are huge, with PVT baths, flat screen TV's, CD and DVD players, fridges, lovely seating AND eating areas, great big closet-sized walk-in tiled showers and soaking tubs. I could fit two of my rooms in one of his, I'm so jealous. Plus, their location is ideal....just about twenty steps to THE area Lake. Their lowest rates are the same as my highest. I told him he should raise his rates, but did not lower mine, and it sure didn't hurt me this summer!
Don't play that game! Instead, I helped him get his online game together and recruited him into our county association..
I saw him about a year ago and he said thy were making their house back into a B & B and I told nim about the assoc. I think the rates are so they will NOT make money and to attract real estate hunters. It was probably the rates and no breakfast that mde me feel they are taking the name of B & B in vain. I do not look at them as a threat in any way. They would hurt the B & B across the street more - both are historic houses but JS has shared. I wonder how the new one did the bathroom in one of the rooms - the claw-foot tub was in the bedroom.

Don't play that game! Instead, I helped him get his online game together and recruited him into our county association..
I saw him about a year ago and he said thy were making their house back into a B & B and I told nim about the assoc. I think the rates are so they will NOT make money and to attract real estate hunters. It was probably the rates and no breakfast that mde me feel they are taking the name of B & B in vain. I do not look at them as a threat in any way. They would hurt the B & B across the street more - both are historic houses but JS has shared. I wonder how the new one did the bathroom in one of the rooms - the claw-foot tub was in the bedroom.
What will probably happen is once they really get some guests coming and going, they'll figure out how much work it is and raise their rates.
Low rates are not good for any B&B. Like you, I would probably not approach them about the association. IF the property across the street encourages them sobeit.

The other B&B should start pushing the full breakfast then. And, remember, if prices seem ridiculously low guests will wonder why. I get that a lot when I refer walk-ins to a place that charges what they want to pay, 'What's wrong with it?'
They may give the place a try, but if it's a 'here's your hat, what's your hurry' kind of place in the morning, they won't go back.

What will probably happen is once they really get some guests coming and going, they'll figure out how much work it is and raise their rates.
Low rates are not good for any B&B. Like you, I would probably not approach them about the association. IF the property across the street encourages them sobeit.
It hurt real bad to not pick up the phone and say you should join the B & B Assoc. I should probably call to say congrats on opening - just to be polite but right now i think I am too busy. I do have guests coming today and the concert tomorrow.
Oh first thing I noticed is there is no web site. Hmmmm. She is in real estate so do not tell me she does not know the importance of the Internet.

It hurt real bad to not pick up the phone and say you should join the B & B Assoc. I should probably call to say congrats on opening - just to be polite but right now i think I am too busy. I do have guests coming today and the concert tomorrow.
Oh first thing I noticed is there is no web site. Hmmmm. She is in real estate so do not tell me she does not know the importance of the Internet.
I can really relate to your mixed emotions about the assoc. I too am a big proponant of our state association and would feel the same way.
I know that guillumhouse knows that you have to be very careful when discussing rates with innkeepers in your area, but aspiring innkeepers might not know this:
You can say things to encourage local b&bs to raise rates, but never start discussing how much. It will be looked at as price fixing which is illegal!

No website! How do they expect to get any business??? No breakfast??? Then not a B & B ;-( Wait till someone writes them up in TA HA HA.

No website! How do they expect to get any business??? No breakfast??? Then not a B & B ;-( Wait till someone writes them up in TA HA HA.
I do not think they are that interested in business from anything other than her real estate office and the tax deductions - my opinion based on several things and the lack of web site was the big tip-off for me.
Wht they may be forgetting is that deductions only come because you had expenses - such as advertising and marketing..... Time will tell. I will be watching this unfold......

I do not think they are that interested in business from anything other than her real estate office and the tax deductions - my opinion based on several things and the lack of web site was the big tip-off for me.
Wht they may be forgetting is that deductions only come because you had expenses - such as advertising and marketing..... Time will tell. I will be watching this unfold......
gillumhouse said:
A friend told me yesterday she stayed at a B&B which hadn't had anyone stay there for the previous six weeks... and it didn't bother the innkeeper one bit.
Yeah, tax deductions... even without advertising there's heat, gas, water, electric, and trash.
=)
Kk.

Soon I will have a similar problem. The old hotel down town that had been boarded up for some time has 2 bars, a restaurant, 12 rooms and new owners who intend to renovate it into the 'jewel it once was'. This is gonna hit me hard. They are 2 blocks away....ugh. Time will tell...

Soon I will have a similar problem. The old hotel down town that had been boarded up for some time has 2 bars, a restaurant, 12 rooms and new owners who intend to renovate it into the 'jewel it once was'. This is gonna hit me hard. They are 2 blocks away....ugh. Time will tell....
I would not care if they were a "real" B & B. I would like to have somewhere to send overflow - but a similar rate place if it is a B & B. I do not mind sending to the motel that is cheap rate because they are not in my category - but a B & B (but no breafast, just Danish) that is cuttting my throat with rates? Sorry.

A female real estate investor from a neighboring province has bought up 30 properties in this small city.
Some she is making into b & b's and some into restaurants.
She has other people do all the work. The people she hires gets 50% of the profits (after expenses) and do all the work. She makes sure there are 2 of them running it and that the husband has an outside job as well. He will need one with the small amount they will be making (after expenses).
She makes sure she does none of the work cause as she says she knows nothing about running a restaurant or a b & b but has the money to buy property.
UGH! She wants us to refer guests to her new and upcoming b & b's when we are full.
I really don't think she has looked into running a b & b. My only saving grace is she has no websites (yet)!
I'm not a happy camper right now either.

A female real estate investor from a neighboring province has bought up 30 properties in this small city.
She has other people do all the work. The people she hires gets 50% of the profits (after expenses) and do all the work. She makes sure there are 2 of them running it and that the husband has an outside job as well. He will need one with the small amount they will be making (after expenses).
She makes sure she does none of the work cause as she says she knows nothing about running a restaurant or a b & b but has the money to buy property.
UGH! She wants us to refer guests to her new and upcoming b & b's when we are full.
I really don't think she has looked into running a b & b. My only saving grace is she has no websites (yet)!
I'm not a happy camper right now either..
This one lives in the house. If they were serious about it, I think they would have contacted me. I am a known quantity in the area - and all know I would have helped them.
It is going to be interesting how long they last having people in the house with the extra cleaning etc that is going to be involved. I think they will hear about how I feel regarding their seriousness - he is the minister at the chuech a friend of mine's sister attends. She made a point of telling me how nice he is Sunday at church. She moved on quickly when I told my opinion on the subject.

I'm not a happy camper right now either..
Don't refer anyone to her. Let her get her own guests! We don't refer to anyone's place we don't know personally and if I have never been inside their place, I wouldn't refer either.

Back