New Disability Regulations

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 26

Reaction score
Just read this article ...
sound familiar?
we JUST HAD a man call to ask if the little boat that takes people out to the boat moorings is handicap accessible. i asked in what way handicapped? meaning, would he or this person need physical assistance, can they climb, do they have a service animal, can they see, etc. his answer, 'it's illegal for you to ask me that' and he hung up.
??
i don't handle boat moorings but the general store does. it's a little tiny operation.
i am able bodied and i have trouble climbing down off the dock onto the little transport motor boat and then climbing from the little motor boat to a boat moored in the harbor ... so i can't even imagine what someone who is visually or physically impaired would need.

Our State hospitality lobbyist is going to get me the set of rules. I have been asked to be on the sub-committee discussing this. She is going to include me in the next conference call if it is OK with me and I said yes.
From what we are seeing, they are demanding a retrofit of the retrofit that was required of hotels in the old rules - not just new construction. No word yet as to how it affects B & B. DH who IS mobility handicapped (since he was 12) and even more now with the post-polio thinks it is asinine to apply new rules to old construction. I will keep you updated when I know more.

i asked in what way handicapped? meaning, would he or this person need physical assistance, can they climb, do they have a service animal, can they see, etc. his answer, 'it's illegal for you to ask me that' and he hung up.
Bahh! Since he was asking you a question that was not about your business and you needed more info to answer his question, it was definitely NOT illegal for you to ask for the nature of the disability. As you implied, handicap accessible means so many different things, it is not JUST wheel chair accessible.
Perhaps he wanted you to run down a list LOL
  • Wheel chair - no
  • walker - no
  • missing arm - yes
  • missing 2 arms - no

Given you read that article and someone is already looking to see who has accessibility, it sounds like what they quoted as a 'drive-by lawsuit'. I guess we all have to wait and see if it passes and what would be required by us to fix.
At least they are addressing the service animal aspect and limiting it to 'domestic' animals.

I agree...I would have given him the phone number for the boat place. You can't be expected to really know the accessibility of another business. Sounds like a "fishing" expedition. Pun intended....haha!

Back