New Breakfast Items for 2012?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Samster

Reaction score
What new breakfast items (if any) do you have planned to try in 2012? After looking at some photos on B&B websites of delectable breakfast offerings, I was really impressed to see some things that looked simple and appealing. Like, apples seared on a clamshell grill, and breakfast "sliders". These more interesting breakfast offerings at B&B/inns are the kind of things that appeal to me as a former inn owner and frequent B&B guest. The second B in B&B is really important to me as part of the experience.
regular_smile.gif

Otherwise, I can have the breakfast boofay at one of the brand hotels.
embaressed_smile.gif

Thoughts?

We've been served the ubiquitous 'broiled half grapefruit' enough times in the past few months that we might just try it ourselves. We were told it is so good that guests forego their statins just so they can eat it. (Knowing my guests, however, they will just not eat it at all.) But, it's looking like it will be on the menu this year.
Crepes- savory & sweet.
Eggs bennie.
Where we are really changing things up is in the starter course. We've been dinged for using 'canned' fruit so we'll be dressing the bottled fruit up a bit so it passes muster. Guests who live in the land of fresh fruit don't seem to understand that not every location in the US has fresh fruit year round at affordable prices. Guests who never eat fruit for breakfast love the bottled stuff but they never say so online.

As a former "non-cook" breakfast offerings present one of my biggest challenges. I have found that some of the things I like to eat and can make are not the things that my guests like to eat (leaves me lots of left-overs). This week, after getting my corn pudding rejected for the umteenth time, I decided to try mixing sauteed onions, cream corn and sour cream with eggs and making a frittata. I liked the taste, and people don't expect corn in a frittata, so I'll see if this gets rejected as often.
I think the biggest disappointment in terms of what they'll eat was the rice casserole... Sour cream, orange juice, raisins, almonds, really yummy but often rejected. My guests seem to do best with scrambled eggs, french toast, potatoes.

We've been served the ubiquitous 'broiled half grapefruit' enough times in the past few months that we might just try it ourselves. We were told it is so good that guests forego their statins just so they can eat it. (Knowing my guests, however, they will just not eat it at all.) But, it's looking like it will be on the menu this year.
Crepes- savory & sweet.
Eggs bennie.
Where we are really changing things up is in the starter course. We've been dinged for using 'canned' fruit so we'll be dressing the bottled fruit up a bit so it passes muster. Guests who live in the land of fresh fruit don't seem to understand that not every location in the US has fresh fruit year round at affordable prices. Guests who never eat fruit for breakfast love the bottled stuff but they never say so online..
I just never liked a half a grapefruit presented to me no matter how it was prepared. I always used the "jarred" refrigerated grapefruit slices for our guests. I made a simple syrup and steeped a vanilla bean in it. Put the grapefruit pieces in the syrup overnight and YUMMMO! That is the only way will eat it. Even grapefruit haters seemed to enjoy it.
Of course you could slice up your own grapefruit and use it. I just never wanted to take the time to section it all out nice and neat :-(

As a former "non-cook" breakfast offerings present one of my biggest challenges. I have found that some of the things I like to eat and can make are not the things that my guests like to eat (leaves me lots of left-overs). This week, after getting my corn pudding rejected for the umteenth time, I decided to try mixing sauteed onions, cream corn and sour cream with eggs and making a frittata. I liked the taste, and people don't expect corn in a frittata, so I'll see if this gets rejected as often.
I think the biggest disappointment in terms of what they'll eat was the rice casserole... Sour cream, orange juice, raisins, almonds, really yummy but often rejected. My guests seem to do best with scrambled eggs, french toast, potatoes..
Innkeep said:
I think the biggest disappointment in terms of what they'll eat was the rice casserole... Sour cream, orange juice, raisins, almonds, really yummy but often rejected. My guests seem to do best with scrambled eggs, french toast, potatoes.
Knowing what YOUR guests will eat is the best thing to know! It doesn't matter what I serve or what anyone else serves if your guests wouldn't eat it. You serve what goes over best with your crowd and you'll be a lot happier!
We serve a 'what your mother made for you 50 years ago' kind of breakfast. (No, my mother never made eggs bennie!) Guests seem to like the no frills breakfast best. Our crowd has a lot of folks watching what they eat and a lot of guys who have never had anything but cereal or eggs & bacon for breakfast. Serving them something wildly over the top would not fly.
We test run breakfast and if it flops, it never shows up again. We might try it once more if we had a really picky crowd on test morning.

Crepes- savory & sweet.
Eggs bennie.
Where we are really changing things up is in the starter course. We've been dinged for using 'canned' fruit so we'll be dressing the bottled fruit up a bit so it passes muster. Guests who live in the land of fresh fruit don't seem to understand that not every location in the US has fresh fruit year round at affordable prices. Guests who never eat fruit for breakfast love the bottled stuff but they never say so online..
I just never liked a half a grapefruit presented to me no matter how it was prepared. I always used the "jarred" refrigerated grapefruit slices for our guests. I made a simple syrup and steeped a vanilla bean in it. Put the grapefruit pieces in the syrup overnight and YUMMMO! That is the only way will eat it. Even grapefruit haters seemed to enjoy it.
Of course you could slice up your own grapefruit and use it. I just never wanted to take the time to section it all out nice and neat :-(
We have avoided grapefruit for about 2 years because so many guests left it. If it was mixed in with something else, they wouldn't touch the whole dish. So, that said, not really sure why we would even bother with the broiled grapefruit at this point. Seems like a really big waste in the long run.

Crepes- savory & sweet.
Eggs bennie.
We have avoided grapefruit for about 2 years because so many guests left it. If it was mixed in with something else, they wouldn't touch the whole dish. So, that said, not really sure why we would even bother with the broiled grapefruit at this point. Seems like a really big waste in the long run.
Madeleine said:
I usually don't serve it for the same reason - too many people leave it. I might try it in an arrangement like this one: Winter Fruit Salad. I would have just a few grapefruit sections and maybe some clementine sections, so people who don't eat grapefruit can just leave it.
Now, about breakfast changes. When I've been to other B&Bs and seeing these recipes, I feel like we're serving way too much in our fruit servings, which runs up our costs quite a bit. I want to look at that for an area to make changes this year but I don't want to be chintzy. What do people think about that? Is a fruit serving like the linked recipe enough (that's about 1/3 to 1/2 of what I usually serve)?

Crepes- savory & sweet.
Eggs bennie.
Madeleine said:
I usually don't serve it for the same reason - too many people leave it. I might try it in an arrangement like this one: Winter Fruit Salad. I would have just a few grapefruit sections and maybe some clementine sections, so people who don't eat grapefruit can just leave it.
Now, about breakfast changes. When I've been to other B&Bs and seeing these recipes, I feel like we're serving way too much in our fruit servings, which runs up our costs quite a bit. I want to look at that for an area to make changes this year but I don't want to be chintzy. What do people think about that? Is a fruit serving like the linked recipe enough (that's about 1/3 to 1/2 of what I usually serve)?
The way it is served it looks chintzy. It needs to be in a smaller dish with the fruit cut up in bite-sized pieces so it looks like more. If you put it on top of a leaf of spinach or mesclun mix with a drizzle of balsamic it would be fine.
We went to smaller serving dishes so it looks like more.
In my experience, some people have been scared witless by their dr's so they avoid anything that came in touch with a slice of grapefruit. They leave the whole fruit course. The really bad ones won't consider picking out the grapefruit, they won't touch it at all.
I guess I've talked myself out of the broiled grapefruit. We can't eat it so it would go to waste. (That said, we have eaten it in the past few months and we didn't die.)
Looking at this photo I would say we serve twice that amount as well. We've seen about this serving size in the places we have stayed recently, so my take is we're serving too much. How to cut back? Add yogurt and granola. A 6 oz plain yogurt goes a looooong way and a tbsp of granola is plenty on top of the fruit and yogurt.
If you serve the fruit on plates, get creative with the plate garnishes. A little drizzle of raspberry puree makes a big statement. (So says me.
embaressed_smile.gif
) This is how I spread the wealth when it's my turn to plate the starter course. We get 16 slices from a loaf of banana bread and I make it look like more with the garnishment. (I thought I had a photo on the blog but I don't.)
Who knows, maybe with the revelation that Ms Deen is a diabetic, we might get folks interested in less is more!

I had a delicious Spinach Eggs Bennie at a local restaurant recently. Toasted english muffin, piled with bagged spinach, poached egg on top of that all topped with the bennie sauce. It was wonderful!!!!

Crepes- savory & sweet.
Eggs bennie.
Madeleine said:
Jeanne, I like the idea of that Winter Fruit Salad, but it seems to be a little too blah looking (or needs a few more pom seeds for color). I agree with Maddie that the plating presentation isn't the best either. If your entree is a reasonable size, I think that starter would be fine.

Crepes- savory & sweet.
Eggs bennie.
Crepes were a big hit here...especially chocolate crepes in February!
tounge_smile.gif
I think your guests will love them.
Some kind of "gourmet" breakfast taco or burrito isn't too different either and folks seemed to like them when I did them here, with the other courses complementing the flavors. At least people are familiar with them because of Mickey D's. hahaha.... I would have loved to try blue corn tortillas here, but that would have been pushing it.

Pecan Pie in a muffin.
Preparation Instructions
Preheat oven 350 F.
Grease your muffin pan (whatever size) or use the silicone cups. I grease my silicone muffin cups with Crisco or lard.
In a medium bowl, stir together brown sugar, flour and pecans. In a separate bowl, beat the butter and eggs together until smooth. Stir into the dry ingredients just until combined. Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups. Cups should be about 2/3 full. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Cool on wire racks when done. Option: when you take them out of the oven, place a slice of butter on top and eat warm. You may also use walnuts instead of pecans.
Ingredients
1 cup Packed Light Brown Sugar
½ cups All-purpose Flour
1 cup Chopped Pecans
⅔ cups Softened Butter
2 whole Eggs beaten
This sounds good, hope to try it soon. Our guest are foodies and love trying new things. I am lucky that way. It makes for interesting breakfasts . I have collected many new recipes to try this year. I am going to try wraps made with tomatoes and avocado bacon and scramble eggs. Trying new ways to do eggs bennies, with different sauces and trying to mlx up the main ingredients.

Crepes- savory & sweet.
Eggs bennie.
Madeleine said:
Sorry if someone presented that fruit plate to me at breakfast I would think "cheesy" and "cheap" :-(

Pecan Pie in a muffin.
Preparation Instructions
Preheat oven 350 F.
Grease your muffin pan (whatever size) or use the silicone cups. I grease my silicone muffin cups with Crisco or lard.
In a medium bowl, stir together brown sugar, flour and pecans. In a separate bowl, beat the butter and eggs together until smooth. Stir into the dry ingredients just until combined. Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups. Cups should be about 2/3 full. Bake for 20 to 25 minutes. Cool on wire racks when done. Option: when you take them out of the oven, place a slice of butter on top and eat warm. You may also use walnuts instead of pecans.
Ingredients
½ cups All-purpose Flour
1 cup Chopped Pecans
⅔ cups Softened Butter
2 whole Eggs beaten
This sounds good, hope to try it soon. Our guest are foodies and love trying new things. I am lucky that way. It makes for interesting breakfasts . I have collected many new recipes to try this year. I am going to try wraps made with tomatoes and avocado bacon and scramble eggs. Trying new ways to do eggs bennies, with different sauces and trying to mlx up the main ingredients..
I made the Pecan Pie Muffins often and the recipe was requested so much that I had oversized postcars made up with the recipe on it to give to guests at check-out. Big hit! Hope your guests llike them, too.

For us Smoothies have been a hit here at this Inn-also we have a standard Poached Pear and Cranberries -also Spiced cooked peaches (people have almost licked the bowls) really simple and not too expensive if you can find pears on sale and good for like 2-6 people. We also do a strawberries (when they are in season) that they love: Rocotta & Balsamic Strawberries with fresh Basil-yea the basil is kind of funny but people say-wow what is that? mint? nope its basil they are surprised, if you don't have basil its good without it...just some of our starters-
I believe that if you have a good starter people tend to believe that you will have a good entree-we do the same thing if alot comes back on the plate we dont serve that again, but then you never really know cause sometimes we serve the same thing to different people and they love it...it just depends on who the guests are.

For us Smoothies have been a hit here at this Inn-also we have a standard Poached Pear and Cranberries -also Spiced cooked peaches (people have almost licked the bowls) really simple and not too expensive if you can find pears on sale and good for like 2-6 people. We also do a strawberries (when they are in season) that they love: Rocotta & Balsamic Strawberries with fresh Basil-yea the basil is kind of funny but people say-wow what is that? mint? nope its basil they are surprised, if you don't have basil its good without it...just some of our starters-
I believe that if you have a good starter people tend to believe that you will have a good entree-we do the same thing if alot comes back on the plate we dont serve that again, but then you never really know cause sometimes we serve the same thing to different people and they love it...it just depends on who the guests are..
Birdwatcher, tell me more about the spiced peaches, please.

Pecan Pie in a muffin.
Preparation Instructions
Preheat oven 350 F.
Ingredients
½ cups All-purpose Flour
1 cup Chopped Pecans
⅔ cups Softened Butter
2 whole Eggs beaten
This sounds good, hope to try it soon. Our guest are foodies and love trying new things. I am lucky that way. It makes for interesting breakfasts . I have collected many new recipes to try this year. I am going to try wraps made with tomatoes and avocado bacon and scramble eggs. Trying new ways to do eggs bennies, with different sauces and trying to mlx up the main ingredients..
I use to do the pecan pie muffins alot. Everyone liked them and wanted the recipe. Not sure why I stopped. But I made them as mini muffins and liked them best. Tried regular size and they just didn't seem to come out as well. Maybe I will start using them again....

Back