New Food Pics

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Breakfast Diva

Reaction score
Last week I had photos taken of some of our dinner choices for our website. I just got a peek at them and I think there's some real good stuff. No editing has been done yet, but what's your vote: top or bottom?
Filet.jpg

filet2.jpg

YES...TOP! But it would have been better without the aluminum foil on the potato

I bet the # of people who order your dinners will quadruple now...did you get any red wines with the red meat? Or would that remind you of blood too much in an image? Mmm bloody red meat topped with blue cheese or gorgonzola...may I place my order now?

I bet the # of people who order your dinners will quadruple now...did you get any red wines with the red meat? Or would that remind you of blood too much in an image? Mmm bloody red meat topped with blue cheese or gorgonzola...may I place my order now?.
Joey Bloggs said:
I bet the # of people who order your dinners will quadruple now...did you get any red wines with the red meat? Or would that remind you of blood too much in an image? Mmm bloody red meat topped with blue cheese or gorgonzola...may I place my order now?
I'll have what she's having ;)

I am being contrary but I like the bottom one better - to me, the steak is the star of the plate and it looks more appetizing in the bottom photo. I might crop it around the steak as well.

YES...TOP! But it would have been better without the aluminum foil on the potato.
I decided to keep the aluminum foil because the skin wasn't going to look crisp and inviting. We do actually serve the dinners with the potato in the foil because I cook it the fast way. I nuke it 3/4 done, then wrap in foil and bake them while the other things are cooking. I wanted the photos to look good, but also really represent what they're really going to see on their plates when they have their dinner delivered.

Top. The bottom one has too much out of focus..
That was his attempt to use some of JR's techniques. They tend to do a lot of blurry background and focus on one item.
Oh, I like the effect. I just think that it's too much in the bottom picture. It's more subtle an effect in the top picture. It draws you to the steak without being too obvious.

I bet the # of people who order your dinners will quadruple now...did you get any red wines with the red meat? Or would that remind you of blood too much in an image? Mmm bloody red meat topped with blue cheese or gorgonzola...may I place my order now?.
Joey Bloggs said:
Most of the shots we took had empty wine glasses. Beverages don't come with the dinners, so I was afraid to include them in the shots. Our guests seem to be very literal about what they see in the pictures around here! What's in the wine glass now is just sparkling cider, but it does look like white wine!
We have a wine selection where they can buy a bottle from our gift area. $$$$
I'm with you JB, I want that baby rare or med rare. It's criminal how a lot of people order this wonderful cut of meat well done! I hurts me every time I have to cook one that way.

Thanks everyone! The top one it is!
I'll probably do a couple more comparisons in awhile.

Joey Bloggs said:
Most of the shots we took had empty wine glasses. Beverages don't come with the dinners, so I was afraid to include them in the shots. Our guests seem to be very literal about what they see in the pictures around here! What's in the wine glass now is just sparkling cider, but it does look like white wine!
I'm with you JB, I want that baby rare or med rare. It's criminal how a lot of people order this wonderful cut of meat well done! I hurts me every time I have to cook one that way.
I would think wine comes with dinner, too. You should state that clearly. 'For illustrative purposes only.' If you decide to do another version of the dinner you might want to put out a water glass instead. Can guests bring their own wine? Can you sell wine? 'Guests are encouraged to bring their favorite wine to enjoy with dinner.'

Joey Bloggs said:
I would think wine comes with dinner, too. You should state that clearly. 'For illustrative purposes only.' If you decide to do another version of the dinner you might want to put out a water glass instead. Can guests bring their own wine? Can you sell wine? 'Guests are encouraged to bring their favorite wine to enjoy with dinner.'
Madeleine said:
Our dinner page is very clear about the beverages:
"Our prix fixed dinner is $65 per couple. Beer, wine & sparkling cider may be purchased from our gift pantry. Complimentary coffee, tea & hot cocoa are available from our 24 hour beverage table."
We also state: Substitutions are politely declined. (I'm not going through all the dietary restriction nonsense like at breakfast!)

Ok, here's a new round. Remember, these have not been edited at all, they're coming straight from the camera. He's going to clean up the sides of the baking dish, etc.
Top or Bottom?
Lasagna1.jpg

Lasagna2.jpg

Back