new booking agent

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Iris

Reaction score
Hey now, I never thought I would maybe be interested in such a thing. Here, take a look and tell me if I should let that guy onto the property and if so, what do I watch out for? Please and thank you
"Ryan <rrhoadarm@exp edia.com>
Attachments5:35 PM (1 hour ago)
Hello,

My name is Ryan and I am Traverse City native who manages Michigan for Expedia. We are offering a really great new program for independent properties like yours that would allow you to put your property on our sites. Below and attached are details about the program, but I think this would be very beneficial to help gain exposure in the shoulder parts of your season. Please let me know if you have any questions and I look forward to hearing back from you! Also, I will be in your area next week and would love to meet in person.

Key benefits include:
• Free to List - No setup, listing, per booking or yearly fees
• Worldwide marketing, global exposure on Expe dia, Hote ls .com and Travel ocity
• Full control over rates, availability, inventory and blackout dates
• Customized site listing including content and pictures
• Direct payment from the Exp edia guests
• Extremely low commission once we book a guest for you

Thanks,
Ryan"

So in the tradition of this forum, I have hacked away at the names to not be detected ;)

What's their commission? Their idea of low may be different from yours.
How long does the low rate last?
If you change your mind does your property remain listed with a 'no availability at this time' plastered all over it so no one even bothers to call you?
How well does your property show up in searches right now? How will this company paying for AdWords on your name impact your direct bookings?

I had a call today from someone who was offering me a better booking engine than RezKey for only $49 per month. I kept my cool and did not laugh at him - just told him I am happy with what I have.

What's their commission? Their idea of low may be different from yours.
How long does the low rate last?
If you change your mind does your property remain listed with a 'no availability at this time' plastered all over it so no one even bothers to call you?
How well does your property show up in searches right now? How will this company paying for AdWords on your name impact your direct bookings?.
Thank you for this, Morticia. Exactly what I was looking for. I have no idea where the pitfalls are.
I probably won't take advantage of any booking agency, even though I could use help during the off season. Right now we have 3 months to make our money. Every now and again I think it would be nice to make a little extra and buy a Ferrari, hmmmm
wink_smile.gif

I had a call today from someone who was offering me a better booking engine than RezKey for only $49 per month. I kept my cool and did not laugh at him - just told him I am happy with what I have..
gillumhouse said:
I had a call today from someone who was offering me a better booking engine than RezKey for only $49 per month. I kept my cool and did not laugh at him - just told him I am happy with what I have.
Having had no experience whatsoever with any reservation system prior to taking your advice to go with Rezkey, I can only say, from where I sit, I will never change to a different one. The attention that John gives every question every day is priceless.

I have extensive experience with Expedia. Expedia does have a bed and breakfast area on their site. They are also incredibly useful to use. They give you exposure that you wouldn't otherwise have, and will probably increase the number of bookings that come into your hotel. In the United States, Expedia is the biggest online booker for all lodging, with Booking.com being the second biggest. I see no reason why you shouldn't let them come and look at your lodging, as they could really help you.
Now the further info I'm about to tell you was as of a month ago when I lost my job (they eliminated the Assistant General Manager position and had nowhere else to put me).
I severely doubt the "no fees" he claims. Expedia has three different fees associated with them and two formats of payment. There is Hotel Collect which means that the guest would pay the lodging directly with their own credit card. Hotel Collect is a 15% fee, and is usually used for things like Bed and Breakfasts and small hotels. Larger hotels will usually pay anywhere from 25-30% per booking. Of course, the chains (like Hilton) can get the 15% because they have so much power in the world, but B&B and small hotels don't have that power. There is also Expedia Collect which means the guest pays Expedia and their affiliates (Hotels.com is an Expedia site, among others). Think of their fee as paying a travel agents fee, only more expensive. The fees are usually worth it due to the massive amount of exposure Expedia gives lodging, though it depends on your break rate (the amount it costs for each room per night and includes rental/mortgage, water, electricity, supplies, and wages. Most hotels run around a $30 per night break rate, and it may be higher or lower depending on what you are using. Luxury will be higher cost), of course. Other than the cost for your break rate, there really is no reason not to use these online agencies.
Personally, I would suggest either Hotel Collect or Booking.com if you are going to use online websites. Both charge 15% so it's low and the exposure is incredibly good.
Since I am so doubtful about the "no fees", I highly suggest that you give Expedia a call and ask them who their local rep is so you can talk to them. If they give you his name, then you know he's legitimate. If they give you another name, then I suggest you not bother to talk to him.

I have extensive experience with Expedia. Expedia does have a bed and breakfast area on their site. They are also incredibly useful to use. They give you exposure that you wouldn't otherwise have, and will probably increase the number of bookings that come into your hotel. In the United States, Expedia is the biggest online booker for all lodging, with Booking.com being the second biggest. I see no reason why you shouldn't let them come and look at your lodging, as they could really help you.
Now the further info I'm about to tell you was as of a month ago when I lost my job (they eliminated the Assistant General Manager position and had nowhere else to put me).
I severely doubt the "no fees" he claims. Expedia has three different fees associated with them and two formats of payment. There is Hotel Collect which means that the guest would pay the lodging directly with their own credit card. Hotel Collect is a 15% fee, and is usually used for things like Bed and Breakfasts and small hotels. Larger hotels will usually pay anywhere from 25-30% per booking. Of course, the chains (like Hilton) can get the 15% because they have so much power in the world, but B&B and small hotels don't have that power. There is also Expedia Collect which means the guest pays Expedia and their affiliates (Hotels.com is an Expedia site, among others). Think of their fee as paying a travel agents fee, only more expensive. The fees are usually worth it due to the massive amount of exposure Expedia gives lodging, though it depends on your break rate (the amount it costs for each room per night and includes rental/mortgage, water, electricity, supplies, and wages. Most hotels run around a $30 per night break rate, and it may be higher or lower depending on what you are using. Luxury will be higher cost), of course. Other than the cost for your break rate, there really is no reason not to use these online agencies.
Personally, I would suggest either Hotel Collect or Booking.com if you are going to use online websites. Both charge 15% so it's low and the exposure is incredibly good.
Since I am so doubtful about the "no fees", I highly suggest that you give Expedia a call and ask them who their local rep is so you can talk to them. If they give you his name, then you know he's legitimate. If they give you another name, then I suggest you not bother to talk to him..
Your percentages are wrong and they a special program for B&Bs that started a few months ago. Contracts with them specifically forbid you from discussing percentages, but the new contract allows the customer choice of how payment is to be made.
There are plenty of reasons NOT to use these online agencies as well. Sure they are great and helpful at times, but when you can book to 100% occupancy without them, there is no reason to pay a commission.

I see a commission as a no lose situation. If they book you, you pay them. They earned it, right? If they don't book you, you don't pay them. You haven't lost a thing.
We tell our regulars to book direct. Other than that, the name of the game is heads in beds. As long as your room is booked, you made more money than if it had been empty.

Since I am so doubtful about the "no fees", I highly suggest that you give Expedia a call and ask them who their local rep is so you can talk to them. If they give you his name, then you know he's legitimate. If they give you another name, then I suggest you not bother to talk to him..
Thanks for all of your info, Melissa. I think I will tread lightly. We've done well without, we'll never get rich, I'd rather work my business on the more leisurely side then stress over filling October.

Thanks for all of your info, Melissa. I think I will tread lightly. We've done well without, we'll never get rich, I'd rather work my business on the more leisurely side then stress over filling October.
Iris said:
I'm feeling this way more and more. Less stress, more enjoyment.

Back