New Inn design: Fireplaces, gas or real wood burning?

Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum

Help Support Bed & Breakfast / Short Term Rental Host Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
We have a ventless propane gas fireplace..
MTLLodge said:
We have a ventless propane gas fireplace.
We have 2 ventless that were propane and just switched over to natural gas and 1 woodburner. That one is in the parlor and I am currently having a problem with getting good dry wood to burn. It would be easier if it was gas too. Just my 2 cents.

Our "city" house has a wood burning. At the lodge we have a have a fire pit oustside. As a guest I would want a wood burning but as an innkeeper NOT!

I wouldn't trust guests with a roll of selotape never mind an actual fire. we have a gas one in the lounge and it looks so real people tell me it wasn't necessary to go to so much bother to light it. My only consideration is how easy is it to get gas where you are? ie on the mains or do you have to have it delivered? mind you it is a good back up to the central heating.

Entrusting the guests with roaring fire.... Not safe.
Light up bonfire/ring fire OUTSIDE room, theme it something on the lines of "Perfect Escapde" or "Romantic Moods".
Although you need to be extra vigilant in case of ring fire, before some moron thinks he/she is fire-proof & starts hoping in & out of the circle!

We have woodburning but are considering conversion to a wood stove or gas. Unless what you have is ducted into a central air conditioning/heating system, you get a lot of waste heat going up the chimney. You also have to contend with creosote buildup with a woodburning system, which requires an annual cleaning by a professional chimney sweep. Then there is the cutting, splitting and stacking of the wood. If you pay someone else to do it, then your costs go up.
Gas, on the other hand, is clean and will actually heat the space in question. If you're going for ambience only and can handle the maintenance costs, then go with wood burning. If heating is a main concern, go with gas.

I wouldn't trust guests with a roll of selotape never mind an actual fire. we have a gas one in the lounge and it looks so real people tell me it wasn't necessary to go to so much bother to light it. My only consideration is how easy is it to get gas where you are? ie on the mains or do you have to have it delivered? mind you it is a good back up to the central heating..
I wouldn't trust guests with a roll of selotape never mind an actual fire.
Hee hee hee. That is too funny.

I wouldn't trust guests with a roll of selotape never mind an actual fire. we have a gas one in the lounge and it looks so real people tell me it wasn't necessary to go to so much bother to light it. My only consideration is how easy is it to get gas where you are? ie on the mains or do you have to have it delivered? mind you it is a good back up to the central heating..
"I wouldn't trust guests with a roll of selotape"
Indeed! I still remember the engineer guest who ripped off the top of the K-cup and dumped the grounds in the machine.
We have woodburning fireplace in the common and propane fireplace in the 3 lower level (and cooler) guest rooms. They are on a push-button timer, not a thermostat. Popular and useful in winter.
Lighting wood is tricky to avoid smoke and wood is messy, messy, messy. Not for guests unless you have houskeeping tend the fire.

“A wall of built-ins surrounds a wood-burning fireplace”
“Like idea, but not black fireplace”
“I like the area above the fireplace - sliding door hide the TV.”
“Wood burning stove...is this a wood stove or just a fireplace?”
“Built in wood stove in living room”

Back