New digital camera

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Morticia

Reaction score
OK, if I'm going to be in the store looking at new laptops, I may as well look for a new digital camera as well. Any suggestions for a good camera for all around usage? Of course I will need it for indoor shots for the inn, but I will also want to use it on vacation.
I see a lot of different models when I take pix for guests. I guess one with a large viewing screen format, slimline, altho a nice '35mm' style would be good, too. I may get back into photography in my next life.

I like my Sony Cybershot DSC-H2. Got it in 06. Saw one recently and it looked as if they have made the screen bigger (like that). This one has all sorts of settings and can be movie. I bought a second set of batteries that I keep charged and in the fanny pack I use as camera case. I get great shots on auto when shooting motorcycles for DH. The focus is sharp all around the ancilary area as well as the "in the box" area.
Edited to add - it is not slimline. DH just got a Nikon that is so small he can keep in his pocket and operate it with his one good hand (left) - and that is not easy! It is slimline.

If you are thinking about photography in your next life, look at the digital SLR cameras. This is kind of my plan as well plus I wanted to take the web photos instead of paying a pro. I bought a Nikon D90. A hefty investment but it sure do take purdy pictures. I have a lot to learn about it.

If you are not going the route of a D SLR, I just purchased a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5 a few months back. It has a 10x optical Zoom on a Leica lense (a good name in lenses). The lens is wide angle and can shoot in true 16x9 format (most cameras are 4x3)
It has a lot of powerful features if you need them. It has a big enough lens that it takes great pics, but it is still small enough to fit in a pocket ... though not a mini like my old cannon elph.

If you are thinking about photography in your next life, look at the digital SLR cameras. This is kind of my plan as well plus I wanted to take the web photos instead of paying a pro. I bought a Nikon D90. A hefty investment but it sure do take purdy pictures. I have a lot to learn about it..
rrh said:
If you are thinking about photography in your next life, look at the digital SLR cameras. This is kind of my plan as well plus I wanted to take the web photos instead of paying a pro. I bought a Nikon D90. A hefty investment but it sure do take purdy pictures. I have a lot to learn about it.
Go Nikon DSLR!

If you are not going the route of a D SLR, I just purchased a Panasonic Lumix DMC-TZ5 a few months back. It has a 10x optical Zoom on a Leica lense (a good name in lenses). The lens is wide angle and can shoot in true 16x9 format (most cameras are 4x3)
It has a lot of powerful features if you need them. It has a big enough lens that it takes great pics, but it is still small enough to fit in a pocket ... though not a mini like my old cannon elph..
I'll second that recommendation. I have the previous model, and my in-laws also have the TZ5. Good all around camera at that price point, with a really nice zoom.

If you are thinking about photography in your next life, look at the digital SLR cameras. This is kind of my plan as well plus I wanted to take the web photos instead of paying a pro. I bought a Nikon D90. A hefty investment but it sure do take purdy pictures. I have a lot to learn about it..
rrh said:
Go Nikon DSLR!
Yes that is a wonderful camera..but for me...it is too big to lug around. I wanted something I could fit in my purse easily. I got the a Nikon CoolPix.P 50.. I really like it. Of course I am sure there is another model to replace it by now:)

rrh said:
Go Nikon DSLR!
Yes that is a wonderful camera..but for me...it is too big to lug around. I wanted something I could fit in my purse easily. I got the a Nikon CoolPix.P 50.. I really like it. Of course I am sure there is another model to replace it by now:)
catlady said:
Have to admit I still have my 8 megapixel point and shoot with video capacity. It is a toss in your backpack camera. But I love the DSLR, it is incentive to blog!

rrh said:
Go Nikon DSLR!
catlady said:
Have to admit I still have my 8 megapixel point and shoot with video capacity. It is a toss in your backpack camera. But I love the DSLR, it is incentive to blog!
I see that they now have a Nikon P6000 which is 13.5 megapixels!!! Small and compact as well. Drooolling here.

Before I bought the DSLR we went through a number of point and shoots. The first ones we bought were the priceyer Nikon Cool Pixs. They would break and be unrepairable and have to buy a new one. Over the years, for us and the kids, we kept buying cheaper and cheaper cameras and found out the worked as well as the more expensive ones and were easier to throw away and replace with another inexpensive model. I guess what I am trying to say is - don't spend too much on a point and shoot and plan on buying a new one every couple of years.

Before I bought the DSLR we went through a number of point and shoots. The first ones we bought were the priceyer Nikon Cool Pixs. They would break and be unrepairable and have to buy a new one. Over the years, for us and the kids, we kept buying cheaper and cheaper cameras and found out the worked as well as the more expensive ones and were easier to throw away and replace with another inexpensive model. I guess what I am trying to say is - don't spend too much on a point and shoot and plan on buying a new one every couple of years..
I've had my Canon S110 ELPH for seven years now. It still works fine. It is a very solidly built little camera. It has been on a lot of trips with us and it's not like we have taken good care of it. If it wasn't riding in my pocket, it was in a very chic but not so protective camera bag (a ziploc sandwich bag).
It would still be my main camera if the cycle time wasn't so slow on it (it was fast compared to other cameras at the time, but doesn't compare to how fast the new panasonic can capture a shot) The new Panasonic is about the fastest cycle time you can get (at the moment) to capture a shot without using an SLR. Too soon to tell how it rates in the longevity category...I'll be happy if it lasts half as long as my Canon has.

Before I bought the DSLR we went through a number of point and shoots. The first ones we bought were the priceyer Nikon Cool Pixs. They would break and be unrepairable and have to buy a new one. Over the years, for us and the kids, we kept buying cheaper and cheaper cameras and found out the worked as well as the more expensive ones and were easier to throw away and replace with another inexpensive model. I guess what I am trying to say is - don't spend too much on a point and shoot and plan on buying a new one every couple of years..
I had a Cool Pix for years...and it still works fine...which is why I bought a newer version. Never had any problems whatsoever with any of them. If I was in the market for a new one...I would probably buy another.

I had a Cool Pix for years...and it still works fine...which is why I bought a newer version. Never had any problems whatsoever with any of them. If I was in the market for a new one...I would probably buy another.
Our son gave DH a Coolpix S220. Just ordered a second battery fo it so we will always have a charded one ready to go.

Our son gave DH a Coolpix S220. Just ordered a second battery fo it so we will always have a charded one ready to go.
The really nice thing about my P 50 is that it uses regular AA batteries. The old one I had used special batteries which cost a fortune..I had 5 of them constantly recharging etc etc. So that was a requirement when I bought this one...I could buy it's batteries anywhere anytime. I use the more expensive Lithium AA and they last forever in this camera.

The really nice thing about my P 50 is that it uses regular AA batteries. The old one I had used special batteries which cost a fortune..I had 5 of them constantly recharging etc etc. So that was a requirement when I bought this one...I could buy it's batteries anywhere anytime. I use the more expensive Lithium AA and they last forever in this camera.
Just ordered his second battery. It was $10 & change with free shipping.

Agreed, the one reason to UPGRADE your camera is battery life, to be able to use rechargable AA's and they last so much longer, the cameras are THAT much faster as well, you can snap snap snap with the autofocus now. I didn't realize this until I upgraded. The SD cards are so darn cheap too!

I would like to see the pictures you took with it. You can e-mail me off line if you wish.

Back