New Food Pics

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Hmmn, the clarity is much better in the real photos. So I guess we're just looking at composition. I don't have the actual files yet, just copying them from a website.

Round two, I am torn. I love the bites taken approach but it looks "messy". So I think I vote for the bottom, less interesting but cleaner.

I am being contrary but I like the bottom one better - to me, the steak is the star of the plate and it looks more appetizing in the bottom photo. I might crop it around the steak as well..
muirford said:
I am being contrary but I like the bottom one better - to me, the steak is the star of the plate and it looks more appetizing in the bottom photo. I might crop it around the steak as well.
Right, I didn't add my cropping preference, the top one definitely needs the bottom inch of the image cropped. :)

Ok, here's a new round. Remember, these have not been edited at all, they're coming straight from the camera. He's going to clean up the sides of the baking dish, etc.
Top or Bottom?
Lasagna1.jpg

Lasagna2.jpg
Neither, I am afraid.
Background is too busy, lasagne would look great on it's own - a big chunk of it on a plate with a garnish, even chopped parsley on the plate. Lasagne is on of those foods I would consider difficult to photograph. (sorry to say)

Ok, here's a new round. Remember, these have not been edited at all, they're coming straight from the camera. He's going to clean up the sides of the baking dish, etc.
Top or Bottom?
Lasagna1.jpg

Lasagna2.jpg
Neither, I am afraid.
Background is too busy, lasagne would look great on it's own - a big chunk of it on a plate with a garnish, even chopped parsley on the plate. Lasagne is on of those foods I would consider difficult to photograph. (sorry to say)
You're right. It was difficult. I'll look through some of the other photos to see if we can crop and/or zoom

Top or Bottom?
Lasagna1.jpg

Lasagna2.jpg
I'm not liking either. I think the lighting needs to be brought up a bit. With the steak you had the veggies popping. Even tho you don't serve this 'on the plate' you might try photographing it out of the casserole so you can see more than the cheesy top. I'd love it but I probably wouldn't order it. Or. if keeping it in the casserole, put something on top like a sprig of parsley or rosemary. (We used the same dang mint leaves for all of my breakfast shots. It's not something I put on the plates everyday, I just needed something 'at the intersection' where the different foods met on the plate!)

Is this one any better? The dish will be cleaned up in photoshop
Lasagna3.jpg
In my opinion, they are still too yellow- and busy. I understand you probably serve the lasagna in it's own ramekin, but can you photo it on a different plate? Green salad-thingy near it, just for color? Salad can even be fuzzy.

I think I'll have him edit the lasagna pics quite a bit. He can experiment with the light/color and there's probably a shot he took that he can zoom in and focus on the cheesy goodness. I think I'll leave this one alone until he gets a chance to edit.
Thanks everyone.
Oh, by the way, here's the pic that's on the website now. It's a stock photo. I think whatever we come up with has to be better than the one the web developer chose!
image-body-dinner-2.jpg

I think I'll have him edit the lasagna pics quite a bit. He can experiment with the light/color and there's probably a shot he took that he can zoom in and focus on the cheesy goodness. I think I'll leave this one alone until he gets a chance to edit.
Thanks everyone.
Oh, by the way, here's the pic that's on the website now. It's a stock photo. I think whatever we come up with has to be better than the one the web developer chose!
image-body-dinner-2.jpg
Get your guy to zoom in! The close up helps.

i love the blurring of the background. just love it. and i don't mind yellow, lots of yellow ... but i agree, a bit of green, salad or parsley, to balance the dish of lasagna.
what is it they put on all the boxes of foods and food ads ... 'serving suggestion' i think.

Less bread...more main course, please.
wink_smile.gif
I think that's why I like the bottom photo of the steak, too.
The plates look bare or lonely to me, like they need a garnish or a fork or something to give them a bit more scale.
Yum, yum, yum....

Re: Lasagna - prefer the bottom pic. I don't think that having it partially eaten does anything to enhance it. Some green would be great - salad greens on the plate next to it?
I'm kinda turned off by the veggies & bread. They are the exact same ones from the steak pictures. Where's the variety? These look like frozen mixed veggies that get boiled or steamed and are bland & chewy. Sorry to be so critical, but I've had them served to me plenty of times in restaurants and it irritates me that something which could be so good is replaced by a cheap, easy version that's not even edible.
I just recommend that you use a different kind of bread & veggie in the pics so they guests don't feel like they will get the same thing every night with just a different protein.

Re: Lasagna - prefer the bottom pic. I don't think that having it partially eaten does anything to enhance it. Some green would be great - salad greens on the plate next to it?
I'm kinda turned off by the veggies & bread. They are the exact same ones from the steak pictures. Where's the variety? These look like frozen mixed veggies that get boiled or steamed and are bland & chewy. Sorry to be so critical, but I've had them served to me plenty of times in restaurants and it irritates me that something which could be so good is replaced by a cheap, easy version that's not even edible.
I just recommend that you use a different kind of bread & veggie in the pics so they guests don't feel like they will get the same thing every night with just a different protein..
K9 said:
I just recommend that you use a different kind of bread & veggie in the pics so they guests don't feel like they will get the same thing every night with just a different protein.
Yes, they are the same bread and veggies. We are not a restaurant, but do have a restaurant license so we can offer this service. No other b&bs around here are able to do this legally. These are dinners that are room service and special order. They typically will order dinner for 1 night during their stay, so they would have no idea that it would be repeated. The only way I can do it is to make it simple and easy. I'm not spending hours and hours shopping or preparing. We are a romantic getaway and people tend to stay in their rooms a lot and don't want to leave, especially in the winter and shoulder seasons when we get a lot of storms. The is a major benefit for our guests and the response has been wonderful, both before and after they have their dinner.
I feel strongly about truth in advertising, so I'm not going to add to a picture things that aren't there when they actually get it delivered. No salad/greens because our nearest market is 25 minutes away and I can't take hours out of my day to get fresh greens for 1 dinner. The veggies are from frozen, but the way I cook them they are still crisp and bright. The last guest that ordered dinner said "oh, how beautiful, I know those came from a farmer's market".
I think also what will pull these shots together is that the big wide shot at the top of the page will be the table showing both the fillet & lasagna on the set table so you will see that it's just waiting for you to sit down and eat. No big deal that the breads and veggies are the same.

Not trying to Hijack anything but I saw this and was just appauled by this photo. This shouldn't happen at a place charging $695 a night! I know it is a blossom from some type of bottle brush bush/tree but it sure looks like steam/smoke coming out of the transom window.
barn-luxury-4.jpg

Back