New Credit Card Machine

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sandynn

Reaction score
I was wondering what anyone is going to do this fall when we have to have a new machine. My CC card company sent me a contract to sign and they think I am going to lease a new machine. I have never leased a machine. We were told at the very beginning to buy ours, we did and are very glad we did. I told my company I might go with the square and of course they said oh no don't do that it won't be secure and MC and Visa might fine people that use them after October. I am not sure I believe it. If I won't lease they said they could give me a good deal for being with them so long. To buy the machine would be $800. I don't think so. What is everyone else going to do? Just wondering any thought.

If you want to stick with having a machine ask your company what machine is acceptable then buy it elsewhere. They may upcharge to install the proper coding so ask about that, too.
We bought ours last year, about $500 programmed for our company. The machine is less unprogrammed and it turned out I had to spend hours on the phone with them trying to make it work. I think they sent a blank one but charged us for a programmed one.
We're still not able to accept chipped cards so I'm pretty annoyed about that.
If you've been with them there should be no contract.

If you want to stick with having a machine ask your company what machine is acceptable then buy it elsewhere. They may upcharge to install the proper coding so ask about that, too.
We bought ours last year, about $500 programmed for our company. The machine is less unprogrammed and it turned out I had to spend hours on the phone with them trying to make it work. I think they sent a blank one but charged us for a programmed one.
If you've been with them there should be no contract..
The only issue I had with my new "chip and pin" Discover, was with Wal-Mart. After trying to slide it, they had me stick in front of the card device in a special slot??? Considering they are the biggest, that was a surprise.
Everyone else - Dollar Tree, RiteAid, Target, etc etc had me slide it the normal way
But no one yet has asked for the PIN, so not sure what the value and the fuss is yet. Seems identical to what we always did...

hmmm, we bought our machine 2 years ago and it is programmed to take the chip. I was, just yesterday, assured that nothing will change for us and our machine. This better be true for the ver i fone V X 520

The only issue I had with my new "chip and pin" Discover, was with Wal-Mart. After trying to slide it, they had me stick in front of the card device in a special slot??? Considering they are the biggest, that was a surprise.
Everyone else - Dollar Tree, RiteAid, Target, etc etc had me slide it the normal way
But no one yet has asked for the PIN, so not sure what the value and the fuss is yet. Seems identical to what we always did...
WallyWorld is correct, you put it into the slot. You don't slide it. WallyWorld is the only only place in the US that I have to use my C&P card.
US cards are generally going to be Chip & Sign for the moment, because... well, why would you want to actually implement the most secure part of the protocol. All my cards are C&P and any company that didn't offer it to me... wasn't given their card back.

undersea said:
Wally World is doing it right. The others are not. They are not set up for C&P if they are telling you to slide the card. The slide reads the mag stripe on the back. The C&P card goes into the slot at the front of the machine to be read.

hmmm, we bought our machine 2 years ago and it is programmed to take the chip. I was, just yesterday, assured that nothing will change for us and our machine. This better be true for the ver i fone V X 520.
Iris said:
hmmm, we bought our machine 2 years ago and it is programmed to take the chip. I was, just yesterday, assured that nothing will change for us and our machine. This better be true for the ver i fone V X 520
Have you actually tested it to see if it works? The machine may have the slot to accept the card but it has to be programmed to read it. Otherwise it does nothing when you put the card in.

undersea said:
Wally World is doing it right. The others are not. They are not set up for C&P if they are telling you to slide the card. The slide reads the mag stripe on the back. The C&P card goes into the slot at the front of the machine to be read.
Makes sense. Except Wally didn't ask me to put in a PIN, so I was somewhat puzzled. It was only my 2nd transaction on that Discover.

undersea said:
Makes sense. Except Wally didn't ask me to put in a PIN, so I was somewhat puzzled. It was only my 2nd transaction on that Discover.
undersea said:
Maybe the amount was under the threshold? I don't even know the pin to the card we have.

I hate when the CC companies get this wrong.... mistakenly or intentionally.
There are two things happening by the 1st of October...
  1. They (not you) must be able to process using the chip. Any processor who is incapable of processing with the chip, may lose their right to be a processor.
  2. A liability shift in regards to counterfeit cards. If your terminal processes both chip and mag stripe, nothing changes. If your terminal only processes via mag stripe and you get a counterfeit transaction (fake card, deny that they used the card), you are liable instead of Visa/MC. (If the card has a chip, you must process with the chip unless the system tells you "swipe allowed".)
There is an exception, fuel processing and ATM transactions are October 2017 instead of 2015.
So, if you don't have a terminal that accept chips, and you process a transaction on a fraudulent number or with a fake card or the user denies the transaction, you don't get paid. This will apply to everyone.
3050.jpg
One thing you NEED to think about. For EMV (chip) transactions, you do not touch the card. You hand them a handset that has a slot for them to put in their card. Take a look at the photo, there is no place to swipe the card... because the card goes into the slot. (They still hand you the card if they have no chip). They see the amount and they have to agree to the amount (it then asks about tips, if you have that configured.) And if they are C&P, like we are, it will then ask us for our pin. So, you might want to think about where you are putting your terminal or if you want one of the more expensive terminals like the IWL220 which has short range wireless (bluetooth) so you can take the terminal to the guest.
Incidentally, how you process will change as well. You will likely need to press 1 for sale, then enter the amount and then have the guest put the card in or then swipe the card. You cannot swipe first! The system change to approval of the amount by the guest.
One other important change... the chip proves that the card was present, 100% of the time. So if they deny the charge, saying it wasn't their card, unless they actually went to the cops and reported their card stolen, they will lose 100% of the time and Visa/MC may charge them with fraud. The chip has more information on it than the mag stripe and they will be able to confirm that the card was present.

undersea said:
US cards are Chip & Sign for the most part. Some companies are implementing Chip & PIN but most are opting out of the security protocol (until Visa/MC force them.)

hmmm, we bought our machine 2 years ago and it is programmed to take the chip. I was, just yesterday, assured that nothing will change for us and our machine. This better be true for the ver i fone V X 520.
Iris said:
Have you actually tested it to see if it works? The machine may have the slot to accept the card but it has to be programmed to read it. Otherwise it does nothing when you put the card in.
Morticia said:
Iris said:
I will go and check it right now. and.....it does not work. I better talk to my guy at the bank.

If you want to still use a machine, go to Tom Weiskotten. I've used him for years and he specializes in b&bs. I can buy the machine from him for approx. $300.00 He has good rates on processing and is there if there are any problems. He's saved my arse a few times over the years. I also have auth.net through him that integrates with ResKey.

undersea said:
undersea said:
Maybe the amount was under the threshold? I don't even know the pin to the card we have.
Dunno. WalMart has never required a signature for under $50. Now with this, who knows...?

WallyWorld is correct, you put it into the slot. You don't slide it. WallyWorld is the only only place in the US that I have to use my C&P card.
US cards are generally going to be Chip & Sign for the moment, because... well, why would you want to actually implement the most secure part of the protocol. All my cards are C&P and any company that didn't offer it to me... wasn't given their card back.
I have a feeling that even if using PINs, a lot of Americans would be blank if one was requested. I probably got a PIN with this replacement card, but I assume I picked something I would remember. Not get prompted for it, so not worried about it yet.

I have a feeling that even if using PINs, a lot of Americans would be blank if one was requested. I probably got a PIN with this replacement card, but I assume I picked something I would remember. Not get prompted for it, so not worried about it yet.
If it was set for chip & pin and you would know very quickly.... it wouldn't process without it and the card would be locked.

How many use Square and do you think this is going to be safe? Also will the Square accept chipped cards?

How many use Square and do you think this is going to be safe? Also will the Square accept chipped cards?.
When we ordered our Square reader, we also ordered the Square chip reader. It came in a couple of weeks after our regular reader. It has a swipe and a chip reader combined. Works well. It costs $29.99.

How many use Square and do you think this is going to be safe? Also will the Square accept chipped cards?.
When we ordered our Square reader, we also ordered the Square chip reader. It came in a couple of weeks after our regular reader. It has a swipe and a chip reader combined. Works well. It costs $29.99.
Thank you for this reminder. Silly me was thinking SQUARE would tell us when the chip reader was available (I did get one that they were working on one). Thanks to you, I have now ordered one.

Another question if you use the Square what if you have a charge back or make a mistake in the number you put in? Who helps you and how quick can you talk to someone?

Back