New Blog Idea

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

happykeeper

Reaction score
Testing...testing...1-2-3
Testing a new idea for our blog-
We have been thinking a lot about how to take our blog to a higher place. We have just begun blogging but we chose our title, "Inn Hawaii" so that it could grow into something big. SOO. we have started our blogging and we are working on what format and all of that stuff even as we blog away. If you want to see what my partner has to say, this would be the place. Anyway, we had a guest who was going to the top of Mauna Kea where the observatories are and was asking us what we suggest (there must be a reason I can't remember how to spell recommend) THEN...bingo
Guest innkeepers blogging about an area of the island that they are experts on.
Targeted request from us to a specific innkeeper to be a guest innkeeper blogger on a very specific subject
In this case, the different ways to get to the top of Mauna Kea and how to go about it.
Has anyone thought about having guest innkeeper bloggers?
We aren't thinking about having B&B guests blog. We just had a guest blog about us and we can just link to that.
Any thoughts about the idea? Other neat ways to get your blog active and important?

You are scaring me I have just spent 15 minutes trying to add an RSS feed of a mountain flickr photo slide show onto our blog unsuccessfully, in doing so, I visited some of the new nifty widgets that are out there now, like the TAGS CLOUD. Sidetracking even further I saw where you can add short 1 line titles of other blogs you enjoy or are about your area or theme etc as rss feeds. You can always feed into those so there is current content?
I am looking at few others that I feel I trust and then see all the ads on there and other rubbish, so I am probably not going to go that route. If I find another blog in this region that pertains to tourism and this culture I will subscribe to it.
Along the same lines though, you can have a guest blogger article section where you feature their blog articles on your island or place. I think Bree had this happen once, maybe she will answer on this? Or wait it was Skamokawa who found themselves on another blog? One of those if my memory serves me correctly.
I say if a guest blogged about you then link to their blog - feed it to yours! I think it is great idea.

One blog that we follow - by we I mean this forum - is InnCuisine, and Sandie who does the blog had guest bloggers every Wednesday for awhile. Six innkeepers did a recipe from their inn. If you email her, she might share with you some of the pros and cons of doing that. She editted the pieces as well. I think it is a good idea and a great way to add fresh content and not burn any one single person out. Everyone who does a guest blog needs to get a little advertising out of it, but make sure that there is not too much marketing of one specific B&B in the guest pieces. I think that takes away from the spirit of the blog.

Shared blogs or guest blogs can be a good idea, but I find that it rarely works out well as it seems someone is always more dedicated to it than others. The hard part also becomes who owns the content and who benefits from it. It is easier to establish this from a blog that is up and running, but from a new venture it may be hard to get people completely on board.
You might find it easier to have a new topic once a week and have innkeepers submit around that theme. Example: Best restaurant for authentic island food? Then they each blog on that topic.

Shared blogs or guest blogs can be a good idea, but I find that it rarely works out well as it seems someone is always more dedicated to it than others. The hard part also becomes who owns the content and who benefits from it. It is easier to establish this from a blog that is up and running, but from a new venture it may be hard to get people completely on board.
You might find it easier to have a new topic once a week and have innkeepers submit around that theme. Example: Best restaurant for authentic island food? Then they each blog on that topic..
Aloha Swirt- I may have not have stated my idea very well- it is very similar to what you are saying.
We would ask a particular innkeeper to do a one time guest appearance on a very specific topic. If they say no, we would just ask a different innkeeper. I can't say for sure, but I think our partners would do something. Maybe ask a different innkeeper once a month or so.

You might find it easier to have a new topic once a week and have innkeepers submit around that theme. Example: Best restaurant for authentic island food? Then they each blog on that topic..
Aloha Swirt- I may have not have stated my idea very well- it is very similar to what you are saying.
We would ask a particular innkeeper to do a one time guest appearance on a very specific topic. If they say no, we would just ask a different innkeeper. I can't say for sure, but I think our partners would do something. Maybe ask a different innkeeper once a month or so.
knkbnb said:
i guess my point is to the very small difference between what you said and what i said. if you ask just one for one topic...and a week goes by and they don't deliver...then you have to go ask someone else...and another week goes by and they may or may not deliver... eventually you get one post, but it may take a bit of time, and it takes a lot of "asking the next person" on your part.
Where mine differed is that I would ask all 6-10 (or however many in the group) people at once and in a week's time you may have 4 posts. It also helps them try to raise the bar on each other by trying to be the most descriptive/most helpful/most informative... It may also make them a little bit more competitive in terms of timing (getting it done)

knkbnb said:
i guess my point is to the very small difference between what you said and what i said. if you ask just one for one topic...and a week goes by and they don't deliver...then you have to go ask someone else...and another week goes by and they may or may not deliver... eventually you get one post, but it may take a bit of time, and it takes a lot of "asking the next person" on your part.
Where mine differed is that I would ask all 6-10 (or however many in the group) people at once and in a week's time you may have 4 posts. It also helps them try to raise the bar on each other by trying to be the most descriptive/most helpful/most informative... It may also make them a little bit more competitive in terms of timing (getting it done)
Good point about the "getting it done" part. I like the raising of the bar part as well. The large group at once part gives me some pause in terms of managing the message.

knkbnb said:
swirt said:
knkbnb said:
I'm late catching up on this one. We've done this idea here and totally, it is so hard to get anyone to write anything. It's been about a year or so and there might be 2 or 3 posts. So, yes, better to send a mass mailing WITH a topic and a deadline. If you get 3 writers with the same event, restaurant, whatever, post them all under a 'best of...' heading.

knkbnb said:
Good point about the "getting it done" part. I like the raising of the bar part as well. The large group at once part gives me some pause in terms of managing the message.
knkbnb said:
The large group at once part gives me some pause in terms of managing the message.
Nothing is ever as easy as it seems it should be ;)
Both Blogger and Wordpress can handle multiple publishers, if that's what you mean.

knkbnb said:
swirt said:
knkbnb said:
I'm late catching up on this one. We've done this idea here and totally, it is so hard to get anyone to write anything. It's been about a year or so and there might be 2 or 3 posts. So, yes, better to send a mass mailing WITH a topic and a deadline. If you get 3 writers with the same event, restaurant, whatever, post them all under a 'best of...' heading.
Bree said:
swirt said:
knkbnb said:
I believe it was mentioned on a BnB state association website as well, where no one wrote sqwat after they all agreed they wanted a blog for that same purpose. If it were me, I would take all the blog articles they are willing to write - give them suggested ideas and let them at them, then post them when you want to (ie leave them in draft mode til the date arrives for the post). Most innkeepers do not do what we do. Most are not involved in all this other stuff like those on this forum.

knkbnb said:
swirt said:
knkbnb said:
Bree said:
swirt said:
knkbnb said:
I believe it was mentioned on a BnB state association website as well, where no one wrote sqwat after they all agreed they wanted a blog for that same purpose. If it were me, I would take all the blog articles they are willing to write - give them suggested ideas and let them at them, then post them when you want to (ie leave them in draft mode til the date arrives for the post). Most innkeepers do not do what we do. Most are not involved in all this other stuff like those on this forum.
We sure do a lot of stuff and we do seem to be overachieving in that department!
teeth_smile.gif

We need a little smiley with running shoes.

knkbnb said:
swirt said:
knkbnb said:
Bree said:
swirt said:
knkbnb said:
We sure do a lot of stuff and we do seem to be overachieving in that department!
teeth_smile.gif

knkbnb said:
Yes! Good one!

Another potential problem with guest bloggers is that some people can't write well. Not that blogging requires great writing, it's not capital-L Literature and it doesn't have to be. And I don't mean spelling or grammar either. Some people simply can't string words and sentences together in a fashion that is easy for the reader to follow. Even coming from a guest blogger, it could reflect poorly on you.
You may want to consider interviewing these partners and fellow innkeepers and writing it yourself (takes more of your time, though). Or do it Q&A style, a la Reader's Digest. Email them the questions (mostly open-ended) and have them email it back to you with answers. That way you can direct the post to cover the things you want to get covered.

Back