New "free" directory for B&B's

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Alibi Ike

Reaction score
OK, this just popped up in a Google alert...innfan.com
I went looking for my place and lo and behold they have totally copied my homepage. And I'm not the only one. So, questions:
  • Will this hurt me because it is my exact homepage on their site?
  • Will it always be up to date (as they say) or will it go out of date as soon as I make a change?
  • I can pay them to remove the ads from 'my page' on their site. Oh joy. OK, that wasn't a question but an observation.

Hey, Canada doesn't even exist. And apparently you get better placement on their map if you help spell their name.

The site is not user friendly at all, very clunky. Why would anyone use it? It doesn't give you any information.

The site is not user friendly at all, very clunky. Why would anyone use it? It doesn't give you any information..
I'm not really caring about anyone using it, I'm caring about whether or not this counts as 'duplicate content' in Google's eyes. It's not even a 'rewording' it's the exact page.
But, yes, very unfriendly for users. Set up to garner the money for getting the ads off your page.

There is a frame of our page. I have used a google tool to remove sites that make a frame of our page before. i will look it up. I think google did solve the issue they had with iframes though.

There is a frame of our page. I have used a google tool to remove sites that make a frame of our page before. i will look it up. I think google did solve the issue they had with iframes though..
Please post here. Otherwise I may just contact them and tell them to remove it.

Hey, Canada doesn't even exist. And apparently you get better placement on their map if you help spell their name..
Eric Arthur Blair said:
. . . And apparently you get better placement on their map if you help spell their name.
As I was typing their name into the browser to see what you meant, my mind automatically added "tile" to the end of innFan. I must have ESP.
Interesting that clicking on the map only brings up a picture of the map, not any actual navigation.

There is a script that breaks the frame and allows the person to land on your site. I used to use one on google images. I can't find the thing that we used to before when someone stole our site.

Duplicate content is largely only a problem if it is on your own site (2 identical pages on your site). What is in the iframe is not seen as duplicate content at all. It is your site. The snippet above the iframe is actual text, so that is a duplicate. However, the methods being used by this scraper site are so bad that they will likely never have any effect of showing up above your own site unless your own site is SERIOUSLY flawed (yours isn't).
So for your own site health, I wouldn't worry about it. From your own "don't steal my content and profit from it" point of view, I would contact them and demand they remove it.
Simple frame Buster
<script type="text/javascript">
if(top != self) top.location.replace(location);
</script>

Advanced Frame Buster (harder to defeat)
<style> html{display : none ; } </style>
<script>
if( self == top ) {
document.documentElement.style.display = 'block' ;
} else {
top.location = self.location ;
}
</script>

Duplicate content is largely only a problem if it is on your own site (2 identical pages on your site). What is in the iframe is not seen as duplicate content at all. It is your site. The snippet above the iframe is actual text, so that is a duplicate. However, the methods being used by this scraper site are so bad that they will likely never have any effect of showing up above your own site unless your own site is SERIOUSLY flawed (yours isn't).
So for your own site health, I wouldn't worry about it. From your own "don't steal my content and profit from it" point of view, I would contact them and demand they remove it.
Simple frame Buster
</script>

<script>
if( self == top ) {
} else {
}
</script>.
So the frame buster prevents this sort of thing from happening or stops it after it does or both?

Simple frame Buster
</script>

<script>
if( self == top ) {
} else {
}
</script>.
So the frame buster prevents this sort of thing from happening or stops it after it does or both?
The frame buster makes it so that if a website puts yours in a frame, when the page appears in a browser, your site will break free of the frame so all people will see is your site, and not the site that put yours in a frame.

Simple frame Buster
</script>

<script>
if( self == top ) {
} else {
}
</script>.
The frame buster makes it so that if a website puts yours in a frame, when the page appears in a browser, your site will break free of the frame so all people will see is your site, and not the site that put yours in a frame.
Not trying to be dense here, but if I add that code to my website, then it breaks the frame on the other website, because...

Simple frame Buster
</script>

<script>
if( self == top ) {
} else {
}
</script>.
Not trying to be dense here, but if I add that code to my website, then it breaks the frame on the other website, because...
... because the code says "am I in a frame?" and if the answer is "yes" then the page says "get me out of here and pop me into a browser window all by myself."

This is just plain wrong. I received this spam today in my email box from the creator of innfan.com. It started with the usual, chatter about how it is a new kind of directory and why the world needs it. At the bottom of this email are two calls to action. One to pay for your listing if you want the ads removed. I can't fault this, it is a legitimate method of trying to earn some money.
The other is this
"You will notice there are two ads at the bottom of your listing. These should open up in the same window when clicked on, as opposed to popping up a new window which some viewers don't like. If this is not the case, please let me know."
In other words, go make two ad clicks to verify that they open the way he said they do. What he doesn't say is that by testing his ads, he will be paid for each click.
What he also doesn't mention is this kind of thing is against the terms of service of using Google Adsense on your website. You aren't allowed to tell people to click on the ads on your site.

This is just plain wrong. I received this spam today in my email box from the creator of innfan.com. It started with the usual, chatter about how it is a new kind of directory and why the world needs it. At the bottom of this email are two calls to action. One to pay for your listing if you want the ads removed. I can't fault this, it is a legitimate method of trying to earn some money.
The other is this
"You will notice there are two ads at the bottom of your listing. These should open up in the same window when clicked on, as opposed to popping up a new window which some viewers don't like. If this is not the case, please let me know."
In other words, go make two ad clicks to verify that they open the way he said they do. What he doesn't say is that by testing his ads, he will be paid for each click.
What he also doesn't mention is this kind of thing is against the terms of service of using Google Adsense on your website. You aren't allowed to tell people to click on the ads on your site..
I got an email from them, too. Never read all the way thru it. Well, then, if anyone else gets it, they should all forward them to Google Adsense's spam management dept.

and it is a wordpress site too
http://www.innfan.com/wp-login.php
Which is totaly cool.... just saying.

Here is something I found interesting.
http://www.google.com/maps/user?uid=214855608665562862018&hl=en&ptab=2
So their maps reside at Google.

Here is something I found interesting.
http://www.google.com/maps/user?uid=214855608665562862018&hl=en&ptab=2
So their maps reside at Google..
I noticed that. Ran into it when I thought it was wierd that clicking on an inn from the map and selecting "more information" leads to a new innfan page being opened within the iframe so there is a page with an iframe within an iframe, so the property website ends up being in such a small iframe that you are essentially scrolling through the inn's website one little horizontal strip at a time.
Definitely not a great user experience, and nearly useless for any kind of SEO benefit for the directory.

Back