New Credit Card Machine

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
If you want to stick with having a machine ask your company what machine is acceptable then buy it elsewhere. They may upcharge to install the proper coding so ask about that, too.
We bought ours last year, about $500 programmed for our company. The machine is less unprogrammed and it turned out I had to spend hours on the phone with them trying to make it work. I think they sent a blank one but charged us for a programmed one.
We're still not able to accept chipped cards so I'm pretty annoyed about that.
If you've been with them there should be no contract..
The only issue I had with my new "chip and pin" Discover, was with Wal-Mart. After trying to slide it, they had me stick in front of the card device in a special slot??? Considering they are the biggest, that was a surprise.
Everyone else - Dollar Tree, RiteAid, Target, etc etc had me slide it the normal way
But no one yet has asked for the PIN, so not sure what the value and the fuss is yet. Seems identical to what we always did...
WallyWorld is correct, you put it into the slot. You don't slide it. WallyWorld is the only only place in the US that I have to use my C&P card.
US cards are generally going to be Chip & Sign for the moment, because... well, why would you want to actually implement the most secure part of the protocol. All my cards are C&P and any company that didn't offer it to me... wasn't given their card back.
I have a feeling that even if using PINs, a lot of Americans would be blank if one was requested. I probably got a PIN with this replacement card, but I assume I picked something I would remember. Not get prompted for it, so not worried about it yet.
If it was set for chip & pin and you would know very quickly.... it wouldn't process without it and the card would be locked.
Since the purpose was to enter a PIN, I guess I am surprised that it is not already requiring PINS. Otherwise, why bother?

How many use Square and do you think this is going to be safe? Also will the Square accept chipped cards?.
Another question if you use the Square what if you have a charge back or make a mistake in the number you put in? Who helps you and how quick can you talk to someone?
You can't make an error with a CC number, it automatically checks itself. I think Square says they cover up to $250 in chargebacks per month. They are only open from Monday through Friday, 6am–6pm PDT. Otherwise all the help you are going to get is on their website.

If you want to stick with having a machine ask your company what machine is acceptable then buy it elsewhere. They may upcharge to install the proper coding so ask about that, too.
We bought ours last year, about $500 programmed for our company. The machine is less unprogrammed and it turned out I had to spend hours on the phone with them trying to make it work. I think they sent a blank one but charged us for a programmed one.
The only issue I had with my new "chip and pin" Discover, was with Wal-Mart. After trying to slide it, they had me stick in front of the card device in a special slot??? Considering they are the biggest, that was a surprise.
Everyone else - Dollar Tree, RiteAid, Target, etc etc had me slide it the normal way
But no one yet has asked for the PIN, so not sure what the value and the fuss is yet. Seems identical to what we always did...
WallyWorld is correct, you put it into the slot. You don't slide it. WallyWorld is the only only place in the US that I have to use my C&P card.
US cards are generally going to be Chip & Sign for the moment, because... well, why would you want to actually implement the most secure part of the protocol. All my cards are C&P and any company that didn't offer it to me... wasn't given their card back.
I have a feeling that even if using PINs, a lot of Americans would be blank if one was requested. I probably got a PIN with this replacement card, but I assume I picked something I would remember. Not get prompted for it, so not worried about it yet.
If it was set for chip & pin and you would know very quickly.... it wouldn't process without it and the card would be locked.
Since the purpose was to enter a PIN, I guess I am surprised that it is not already requiring PINS. Otherwise, why bother?
It's a stupidity. Not only does it nullify the most important security feature, but it also means that your card, while finally having the chip needed to use automated systems, won't be able to, because you don't have a pin.
Speak to your bank and ask them why they are so stupid.

My read: You will all need to accept chip cards ("EMV) after October or deal with unpleasant liabilities. If Square can't read chips, there will be trouble; expect it to change.
We expect our new EMV compliant machine to be here in a few days. Purchase price <$150.

How many use Square and do you think this is going to be safe? Also will the Square accept chipped cards?.
Another question if you use the Square what if you have a charge back or make a mistake in the number you put in? Who helps you and how quick can you talk to someone?
sandynn said:
Sandynn, I am guessing you mean you put in the wrong amount to process. If it was more than what was owed you can enter a refund of the difference. (ie - you entered $100 when it should have been $10, refund $90) There unfortunately is no void with Square. The only recourse is refund.

They recently started a call center, it use to be all online only. The center is available 6am-6pm Pacific time M-F if I remember correctly.
I just called them this past Monday. Very helpful. You must have your merchant number to call. You get this number when you hit the tab to call them.

I'm on the list for Square's chip card reader, due out this fall. You can sign up online.

When we ordered our Square reader, we also ordered the Square chip reader. It came in a couple of weeks after our regular reader. It has a swipe and a chip reader combined. Works well. It costs $29.99.
Well heck, where is mine (hmmmm)

I have been using Square for about three years now. I have never had a problem with it so far. Have not had a charge back in 10 years so I don't know how that would work. I did just receive my new plug in chip reader last month. It is working great. It also accepts magnetic strip cards if I have a customer that only has the magnetic strip. In the fall Square is coming out with another chip reader that will be wireless and will also accept ApplePay. They are sending the new reader to me free when it comes.

I have been using Square for about three years now. I have never had a problem with it so far. Have not had a charge back in 10 years so I don't know how that would work. I did just receive my new plug in chip reader last month. It is working great. It also accepts magnetic strip cards if I have a customer that only has the magnetic strip. In the fall Square is coming out with another chip reader that will be wireless and will also accept ApplePay. They are sending the new reader to me free when it comes..
I can't understand Square. Here, where almost everyone has a chip card and it's needed... I can't get a chip reader from them!

This morning I saw another mobile processor that compares itself to Square - as better. (in my FB feed) They state swipe at 2.25% (all but AMEX which is 2.9%(?) )
They claim to have been in processing business for 20+yrs.
So I click to check them out. They brag about having a larger swipe reader - easier to use.. blah,,,
Their site leaves a lot unanswered but they have a 24hr chat...
I take my questions to the chat. I ask how long it takes to get funds to my account - 2 business days
I ask about when they will be coming out with the Chip reader and if their will be a charge for it. (this after stating the new rules in processing beginning in Oct.)
She replies that there are no changes in affect with their processing, no new readers in the works.
whatchutalkingabout_smile.gif

We have the new Square chip reader -- it didn't work with my old, old android phone (which I needed to upgrade anyway), but it works fine now with a new phone. There is a list buried on their site somewhere of compatible phones and tablets (I think almost all "5" and "6" generation devices will work).
The new Square device is bigger than the original one, and has a battery that has to be charged periodically.
Square also has another new device in the works that will work with contact-less forms of payment (e.g. ApplePay) as well as chip and strip cards -- now available on pre-order, it is $50 but Square will reimburse you that in fees over the first three months you are using it (unfortunately that doesn't help us because it won't be out until the fall, by which time we will be shut down for the winter....:-(

We have been using Squ are for about three years, and glad we changed. I've been keeping current on the EMV transition and we bought the new reader ($29; actually bought two to have a back-up). We have pre-ordered the combination NFC (Near Field Communication) and EMV reader as well.
As soon as we got the new reader, we ran every card that has a chip that way, rather than swipe. Many guests say "oh that's the first time anyone has run the card that way - how does that work?"
It's still a learning curve for us and guests, but I'm glad that we ditched our cc processor years ago. Simple transactions. We've issued refunds as needed with no problems. It is as secure as any other processor, and once October rolls around and the liability for fraudulent use shifts to me, I'm confident that Squ are is going to be secure.
My two cents' worth ...

Thanks to everyone. This has been a big help..
I use Square with an old iPad. After dinner, three guests wanted to split their final bill evenly amongst the three of them. No problem. Just entered each amount and had them run their cards through the swipes and sign right there at the table. They hadn't seen the Square system before. They were from a Scandinavian country.
love the convenience and that the card never leaves their sight. In most cases, never leaves their hand.

undersea said:
Wally World is doing it right. The others are not. They are not set up for C&P if they are telling you to slide the card. The slide reads the mag stripe on the back. The C&P card goes into the slot at the front of the machine to be read.
Makes sense. Except Wally didn't ask me to put in a PIN, so I was somewhat puzzled. It was only my 2nd transaction on that Discover.
Simply put, Americans are used to slide machines (and signing) and therefore the new chip cards will be chip and signature for awhile. If a chip reader machine is available and operational (like your experience at WM), your chip card should be used the correct way. Eventually, the U.S. will go to chip and pin like many other countries and have the full benefit of the added security that's on the chip.

Interesting info (at least to me)
I have been using Squ are for some time now but had not completely broken away from my traditional processor/machine using them a few times each month.
Today was the breakaway day. What a complete hassle. I felt I was being conned.
This all started as the last time I attempted to process a card, the machine would not connect to their system via phone line. I could hear (when picking up the phone) the transmission sound my machine was sending, but it never communicated. When I called they said it was my outdated machine & I needed a new one. Tried to put me to sales but I hung up.
FF back to today. They heard I was going to mobile processing and asked if I had heard about their mobile processing.... this after first wanting me to buy (or lease) a new chip/pin machine.
I was transferred and listened to the mobile processing spiel. Their readers are not chip/pin ready, they gave a 2017 date the gov has allowed for mobile processing (same for gas pumps - btw). With all the fees I decided that Sq are still seemed to handle my needs better. I opted to still cancel.
After many additional security questions, some I could not answer they stated I would have to call back. Interestingly enough all the data I could provide was not enough - this including my FULL SS# when I am sure that they should only have the last 4 visible for any worker bee to see there.
Finally demanded a supervisor and then boom, was given a cancellation confirmation. This all only took 2 hours out of my day. What a pain. And now I will find how to report them. Too much of my personal data is available to the ave working bee.

Interesting info (at least to me)
I have been using Squ are for some time now but had not completely broken away from my traditional processor/machine using them a few times each month.
Today was the breakaway day. What a complete hassle. I felt I was being conned.
This all started as the last time I attempted to process a card, the machine would not connect to their system via phone line. I could hear (when picking up the phone) the transmission sound my machine was sending, but it never communicated. When I called they said it was my outdated machine & I needed a new one. Tried to put me to sales but I hung up.
FF back to today. They heard I was going to mobile processing and asked if I had heard about their mobile processing.... this after first wanting me to buy (or lease) a new chip/pin machine.
I was transferred and listened to the mobile processing spiel. Their readers are not chip/pin ready, they gave a 2017 date the gov has allowed for mobile processing (same for gas pumps - btw). With all the fees I decided that Sq are still seemed to handle my needs better. I opted to still cancel.
After many additional security questions, some I could not answer they stated I would have to call back. Interestingly enough all the data I could provide was not enough - this including my FULL SS# when I am sure that they should only have the last 4 visible for any worker bee to see there.
Finally demanded a supervisor and then boom, was given a cancellation confirmation. This all only took 2 hours out of my day. What a pain. And now I will find how to report them. Too much of my personal data is available to the ave working bee..
Yea, I see no reason to use a traditional CC processor any more. Between Square, Paypal, etc. - it seems to cover the in person or online CC needs for the average small lodging owner.
I plan to make a few payment methods available once website is live. There are some alternatives to Paypal that I might consider. ACH, etc. Even thinking Bitcoin at some point in the future. Barter, not so likely...

I am an International Business Consultant helping businesses avoid unwanted penalties by becoming compliant by October 2015. https://paulaoneal.shopacnrep.com/en/for-your-business/merchant-services.aspx
2 Major Shifts in U.S. Payment Processing have created a huge opportunity to grow your business:
Over 9 million U.S. merchants do not currently meet the EMV Data Security Regulations that require merchants to support secure chip technology credit and debit cards.
86% of merchants in the U.S. and Canada will support Mobile Wallet payments by 2017 to respond to a huge increase in consumer demand.
This means merchants are required to upgrade their equipment and are therefore open to considering a new provider.
My company Anovia Has the Solution!
Anovia offers point of sale equipment that accepts BOTH safer (EMV) and easier (Mobile Wallet) payments:
By October 2015, all merchants are required to support secure chip cards. Any merchant without this will be liable for any fraudulent purchases.
I offer my customers the ability to accept payments with Apple Pay or Google Wallet.

Anovia provides payment solutions for independent contractors, retail/shopping, hospitality and restaurant services and online sales merchants.
With an improved sales process, customers can Click to Call or Click to Chat and Anovia will take care of the rest.
AND...Anovia will GUARANTEE savings or they will give you a $100 Visa Gift Card!
Call me (Paula Wood) 301-523-4493 or Click the link to learn more information and to submitt your basic information for a free comparison report https://paulaoneal.shopacnrep.com/en/for-your-business/merchant-services.aspx
If we are't able to save you money, we will send you a $100 Visa Gift Card!

I am an International Business Consultant helping businesses avoid unwanted penalties by becoming compliant by October 2015. https://paulaoneal.shopacnrep.com/en/for-your-business/merchant-services.aspx
2 Major Shifts in U.S. Payment Processing have created a huge opportunity to grow your business:
Over 9 million U.S. merchants do not currently meet the EMV Data Security Regulations that require merchants to support secure chip technology credit and debit cards.
86% of merchants in the U.S. and Canada will support Mobile Wallet payments by 2017 to respond to a huge increase in consumer demand.
This means merchants are required to upgrade their equipment and are therefore open to considering a new provider.
Anovia offers point of sale equipment that accepts BOTH safer (EMV) and easier (Mobile Wallet) payments:
By October 2015, all merchants are required to support secure chip cards. Any merchant without this will be liable for any fraudulent purchases.
I offer my customers the ability to accept payments with Apple Pay or Google Wallet.

Anovia provides payment solutions for independent contractors, retail/shopping, hospitality and restaurant services and online sales merchants.
With an improved sales process, customers can Click to Call or Click to Chat and Anovia will take care of the rest.
AND...Anovia will GUARANTEE savings or they will give you a $100 Visa Gift Card!
Call me (Paula Wood) 301-523-4493 or Click the link to learn more information and to submitt your basic information for a free comparison report https://paulaoneal.shopacnrep.com/en/for-your-business/merchant-services.aspx
If we are't able to save you money, we will send you a $100 Visa Gift Card!.
Ah... Multilevel Marketing has discovered our little corner of the world. Of course then we have to recruit others who recruit others, who recruit others....

If we are't able to save you money, we will send you a $100 Visa Gift Card!.
Ah... Multilevel Marketing has discovered our little corner of the world. Of course then we have to recruit others who recruit others, who recruit others....
Hi Jon! Not the case with this. I'm here because my friend owns a Bed and Breakfast and Anovia has helped her save on processing fees and she asked me to share with others. Anovia is a service that is offered to Businesses (my own included - Film Business) to help merchants save money on credit card processing fees. No recruiting involved with this...you will simply become a customer with a better service provider if you choose.
Cheers!

Back